375 H & H Bullets

Maui Kolohe Boy

AH member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I am currently planning my second cape buffalo hunt in Africa. Rented a 378 Weatherby using a 300 Barnes TSX bullet. Buff killed with one shot. Bullet mushroomed perfectly with the petals.

Just purchased a 375 H & H CZ 550 American Safari rifle with kevlar stock. Wanted to use Barnes TSX 300 grain for my soft point, but noticed that Barnes had discontinued their banded solid in 375. Contacted a company rep, who related that it was considered an armor piercing round by the BATF, therefore they had to discontinue it. Wanted to use a solid with the same point of impact as the Barnes TSX 300 grain bullet. Any suggestions?
Mahalo.

Why do you want to use a "solid" for Cape Buffalo? I believe the consensus is that you use an expanding bullet. IvW a Dangerous Game PH recommends the use of Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, North Forks, or Swift A Frames.

I agree with @Shootist43
Most PHs will not want you to have a solid for Cape Buffalo given that pass through is very likely and thus injury to other animals in the group very possible.

As you discovered on your first buff the Barnes 300 TSX is an excellent choice.
Stick with it.
I load the Barnes 270 TSX in my .375 H&H and use it for everything.

FWIW I asked 4 different PH's in camp that were all involved in buff hunts while I was there what their recommendation was for clients (I was in the initial phase of planning and considering a buff hunt for myself at the time).. without exception every one of them said .375 H&H loaded with either barnes tsx or swift a-frames (300gr)...

I agree....forget the solid.

No suggestions on the solid front.
It looks like you need to go back and repeat the first trips success with that BARNES.

Why do you want to use a "solid" for Cape Buffalo? I believe the consensus is that you use an expanding bullet. IvW a Dangerous Game PH recommends the use of Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, North Forks, or Swift A Frames.

Yes, I agree, but we are being told to bring solids as a back up. Will probably stick with the Barnes TSX, as it had already proven itself. Thank you everyone for your opinions. I appreciate it.

Yes, I agree, but we are being told to bring solids as a back up. Will probably stick with the Barnes TSX, as it had already proven itself. Thank you everyone for your opinions. I appreciate it.

I just returned. My PH wanted us to bring solids as well. I called Barnes and got same answer you did. They suggested the Nosler solids. I used those and they shot within an 1 1/2" of my 300 grains TSX in 375 H&h

I shot a buffalo a few weeks ago with all solids, 300gr Woodleighs. Dugga boy, no herd hunting with this PH, so no worries for pass troughs.

First through the heart and exited, second ended up in paunch, 3rd broke offside shoulder, 4th as he lay legs toward me and up into the brisket, lodged in spine. Skinners found 3 and 4, clean enough to reload.

Elephant the same, one in heart, second broke hip, third to brain, an extra just to be sure. None recovered.

They impact the same with Swift Aframes in 300gr for the 375 HH that I used on plains game in the same hunt. Aframes always perform for me, have shot many plains game to Eland with them in 375HH, 300RUM, and 270WIN.

Maui Kolohe Boy, I too used only Barnes TSX on my buffalo in September. I also had Hornady DGS that hit within 1” of the Barnes @ 100 meters that I used on smaller animals, duiker, jackal, etc.
In my MRC in 375 H&H I chronoed them both at about 2,530 FPS. The Federal Sledghammers were about 50 FPS slower and another 1” out.

The form of the Woodleighs and the Swift A-frames look closer to each other and might hit even closer if you can find both in the Federal line. Or if you handload.

Best of luck in your pursuit! And in your hunt!

@Maui Kolohe Boy ...I just went through the bullet selection for my .404 for a buffalo hunt next July. After talking to many hunters on this forum and my outfitter, it will be Barnes TSX for the buff. I am taking Nosler solids but only for a couple of small plains game after the buffalo hunt.

I just returned. My PH wanted us to bring solids as well. I called Barnes and got same answer you did. They suggested the Nosler solids. I used those and they shot within an 1 1/2" of my 300 grains TSX in 375 H&h
Wow....that sounds good. Would you be able to provide your loads for both bullets? Type of powder, amount of grains for the powder, and primer? I do handload.

Maui Kolohe Boy, I too used only Barnes TSX on my buffalo in September. I also had Hornady DGS that hit within 1” of the Barnes @ 100 meters that I used on smaller animals, duiker, jackal, etc.
In my MRC in 375 H&H I chronoed them both at about 2,530 FPS. The Federal Sledghammers were about 50 FPS slower and another 1” out.

The form of the Woodleighs and the Swift A-frames look closer to each other and might hit even closer if you can find both in the Federal line. Or if you handload.

Best of luck in your pursuit! And in your hunt!

Would you be able to provide me with the loads you utilized in both bullets.......Barnes TSX, and HornadyDGS? Grain bullet, powder, grains of powder, and primer? I do handload....

Wow....that sounds good. Would you be able to provide your loads for both bullets? Type of powder, amount of grains for the powder, and primer? I do handload.
68 grains of RL 15 for 300 grain Nosler solids

75 grains of RL 15 for 300 grain TSX

Federal gold medal match Magnum primers.

Would you be able to provide me with the loads you utilized in both bullets.......Barnes TSX, and HornadyDGS? Grain bullet, powder, grains of powder, and primer? I do handload....
Both were factory ammo. Barnes Vor-TX 300gr TSX and Hornady DGS 300gr.
The Barnes put 3 rounds in 5/8” and Hornady 3 rounds in <1” and 1” lower than the Barnes at 100 meters.

if you hand load then I recommend the 270gr TSX, it will out perform the 300gr TSX in the 375 H&H.

if you don't hand load then I recommend the 300gr Swift A-frame. there are a couple different companies that produce ammunition with this amazing bullet.

as mentioned before, you do not need solids for buffalo. if you plan to hunt elephant, hippo, or rhino then you will need solids but otherwise you are fine with just using expanding bullets.

-matt

They used to say that if you didn't know what bullet to use, use a Nosler Partition. That was with old school bullet tech. With current tech...substitute a TSX and you have a do-all bullet for anything requiring expansion.

As they say, it never happens without pictures, so here is mine. ONE shot 300 grn .375 TSX at 60 yds. factory ammo. The Barnes tsx performs like a solid as far as penetration with the expansion shock of a soft. Just make sure whatever bullet you choose shoots well in YOUR gun and you put it where it belongs.

977.JPG
976.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross