375 H&H Factory Ammo for Buffalo?

Newby

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, North America, UK, Central Asia
Looking at Federal's 300 TBBC and 300 A-frame, if they both become available. Currently showing on the Federal web site as "Not Available". Federal Premium has been very accurate for me in a couple of calibres and a few rifles.

Open minded about Norma PH with the 350 Woodleigh, but thinking the recoil could be up there.

Would prefer to avoid monos. No particular reason in this case.

Has anyone got any significant experience with these loads on Buff ?

Thank you.:)

300 gr A Frame and TSX have worked perfectly for me. Would not hesitate with either.

300 gr A Frame and TSX have worked perfectly for me. Would not hesitate with either.
+1

It is not as fashionable anymore and it arguably will not retain its weight as well as the A Frame or the TSX, but the 300 gr Nosler Partition put an awful amount of buff in the salt for the last 70 years since its introduction in 1948. I would prefer A Frames or TSX (they keep together better), but if availability was an issue, I would use the 300 gr Partition without a second thought.

I’ve used Federal’s 300 grain TBBC on undisturbed cow water buffalo. I shot the animal side on from a distance of about 50m. Bullet failed to break shoulder bone, got deflected 90 degrees and ended up in the guts. This resulted in a long follow up and undue suffering. Had no issues with Barnes.

Looking at Federal's 300 TBBC and 300 A-frame, if they both become available. Currently showing on the Federal web site as "Not Available". Federal Premium has been very accurate for me in a couple of calibres and a few rifles.

Open minded about Norma PH with the 350 Woodleigh, but thinking the recoil could be up there.

Any of these three will be perfect with the right shot placement.

The 350gr woodie will have no recoil difference. It will also allow for a full frontal shot to be taken with confidence.

FD22C3D6-C2BF-453B-A718-848E8C0E6B7A.jpeg

how about Hippo? My Ruger #1 loves the Federal Premium TBBC and the ones topped with Swift A frames

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered Norma Oryx in 300gr?
A superb bullet. I've used it in my 30-06 and 375 and really rate it.
I would use it and plan to use it on Buffalo.
I also have some of the 350gr Woodleigh ammunition as well.

https://www.africahunting.com/index.php?threads/41228/

In camp this morning I was sighting in a .404J. 'After sighting in at 80 meters. I went to a 50mm thick gong about 200mm diameter. It hangs from a tow strap on a mopani pole, suspended from two forked mopani poles. When I would hit it with a hornady solid the thing would spin once and end up on the ground (with a small dent in the gong). When I switched to woodleigh hydro shock the gong, strap and branch would all land about 6 paces away. No dent, but about a 100mm splat on the gong. What did it prove? Hydro shocks sure knock the crap out of what they hit!

In camp this morning I was sighting in a .404J. 'After sighting in at 80 meters. I went to a 50mm thick gong about 200mm diameter. It hangs from a tow strap on a mopani pole, suspended from two forked mopani poles. When I would hit it with a hornady solid the thing would spin once and end up on the ground (with a small dent in the gong). When I switched to woodleigh hydro shock the gong, strap and branch would all land about 6 paces away. No dent, but about a 100mm splat on the gong. What did it prove? Hydro shocks sure knock the crap out of what they hit!
I have used the hydro a bit on game in both .375 and 9.3. They are, I believe, the best solid on the market. But they are still a solid. As a client, and if hunting buffalo, I would much prefer a magazine full of quality SPs.

@IvW I am not sure how a 350gr Woodleigh SP is different on a frontal than a 300gr TSX or A Frame. Yes, you should get deeper penetration, but a 300 will carve through everything that matters just as easily. I will admit, I have only taken two of my bulls with frontals, but the results were decisive with both an A Frame and a TSX.

I have used the hydro a bit on game in both .375 and 9.3. They are, I believe, the best solid on the market. But they are still a solid. As a client, and if hunting buffalo, I would much prefer a magazine full of quality SPs.

@IvW I am not sure how a 350gr Woodleigh SP is different on a frontal than a 300gr TSX or A Frame. Yes, you should get deeper penetration, but a 300 will carve through everything that matters just as easily. I will admit, I have only taken two of my bulls with frontals, but the results were decisive with both an A Frame and a TSX.

you should get deeper penetration

Straight line penetration that is

A 350 or 380 gr has better ability to over come the trampoline effect of the loose skin on a frontal.

Wait till a TSX does not open and slightly bends the nose and you will find that the bullet will not go straight but rather off to one side, the last thing you need on a frontal on buffalo. Chances are even bigger of that happening when taking a quartering frontal...

The heavy for caliber Woodleighs are also great but I would not choose one over the Rhino..

If you are having trouble finding the ammo you want, contact ChoiceAmmunition.com. On occasion, I have called them regarding items not listed on their website or listed as "out of stock" and they had what I was looking for. They might be a small bit more expensive, however I find their custom loads to be very accurate. Ed

Do the A-Frames have to be loaded by Federal? If not:

https://www.natchezss.com/ammo-375-h-h-300-gr-a-frame-2503-fps-20-ct.html

Can also check Hendershots custom ammo - perhaps a bit more expensive but I had good luck with their A-Frame loads for my 404J

... A 350 or 380 gr has better ability to over come the trampoline effect of the loose skin on a frontal...
"Trampoline effect of the loose skin" ? Never heard this one before. Care to expand on this a little but IvW?

"Trampoline effect of the loose skin" ? Never heard this one before. Care to expand on this a little but IvW?

Sure, let me finish my braai and dinner and I will explain.

We are talking about hunting old Cape Buffalo bulls here not young bulls or cows.

The front chest and neck area of such a bull is covered by thick loose skin which in some cases can be an inch thick. This skin is such to protect the underlying muscle during fighting as well as when moving(often headlong) through bush and brush.

The skin in this area is loose , incredibly tough yet supple, so that it can give way during fighting or moving through brush at speed. It possesses "give", the ability to be pushed in. This effect has the ability to absorb a bullets energy and further cause a bullet to expand rapidly even before it has penetrated the chest cavity.

This is referred to as the Trampoline effect.

When hunting DG the most important is shot placement, penetration from a premium grade bullet in an appropriate caliber.

The 375 H&H has probably killed more Cape Buffalo than any other, it is the minimum in most countries. It does have it's short comings. One is speed. 2550 fps is just a bit too fast. The higher the impact velocity the faster the bullet expands, add to this the trampoline effect and bullet failure is imminent. 2200-2400 fps with the right bullet would be better.

Heavier bullets of the right design posses better momentum and straight line penetration, than light bullets at high velocity.

300 gr should be the minimum in 375 H&H for Cape buffalo and 350 gr are a lot better and the 380 gr is probably the best.

Cup and core NP would be a dismal performer on a full frontal shot on a buffalo. It will rapidly expand on the thick loose skin, loosing a lot of weight before even entering the chest cavity, which will result in serious loss of momentum and penetration.

The 375H&H 300 grain Swift A-Frame is loaded by Federal, Swift and Norma among others.
I got mine from Swift because I like the nickel plated brass for slick reloading.

Loaded by Norma...the 350 grain Woodleigh Soft Nose or 300 grain Oryx would also be good choices.

Thanks for the responses:)

Looking like it will be the A- Frames, based on the fact that there seem to be are far more sources of factory loaded A-Frames than anything else.

Understandably loads like this are a limited production run with Federal and not always available from Federal. If I can't run down some Federal, one of the other sources mentioned here should work. A bit if internet research shows that both Norma and Sako also load the 300 A-Frame in 375 H&H, and surely one of those should shoot well if I can't find the Federal. Anything Norma is hard to find near me, so that cuts out the 350 Woodleigh PH ammo, although if I was prepared to hand load for the 375, I would certainly try the 350.

My (untested ) personal thought is that the A-Frames will probably not open as wide as TBBC, 300 Woodleighs, or 300 Oryx. I'm being a bit simplistic, but less expansion should help penetration.

And thanks for the info about the "trampoline effect". Makes sense to me.

Thanks again.(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you