.375 H&H ammo recommendations for Cape Buffalo hunt

I’ve taken 9 buffaloes, first one with solids that the outfitter told me to use, 1988, never do that again. The last 8 have been taken with Barnes X bullets, they’ve worked great for me. I would like to try Swift A-frames on my Buffalo hunt this fall.

Grant Jones, we will be anxiously waiting for a full report and pictures of your success!

Thank you everyone for helping this "rookie", "newbee" sort this out, especially since I didn't mean to create a stir. Thank you Frederik: it is my first buffalo song. Hope to honor my father who took a cape buffalo in the 60's hunting in Tanzania. I will be glad to post a pic of it in a 6 weeks.
I am so honored to post this picture of my dagga boy, with my father's knife on the boss that was later used to work on the buff and with the Sauer 202 375 that my son bought me as a retirement gift. At 40 yards, I took one shot through the shoulders and lungs from a 300 grain Federal A Swift. It dropped 20 yards later. PH Simon Dzingai swears by the bullet. The dagga is estimated to be 13 years old. Neat part about it is the lion claw wound on one of its sides. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and encouragement! My dream to honor my father was been realized! I am so grateful to God and Leloma Safaris and Phillip Mafuta! And then to boot, I took a leopard the next day!

Cape buffalo w PH.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot a buffalo cow with 375 and 300 grs A-frame, first shot the cow fell on the spot.
I also shot a big Eland bull at 90 meters with 300 grs TSX, the bullet went thru a 3 inch mopanitree before it entered the sholder of tha Eland, this animal also fell on the spot.
My buff bull did I shoot with 470 NE and 500 grs A-Frame and 500 grs Barnes Solid, also worked very well.
Krieghoff_8.jpg

Last edited:
Grant Jones,

That is a dagga boy of note well done and congrats.

Please put up a report would love to her the story dagga boy one day and leopard the next you must have used all your luck in one trip.

I shot a buffalo cow with 375 and 300 grs A-frame, first shot the cow fell on the spot.
I also shot a big Eland bull at 90 meters with 300 grs TSX, the bullet went thru a 3 inch mopanitree before it entered the sholder of tha Eland, this animal also fell on the spot.
My buff bull did I shoot with 470 NE and 500 grs A-Frame and 500 grs Barnes Solid, also worked very well.View attachment 402071
Was that with Chivic Safaris?

One issue with the 375 is there is almost zero factory ammo available, anywhere.

Yes I hunted with Chivic African Safaris, excellent Outfitter and PH, Fantastic place.
I also shot 2 bushbucks on this trip,
View attachment 402072
Nice Bushbuck, Don't worry I know then well that is where I hunted my buff cow and a few friends of mine also hunted there for their buffs.
This year my son wil hunt for his buff cow in July school Holiday.

I am so honored to post this picture of my dagga boy, with my father's knife on the boss that was later used to work on the buff and with the Sauer 202 375 that my son bought me as a retirement gift. At 40 yards, I took one shot through the shoulders and lungs from a 300 grain Federal A Swift. It dropped 20 yards later. PH Simon Dzingai swears by the bullet. The dagga is estimated to be 13 years old. Neat part about it is the lion claw wound on one of its sides. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and encouragement! My dream to honor my father was been realized! I am so grateful to God and Leloma Safaris and Phillip Mafuta! And then to boot, I took a leopard the next day!

View attachment 402069
That is a magnificent old bull. I am confident that your father's spirit was as proud as you deservedly were.

View attachment 402069
WOW. What a bull.....That's truly an old warrior! Sounds like the 375 did what it's been doing for years. When I first went to Australia with a 375 and shot several water buffalo, I truly wondered why anyone needs anything else.

View attachment 402069
Perfect buffalo

Win 70 375HH. Barnes 350gr TSX ahead of 63gr of 4064 at 30 yds. One shot kill on buf. Head on and went in and out stem to stern.

View attachment 402069

That is a fine Buffalo sir, congratulations! Your choice of bullet was spot on!

Barnes TSX 270gn worked well for me last time. Going to try 300gn Swift A Frames on my next Buff hunt next year

IMG_5119.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your wonderful hunting experience!!! And thank you very much for the report on your choice of ammo. I sure am looking forward to my trip over this September!!

I would like to ask following.
In case a hunter goes to hunt buffalo with 375 H&H, and later plans to take few of the plains game species, in the range for example from steinbok to kudu, what 375 H&H ammo could be considered for this use?
Or, it will have to be one type of ammo for buffalo, other for PG?

I would like to ask following.
In case a hunter goes to hunt buffalo with 375 H&H, and later plans to take few of the plains game species, in the range for example from steinbok to kudu, what 375 H&H ammo could be considered for this use?
Or, it will have to be one type of ammo for buffalo, other for PG?
This is not any problem at all, you need to have ammo for the specific hunt.
I shot buff cow and bushbuck with the same ammo 300 grs A-Frame loaded with 69,5 grs Norma 203B.
this worked very good on both.
Another time I shot Impala, Waterbuck, Oryx, Springbuck and Red Hartebeest with 260 grs Accubond.
And last I shot a Red Duiker using a factoryload 300 grs Solid manufacturer is PMP, I also shot a Worthog with same ammo.
I shot Eland and Worthog with 270 grs Barnes TSX, and Nyala with Barnes 300 grs TSX.
All of this animal dropped at the spot with shot in the shoulder,
The red Duiker got the solid right behind the shoulder, just for avoiding hitting bones.
So you can use your fantastc 375 H&H Mag on everything.
I think this caliber are one of the best caliber for everything on this planet.
Good luck with your reloading and shooting, most important is shooting straight.

My next safari, hopefully this year I will bring my Blaser R93 in 375 H&H Mag, I have loaded the ammo.
300 grs A-Frame loaded with 69,5 Norma 203-B
300 grs Trophy Bonded Bear Claw same load as above
300 grs Peregrine VRG 2 (Solid) loaded with 73,0 grs Vhitavuori N-540

We have big trobles getting bullets from the US, because everything the manufacturer produces is going to the domestic marked,
Woodleigh bullets are available in Norway, and this is also fantastic bullets.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg