375 H&H Fed loaded 300gr Hydros - Softpoint Companion?

Edge

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
PA, OH, NM, ND, AL, FL, MD; Spain, EC/KZN/MP South Africa, Zimbabwe x 2, Mozambique, Cameroon
I'm using 375 H&H Federal Woodleigh 300gr Hydros and wondered if anyone has experience with a factory load for a 300gr expanding/soft point that shoots to the same point of aim or close enough?

Thank you

Edge

I don't really see a point in firing solids from a 375, all you will ever need is a good expanding bullet.

I recommend Barnes 270gr TSX or Swift 300gr A-frame.

-matt

I haven't fired the Hydros in a 375 H&H, but at least in my 375 several bullets go to very similar points of impact. 250 gr Sierra SBT, 270 gr WW Power Points, 270 gr Hornadys, 300 gr Hdy and Sierras are all within a 2 inch circle at to 150 yards. I think the 235 Speer would be similar if I loaded it to a little slower velocity. these are all gilding jacket/lead core so I suspect the main difference with the Hydros is that they are going to have a different resistance through the bore and might be closer to the mono-metal bullets. The 375 that I have and the others that I'm familiar with all seem to shoot several bullet weights to similar points of impact, so I'd be surprised if yours was different.

@matt85 Solids are a good choice for elephants, and second, up the butt shots at a fleeing Cape buffalo, among other uses. Anytime you want maximum penetration.

Could try Remington Premier 300gr A frames. Had some really terrific performance out of that bullet on everything from eland down to duiker. I'm handloading but had a few boxes and frankly they print on top of the handloads and pair with the traditional Woodleigh 300gr solids.

@matt85 Solids are a good choice for elephants, and second, up the butt shots at a fleeing Cape buffalo, among other uses. Anytime you want maximum penetration.

solids are a good choice for elephants but the 375 is a poor choice for elephants. its sort of like using a 223 for deer... it will work but its not really great for the task.

there is no reason to use solids on buffalo these days, modern bullets have made this practice obsolete. if your shooting a fleeing animal and the only option is strait up the tail pipe then aim for the hips or the spine. a good premium expanding bullet will get plenty of penetration from a 375 H&H and do a great deal more damage then a solid.

-matt

So first, to the OP’s question, it depends on the rifle. In my R8, 300 gr Federal loaded Hydros and A-Frames both shoot MOA and the two groups are less than 1 1/2 inches apart vertically at 100 meters. That is about as good as I would ever expect from factory loads and worked great in the field for me.

The Hydro is a bit different than other solids and has a different and larger use envelope. I have used them on bear in North America (in 9.3 guise) and a variety of PG in Africa in .375. I have not used them on DG. They act just like any other solid, but seem to do significantly more internal damage. They do not do the internal damage of a quality soft point. As a client, I prefer something like an A-Frame for buffalo. With the Hydro, you will get a pass-through and that can be problematic in a herd. They would be fine in back-up role for that going away shot, but I prefer a magazine full of A-Frames or TSX’s.

Last October, the Hydros worked perfectly on duiker and Suni (.375 holes coming and going) and cleanly took a Nyala while looking for the Suni. They would be great on elephant in a .375. I personally would use a larger caliber on elephant, but a 300 gr Hydro would reach the brain of any elephant that has ever lived, and solids have done so from the .375 many thousands of times. As noted above, a Hydro would do a bit more damage on a chest shot than a standard solid.

Last edited:
I can’t help with your exact request, but I used-to load 300 grain Woodleigh softs, solids and Hydros with 0.5 grains difference between each, with the solids having the least powder and the softs having the most. I never shot for groups, I simply went with the Woodleigh manual and they all seemed to print the same. I went hunting and heaps of buffalo, boars, wild cattle and a bull giraffe fell to those loads. They were accurate enough for plenty of 200m shots on the cattle. Sorry it doesn’t help much.

Folks would be surprised at the accuracy you can get with a range of same-weight ammunition.

I have used 300 grain Nosler partitions in 375.
Give those a go.

Hydro’s will be used on Elephant. I didn’t want this thread to turn into another solid vs soft discussion, just if anyone had a known Hydro / Soft pairing as a starting point. Each and every gun is different

Appreciate the spot on info @Red Leg @BenKK

Edge

Hydro’s will be used on Elephant. I didn’t want this thread to turn into another solid vs soft discussion, just if anyone had a known Hydro / Soft pairing as a starting point. Each and every gun is different

Appreciate the spot on info @Red Leg @BenKK

Edge
One of the PH’s in Mozambique inherited my remaining Hydros and used them the remainder of last season and this. He is a .375 man, who owns a .416. :whistle: My kind of guy! We last communicated about a month ago, but he had already cleaned up three or four elephant hunts with them, and was raving about their effectiveness.

Oh yes, you’re getting ready for your upcoming Zim DG hunt aren’t you? Can’t wait to read it!

One of the PH’s in Mozambique inherited my remaining Hydros and used them the remainder of last season and this. He is a .375 man, who owns a .416. :whistle: My kind of guy! We last communicated about a month ago, but he had already cleaned up three or four elephant hunts with them, and was raving about their effectiveness.

Good to hear about the Hydros!

Update: I just ordered Peregrine 300gr Bushmaster and solids (cheaper for load development/practice) to see if I can get them to shoot relatively quickly. Looks like I'm going to be on the road for business a lot between now and mid-Oct. If I can't get a load worked up I'll buy some factory loads or just go with the Hydro's for everything.

I have shot both the 300 grain Hydro and 300grain Woody soft points out of a CZ550 and Rem 700 in 375H&H. In both rifles they went to the same point of impact.

I agree with Red Leg. The Hydro is not as good as a soft where a soft is needed but does a better job than other solids in these situation. I have taken a few pigs with Hydros from 30cal, 358 and 375 and they work. I took my cape Buff with a 400grain Hydro from the 416 Rigby. Front on chest shot. Took the top of his heart. No complaints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross