375 H&H for Elephant?

mitch4570

Reaction score
What does everyone think 375 H7H enough for elephant. Has anyone shot a tusker with the 375 H&H if so I would really like to hear the tale, and bullet performance.

Thanks in advance
Mitch

Welcome to AH Mitch, never done it myself, but many tuskers have fallen to the .375HH.

David Sutherland, now a PH School owner in RSA and retired PH and Wildlife Manager told lots of tales about caliber choice and his is .375 H&H for Elephant.

I'll tell you some day if it does the job.
Not yet though.

David Sutherland, now a PH School owner in RSA and retired PH and Wildlife Manager told lots of tales about caliber choice and his is .375 H&H for Elephant.

I'll tell you some day if it does the job.
Not yet though.

I sure seem to hear this a lot. And, that its all about shot placement!!!! :)

Harry Manners the famous elephant hunter swore by the .375 .He later on used as his back up rifle for safari hunting.I know quite a few PH'S that still use it for back up.Once again a .375 with correct shot placement is better than a .500 with bad shot placement.

As with any animal, where you hit it is much more important than what you hit it with. Provided that you are backed up by a professional with the firepower to help if things go ape-shit, then a 375 with a premium 350 grain bullet is enough gun for elephant. At the close ranges that elephants are hunted, a premium 350 grainer at around 2300 fps is probably your best option in a 375. YOU will have to discuss the hunt with your PH, decide before-hand whether it will be a brain shot or a heart shot, and load accordingly.

As with any animal, where you hit it is much more important than what you hit it with. Provided that you are backed up by a professional with the firepower to help if things go ape-shit, then a 375 with a premium 350 grain bullet is enough gun for elephant. At the close ranges that elephants are hunted, a premium 350 grainer at around 2300 fps is probably your best option in a 375. YOU will have to discuss the hunt with your PH, decide before-hand whether it will be a brain shot or a heart shot, and load accordingly.

Solids for elephant in my opinion. And yes, with good shot placement .375 is enough gun. HERE is an article I wrote a while back that I believe might give some insight as to (1) how critical shot placement is and (2) the penetrative abilities of a .375.

With Docman and CT on this one, it and I regard it as good for Elle 375's are well known for good penetration even on Elle skulls, as a hunter a good choice.
It lacks the stopping characteristics I prefer as a primary back up rifle though, I would not rate it as a stopper.

My best always..

Solids for elephant in my opinion. And yes, with good shot placement .375 is enough gun. HERE is an article I wrote a while back that I believe might give some insight as to (1) how critical shot placement is and (2) the penetrative abilities of a .375.

Great article.... Thanks Chris!

Being on this site is just like hunting - you must be patient and keep looking constantly and you will always see new things!

What does everyone think 375 H7H enough for elephant. Has anyone shot a tusker with the 375 H&H . . . .

Mitch,
I took my elephant bull with a frontal brain shot using a 375 H&H and a 300gr solid back in '93. The bull dropped straight down at the shot. I would likely use one of my larger caliber rifles today, but my trusty and well used 375 H&H is what I had at the time. With proper shot placement it will do the job just fine and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again on elephant.

Thanks everyone for the great info and interesting and informative articles.This is a great forum site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!