.375 H&H brass... holy crap!

Nevada Mike

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Saskatchewan, Old Mexico, British Columbia, Tanzania
I have the new LH Win Model 70 Classic Safari Express coming and started shopping for dies and components. I thought I paid a lot for RWS and Norma .404J brass, but the asking prices for 375 brass are insane. Prices as high as $262 for 50 hulls.

It seems brass by Quality Brass is available, but I know nothing about them. Anyone use this brass before?

Quality brass is ok IMO.. but it’s only ok… definitely not the best money can buy…

At those sort of prices you’re better off buying 3 boxes of the cheapest factory ammo you can find and reloading them once you burn through the ammo at the range

Check on Gunbroker. I just bought 50 new Winchester cases for less than $90. There was a bag of 50 new Rem. cases for a buy it now of $100. Prices are very high but in todays market those are reasonable. Good luck!

I just gave a box or 2 of once fired Federal Nickel cases to a friend to load up.

The last .375 cases (Remington) I bought from Cabelas over a year ago were $40 for 50 cases. It shows how stupid prices have become for reloading stuff. Mdwest is correct when he says to buy the least expensive factory ammo you can find and then reload those cases after firing. A few months ago, a local gun store had 300gr. PPU factory ammo for $21/10 rounds, as it was "pre pandemic" stock. I bought the last three boxes. I also bought their last three boxes of Remington .25-06 120gr Core Lokts for $20/box. I hate this! It's exhausting for all of us trying to find reasonably priced ammo and reloading stuff. This is the third time I've been through this and this time is the absolute worst "shortage" ever! Not even shotgun shells!

I too will be going through my reloading stuff and post on here items I don't need. I recently gave a box of .338WM to my friend's son who had bought a rifle but couldn't find ammo. It's absolutely ridiculous!

Yesterday I called my local gun shop about powder. During the past shortages he has been able to keep a reasonable stock on hand. Right now he has 2 shotgun powders. Pretty pathetic. All components are tough.
Bruce

I got sticker shock at the price of 500 NE ammo after buying the rifle. $150/20 for Hornady ammo was common. I discovered some online sources at $113/20 so bought several boxes. New Hornady brass $75/20 $55/50 bullets and 53 cents per charge in powder 4 cents per primer. So new brass with components was $108/20. Using my fired brass reduced the same reload to $1.67/round or $33.40/20. Ultimately it was better to buy loaded ammo and get the brass that way.
Also said by @YancyW and @mdwest
I have to add here that this was before the current shortages and jacked prices. The same box of Hornady bullets today is $85 to $130/50. However some brands of 500 NE ammo runs $265/10 rounds.
A PH said his 500 NE shells cost $20/round so didn't shoot unless he had to. That makes the same ammo $400/20 Whew doggies. 223 Rem anybody? :(

We play with what our heart desires and deal with the associated cost of ownership and operation.
We sometimes get to pet more then shoot.

In Canada I have been paying around $115 per 20 empty Hornady brass for my 470. Purchased one box of federal with a frames for the 470 it was $300 shipped. $15 a shot.

Prvi did have reasonable prices on 375 ammo and brass In Canada recently , but like everything else probably sold out.

I have the new LH Win Model 70 Classic Safari Express coming and started shopping for dies and components. I thought I paid a lot for RWS and Norma .404J brass, but the asking prices for 375 brass are insane. Prices as high as $262 for 50 hulls.

It seems brass by Quality Brass is available, but I know nothing about them. Anyone use this brass before?
I have 97 375 H&H cases once fired, some brass some nickel. $100 shipped . I assume to Nevada ?

Reactions: WAB
as a hoarder and known dumpester diver, i have been buying two when i only needed one(5000 primer,s needed-bought 10,000) over the years when things were less costly. i keep the primers-powder in a old refrigerator given to me by a friend. i have not been selling any of my hoard, but giving some to shooter friends, to give back when supplies loosen up some.

I have 97 375 H&H cases once fired, some brass some nickel. $100 shipped . I assume to Nevada ?
I am looking for decent brass with same headstamp. What do you have - all the same or mixed brass - don't want the nickel plated stuff, really.

Shipping to Arizona 85637.

Mike

P.S.
This seems like the place to toss this out since the discussion included changing calibers with other cases.
I understand from reading info that ammo needs to be in matching factory packaging when getting guns and ammo cleared at arrival in Africa.
What does one do with wildcat cartridges that have no factory box?
Do those inspecting compare bullet size in the case to the headstamp; ie 300 wm stamp with a 375 diameter bullet. Gun caliber stamping?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

You don't need a factory box, plastic ammo boxes are just fine. They just don't want the ammo rattling around in your suitcase or the box that is carrying your ammo in.

A wildcat could cause some problems since it will carry a different head stamp than a factory one would. When I was thinking of taking my 25-06 I picked up a hundred cases with that head stamp on them. I had been using old 30-06 cases before that. But on my only trip to South Africa then never did inspect the ammo.

I am looking for decent brass with same headstamp. What do you have - all the same or mixed brass - don't want the nickel plated stuff, really.

Shipping to Arizona 85637.

Mike
I’ll be home tomorrow , ill,look at it and send a picture. It is ammo I shot prepping for a trip last may .

Gee i thought we were being screwed in Australia, factory ammo in calibers other than
223 , 243, & 308 is getting low on stock as are some reloading components i now buy
PPU factory ammo its cheaper than some brass. its a little dirty but very good brass. purchased 100 rounds of PPU factory ammo 286 grain 9.3x62 to day for $38.00 a box of 20 norma brass is $250.00 per 100 but there is none in stock.

Last edited:

Norma brass can be found for $2/per.

I’ll be home tomorrow , ill,look at it and send a picture. It is ammo I shot prepping for a trip last may .
Thanks.

PM me?

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinaHedr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you