.375 H&H ammo recommendations for Cape Buffalo hunt

Rhino make a matching pair of 340gr controlled expansion and meplat brass solid bullets in 375 caliber an awesome combination and the 340gr solid shoots through an elephant bull scull....very versatile combination unfortuantely not availible in the USA as far as I know
I need to check my records but I think we had it up around 2350 fps no pressure

Dear IvW.
The best of both worlds would be 340 Solid Shank and monos when choosing a mixed bag of bullets. I guess. No holding off no nothing when matters get sticky.
But the additional 40 grains. And the unwavering pin point accuracy is something to behold.

Hunter-Habib.

I never loaded 340s. 300 Solid Shank recorded a tad over 2500 and the 100m accuracy is very good as well. -1 MOA. But I must admit, for me, not ten shots in succession..................
I cleaned the 300gr bullets, recovered from a dry sifted sand backstop carefully with an old tooth brush. When dry. The one recorder 297 and the other 298 grains. I weighed it in witness. And if I dig will I still have this bullet.
On Kobus' website are the images of recovered bullets clearly with separate petals. Although did the bullets from the sand backstop, 300 and 380s, transform to a perfect button mushroom-type rivet-head.

IvW's comment of 2350 fps for 340 grainers is surely as close as one could get it.

(With my heart will I use 380s. But with my head. in a mixed bag of bullets. 340s. There are not many other answers when opting for Rhino.
Also will the 350 grain pair from Oz be an excellent match as well.)

If there's a way to do it better.... find it. Thomas A Edison.

Guys with a lot of experience with Cape buffalo, like Kevin Robertson and my own PH, Stanley Pieterse, favor heavy-for-caliber expanding bullets. I did a lot of research on bullet choice before this last trip. I talked to experts, friends (one has taken 7 buffalo), and got some good advice from this forum. My own experience, on 2 buffalo, is that using the 350 gr Woodleigh Weldcore HD soft point bullet, both animals reacted visibly to the shot and went down quickly. Autopsy showed optimal expansion, penetration and weight retention.

Reactions: IvW
Stick with one type. In January I hunted buffalo with a 375 Ruger using Peregrine VRG3 Bushmaster bullets. It worked great. Then when my 30-06 gave me issues I just kept using that 375 Ruger load for blesbok, black wildeebeest, steenbok and impala. It worked great again. Keep it simple, don't change loads and worry about changing scope settings.
How did the VRG3 perform. I assume you didn't recover the bullets but was there any sign that they opened on the smaller antelope. I guess it doesn't matter as the 375 is probably like an opened up 270 bullet.

How did the VRG3 perform. I assume you didn't recover the bullets but was there any sign that they opened on the smaller antelope. I guess it doesn't matter as the 375 is probably like an opened up 270 bullet.
I couldn't say, all pass throughs and with the exception of the black wildebeest, down on the spot. The black wildebeest ran for 200 yards, but the internal trauma was substantial, tough animal.

In Sept I’ll be using 300 grain Swift A-Frames that I hand loaded. They shoot identically to the Federal Premium factory rounds. I’m glad I loaded up (hoarded?) a bunch of Reloader 19 and 375 cases before the apocalypse. I’d have no problem shooting the Federal rounds but they are impossible to find. I also have 3 boxes of the Federal 300 grain Woodley Hydro. They are also accurate and shoot to the same point of impact as the Swifts (factory or my hand loads). I’ll load a soft on top and solids after. I’m also bringing my 458 Lott as primary for Buffalo, but if I have the 375 in my hands and we cross paths with a monster I won’t hesitate taking him with the 375.

In Sept I’ll be using 300 grain Swift A-Frames that I hand loaded. They shoot identically to the Federal Premium factory rounds. I’m glad I loaded up (hoarded?) a bunch of Reloader 19 and 375 cases before the apocalypse. I’d have no problem shooting the Federal rounds but they are impossible to find. I also have 3 boxes of the Federal 300 grain Woodley Hydro. They are also accurate and shoot to the same point of impact as the Swifts (factory or my hand loads). I’ll load a soft on top and solids after. I’m also bringing my 458 Lott as primary for Buffalo, but if I have the 375 in my hands and we cross paths with a monster I won’t hesitate taking him with the 375.
B uff 4.jpg
Buff 1.jpg
Buff 3.jpg
Buff 2.jpg

Back when I first got bitten by the African bug , I thought so much like you . First Cape Buffalo , I took with a .458 Winchester Magnum . Naturally , being a beginner in the game , I thought that Cape Buffalo need the biggest rifle you can get your hands on ( which was a .458 Winchester Magnum at the time ) .

But from the next Safari onwards , the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum became my go to Cape Buffalo caliber. A very flat shooting Magnum jewel .

Have fun on your Safari . It's going to get addictive . Barring the elephant and hippo , the Cape Buffalo is my favorite African dangerous game .

View attachment 411904View attachment 411905View attachment 411906View attachment 411907

Back when I first got bitten by the African bug , I thought so much like you . First Cape Buffalo , I took with a .458 Winchester Magnum . Naturally , being a beginner in the game , I thought that Cape Buffalo need the biggest rifle you can get your hands on ( which was a .458 Winchester Magnum at the time ) .

But from the next Safari onwards , the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum became my go to Cape Buffalo caliber. A very flat shooting Magnum jewel .

Have fun on your Safari . It's going to get addictive . Barring the elephant and hippo , the Cape Buffalo is my favorite African dangerous game .
I totally agree on the 375. It‘s my favorite caliber. I took my only (first of several I hope) Buffalo in Zambia in 2014 with a 416. I bought the Lott mostly because I wanted one...not because I think I need it. Now I’m planning to use it on Buffalo to justify the purchase. :) Anyway if shooting the Lott can be described as “fun” I do admit I have fun shooting it.

I totally agree on the 375. It‘s my favorite caliber. I took my only (first of several I hope) Buffalo in Zambia in 2014 with a 416. I bought the Lott mostly because I wanted one...not because I think I need it. Now I’m planning to use it on Buffalo to justify the purchase. :) Anyway if shooting the Lott can be described as “fun” I do admit I have fun shooting it.
I can totally relate . I hope to down one with a .505 Gibbs next time . Even though I could probably just do it with the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum , the .505 Gibbs will definitely be more fun .

I couldn't say, all pass throughs and with the exception of the black wildebeest, down on the spot. The black wildebeest ran for 200 yards, but the internal trauma was substantial, tough animal.
That is what I thought too much penetrative for smaller animals. I am using peregrines - soft and solid in my 458 lott and am wondering about using them in my 3006.

That is what I thought too much penetrative for smaller animals. I am using peregrines - soft and solid in my 458 lott and am wondering about using them in my 3006.
Too much penetration? Yes they were pass throughs but obviously the bullets energy was expended in the animal. So I'd say it was ample penetration. Honestly not sure any bullet out of a 375 wouldn't pass through average sized animals.
I use Barnes TTSX in my 30-06. and they often pass through, but they expend 90+% of its energy within the body cavity so it's not like that bullet is going far afterwords. The Peregrine is very similar to the TTSX but has the advantage of rounded edges when it expands, which seems to keep the bullet from passing through as often. In any case, always assume a pass through and know what's behind the target.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisa56S81

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.