Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA (Life), Safari Club Intl
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Canada(Saskatchewan), USA (Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska), Texas (Ya'll do realize Texas is a country right)
I want to hunt a Cape Buffalo.

I own a .375 H&H Safari Express Win Model 70 (Controlled Feed)

Do I need to buy a bigger caliber to hunt Cape Buffalo? I know the .375 is the minimum for dangerous game in many places, but is the minimum enough?

Thanks

Short answer is no! I have shot Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Lion and 20 other animals down to Springbok. They all died. 300 Grain Barnes will kick their ass. If you want a bigger gun go for it. It is not needed unless you screw up the shot. I do get it. Always wanted a .470 NE but WTF for? Saved my money and shot some more critters.

You have asked two opposite questions which might be confusing. My answer is:

1. No

2. Yes

The 375 will serve you well in a buffalo hunt.(y)

The 375 (H&H) is the minimum LEGAL caliber for hunting Cape Buffalo in some countries. I am fairly certain 9.3's and probably .338 Win Mag could be pretty effective. The governments are trying to keep hunters safe by setting a lower limit for calibers used on DG. From what I have seen and read, a 50BMG would be very reliable. Anything less can be dicey. Can be! I used a 375 and felt quite confident after my first shot. Lots of experience here, including Brickburn. Look back through hunting reports here and you will find corroborating reports. My outfitter suggested I use one gun for everything (375), but I had a long-held desire to use a specific smaller caliber on plains game. My 270 worked well for me, but everything I shot was less than 100 yards and standing still. That is how I hunt. The 375 would have worked across the board.

I have used it extensively. It is my preferred "buffalo" and everything else caliber with a quality 300 gr bullet.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. As Ridge Top mentioned, my preference would be to not buy another gun and use the saved money to shoot a plains game animal or two along with the Buffalo.

I am good about waiting for good angles and making the first shot count so I expect to put my shot in the lungs with the original Trophy Bonded Bearclaws. Dead animals have always been the result.

1. No

2. Yes

Thanks and Thanks :)

Yes.... but no.....

Yes it will... is legal. Many taken by less. Many taken by it. If had my rathers, do overs.... I’d carry .416 Rigby.

2 cents.

375 H&H worked for me this past October

0C201DEA-72AC-483C-BCFA-94FA4F021EB2.png

1. No

2. Yes

Ditto

If someone asked: "I am buying a buffalo gun, should I buy a .375 H&H?" I would answer: buy a .416 (insert here what you like: Rigby, Rem, etc. or .425, .404, etc.) they fly almost as flat as the .375 and hit noticeably harder. This is a fact. As to whether this is needed or not, that would be an opinion. Mine is: probably not strictly needed, but I cannot see where it would be detrimental.

Would I advise someone who already owns a .375 to buy an additional .416 to go buffalo hunting, the answer is no (unless money is no object). Spending the $ on plains game is a smarter option indeed.

If you want a bigger gun go for it. It is not needed unless you screw up the shot.
In addition, if you screw up the shot, you will need a LOT bigger gun than a .375 to make up for it, like a "field gun" as the Brits would call it, or a howitzer as we call it over here LOL. .416, .458, .470, .500 are unlikely to make up for a gut shot on buff... (and we all know that this is not what Ridge Top Ranch meant to say ;-)

Last edited:
@TERMINATOR i took a hippo with my 375H&H and at least one respondent to this thread took an elephant with one. It’s a great all around rifle. As someone mentioned if money is no object then a 416 would be a heck of a rifle to have!

If someone asked: "I am buying a buffalo gun, should I buy a .375 H&H?" I would answer: buy a .416 (insert here what you like: Rigby, Rem, etc. or .425, .404, etc.) they fly almost as flat as the .375 and hit noticeably harder. This is a fact. As to whether this is needed or not, that would be an opinion. Mine is: probably not strictly needed, but I cannot see where it would be detrimental.

Would I advise someone who already owns a .375 to buy an additional .416 to go buffalo hunting, the answer is no (unless money is no object). Spending the $ on plains game is a smarter option indeed.

In addition, if you screw up the shot, you will need a LOT bigger gun than a .375 to make up for it, like a "field gun" as the Brits would call it, or a howitzer as we call it over here LOL. .416, .458, .470, .500 are unlikely to make up for a gut shot on buff... (and we all know that this is not what Ridge Top Ranch meant to say ;-)

You nailed where my head is at.

If I was gonna buy a “Cape Buffalo Rifle” and didn’t own a .375 H&H I would probably buy a .416 or .458

But since I own the .375 I am planning to just roll with that unless it was definitely not enough

I am happy to hear that people generally think the ,375 will do the job

Agree, if you have one it will be fine. If you want to buy a rifle just for the big stuff, probably would buy a .40 plus, but it really isn't necessary. Put the bullet where it belongs and done. A gut shot animal is gut shot no matter what it was hit with.

The 404 Jeff or 416 Cartridges are better DG calibers, the 404 with modern loads probably the best for Buff.

You however own the best Medium bore in the 375 H&H and has been used extensively on all manner of DG. It is a superb cartridge.

Use a premium grade bullet and you will have no issues. Practice practice practice and remember first shot placement is what kills the buffalo not the size of the hammer.

I am old school and prefer heavy for caliber bullets. In the 375 H&H I would recommend 350-380 gr bullets which have given exceptional results on especially Cape Buffalo.

Good luck.

If I would own a .375, I would take it with me and hunt Buffalo with it. Having a familiar, proven rifle with you is certainly an asset. All kinds of weird things can happen on a hunt so I would not add any new variables to the equation. And .375 will certainly be enough when the shot placement is good.

I have a .338 Win Mag and decided to buy a .416 Rigby purely for DG. .338 and .375 recoilwise are about the same for me. However stepping up to .416 is forcing me to practice a lot more before I can say that I'm ready for the DG hunt with it. That practice is ongoing at the moment

375 Ruger shooting 300grain Swift AFrames backed by Northfork solids Took this buff. Only thing to remember is use a quality bullet and make your first shot count! You can use any number of larger calibers, but it won’t help much if you don’t hit them right. They are extremely tough and won’t think twice to seek out who just inflicted the pain.

6C67EB45-769F-4FEA-99E2-5FCB80FE67C2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg