375 H&H model 70 & Buffalo

Velo Dog, thanks for the PM and information. Thank you as well to everyone, it has me thinking that it's time to get off the fence and buy. I like mdwest's attitude of buying the rifle .... and the hunts will come. I've come close to getting back to SA for safari #2 and PawPrint and KMG were both where I was looking, but those plans fell apart on my end.

Definitely buy.

Wally Johnson carried a Winchester in 375 H&H, all his years as a PH, and it served him well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 5.57.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 5.57.42 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 415
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 5.58.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 5.58.17 PM.png
    730.2 KB · Views: 382
Velo Dog, thanks for the PM and information. Thank you as well to everyone, it has me thinking that it's time to get off the fence and buy. I like mdwest's attitude of buying the rifle .... and the hunts will come. I've come close to getting back to SA for safari #2 and PawPrint and KMG were both where I was looking, but those plans fell apart on my end.

hunting4sanity,

You are most welcome.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like many folks here My recommendation BUY it NOW!!! If you grew up shooting a 30/06 like allot of us. The 180gr round nose Winchester and Remington have the same drop as a 375H&H with a 300gr and the 168 corresponds to the 270gr. Pick a good quality bullet (I like Swift A-Frames and a solid) go practice allot and go shoot you buffalo. You didn't mention what kind of hunt you were looking for, so if you could list your preference. IE swamps in MOZ, or wilderness in ZIM, etc There are some great outfitters here on AH that can cover down on most any type of hunt you want. and Last if you don't buy your buddy's pre64 375 give me his phone number.

@hunting4sanity . You can't go wrong with a .375 H&H for most game animals in the world. I started shooting one 4 years ago and had decided about 3 years ago, that if you only can own one hunting rifle, this is the caliber to own! The two pics attached are a "new" model 70 safari express. Never fired that I can tell, definitely never hunted. Not an immaculate pre-64, but not $3000 either. The below rifle goes for $1100! PM me if you have interest.
IMG_0352.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG

A .375 will handle everything in Africa from duiker to Cape buffalo or elephant. A pre-64 model 70 is a very special thing. Value is all about original condition. Such a rifle could be worth anywhere between $800 and 4K. The caliber is not an issue. Make sure you know what you are buying with the rifle.

Get the 375 and shoot the buff!

You’ll regret neither.

Thanks for the continued responses. We're looking at 2019, the friend I'm trying to go with has buffalo hunted a couple times and wants free-range. Which country doesn't matter, right now. I've hunted KZN once and the areas we hunted were so big you couldn't find or see a fence most of the time, everything seemed natural and wild to me. Really hope we can get everything to come together.

The Model 70 and .375H&H will serve you well.....I bought mine when I was 14 (early 80s - rifle is a post 64 from @73) and have hunted all manner if game (including lots of Asiatic Buffalo in 85) with it since. Took it to Moz with me in 2015 and once again it didn't disappoint.

Attachments

• M70_375No1_zpsbd72cdef.jpg
    M70_375No1_zpsbd72cdef.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 352
@hunting4sanity . You can't go wrong with a .375 H&H for most game animals in the world. I started shooting one 4 years ago and had decided about 3 years ago, that if you only can own one hunting rifle, this is the caliber to own! The two pics attached are a "new" model 70 safari express. Never fired that I can tell, definitely never hunted. Not an immaculate pre-64, but not $3000 either. The below rifle goes for $1100! PM me if you have interest.View attachment 213103 View attachment 213104
Buy it! I almost did, but ended up with a RSM in .375 instead.

The Model 70 and .375H&H will serve you well.....I bought mine when I was 14 (early 80s - rifle is a post 64 from @73) and have hunted all manner if game (including lots of Asiatic Buffalo in 85) with it since. Took it to Moz with me in 2015 and once again it didn't disappoint.

If I’m not mistaken Finn Aagard’s 458 was a post-64 M70 and it served him very well, in many a tight spot, throughout many a year.

I shot about 90 precent of my african animals with a CZ 550 in .375 H&H mag and its a killer for sure. I shot this cow with a 9.3x62 MS, dead as a stick. les

DSCN9562 (4).JPG
DSCN9520 (2).JPG
DSCN9030 (2).JPG

Well the pre-64 went to my friend's son, certainly don't blame anyone for passing a rifle onto family. I'm getting ready to start working on some hand loads for the 375. To start I was going to work with some 300 grain Swift A-Frames and would like to try something in a solid as well. I've looked through old threads on here but would appreciate input. I've been looking at The Cutting Edge solid, Swift Break Away, Nosler and Woodleigh, but open to anything.

I just started final load development for my August buffalo hunt. My rifle is a Whitworth Express in .375 H&H. I decided to try the 300 grain A-frame along with the 300 grain Cutting Edge Safari Solid. My goals were 2500 fps and to get both bullets fairly close together on the target. I searched my old data and the load manuals I had laying around and decided to try Winchester 760 as my first powder, I loaded the A-frames in Remington brass and the CEB in Federal. I used the same starting load for both bullets. I fired my first two 3 shot groups, they crossed the chronograph screens just north of 2500 and grouped slightly over 1" at 100 yards from the bench rest, the best part was I could lay the targets on top of each other and still have a group of less than 2" for the 6 shots. I'll experiment a little more but for now I have a workable load from the start.

RL-15 and Northforks, pick a pair of softs and solid, run them up to desired speed, you won't have to do much load development. Good luck

.375 load with 300grn projectiles has also been with 760, 77gns to be specific. On the chrono they hover right around 2500 FPS with the Woodleigh Hydros I took to Africa and the rifle printed right around MOA with them.

I've had great results with 75gs of Win 760 2583 fps and tight groups even a 200 meters. I think Win760 is a underrated powder for DG Rifles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg