375 H&H/9.3x62 Buffalo and Plains Game Combo

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm thinking of pairing my two Sako Rifles in 375 and 9.3x62 for my upcoming Buffalo/Lioness/PG hunt.
I'm thinking of loading Barnes TSX or Swift 300 grain bullets in the 375 for buffalo and Eland, and using the 9.3x62 with 250 gr TSX for the rest. I know these two calibers are very similar, but I want to get some use from both rifles, and since they're both Sako 85 rifles, the safety, trigger and stock fit are the same. They also have interchangeable scope rings, so that works if there's a problem with either rifle or scope.
I'm also considering paring the 9.3x62 with a 416 of some sort, but I'd like to shoot a buffalo with my Sako 375, since it did so well for me in Australia on Water Buffalo.
Am I crazy for taking two such similar calibers?

Yes.

But do what you like. To me, a 416 pairs better with a 9.3, while the 375 is a “one gun” solution. The 416, if shot well, will be a little better for buff. Any of those chamberings will get the job done, especially with Barnes bullets.

Sakos are great rifles.

Since there’s a weight limit on how much ammo you can carry on the plane I for one would not bother bringing two rifles that similar. .40 cal. of some flavour and 9.3 make a lot of sense as otherwise you’re pretty much bringing a backup rifle. Just my $0.02 worth.

I know the pairing of the 416 and 375 would be better in the sense that with either rifle, you're legal for Buffalo if the opportunity should arrise. That's what I did last year, and it worked out well. I'm just trying to get use from different rifles. Maybe I'll take my Sako 375 and Ruger Alaskan 416 instead...

Well.. they ARE very close. But hey, it's your party.

Both will push 250-300 gr bullets with good effect. The 375 just a little more so. Going 416, you'll have 400 - 450 grains flying downrange.

Personally I see the 9.3 as a short to medium range cartridge, whereas the 375 should have a little more reach.

I would probably go for a 30 cal for PG and something big for DG. But I guess it depends quite heavily on what type of country you'll be hunting.

Well.. they ARE very close. But hey, it's your party.

Both will push 250-300 gr bullets with good effect. The 375 just a little more so. Going 416, you'll have 400 - 450 grains flying downrange.

Personally I see the 9.3 as a short to medium range cartridge, whereas the 375 should have a little more reach.

I would probably go for a 30 cal for PG and something big for DG. But I guess it depends quite heavily on what type of country you'll be hunting.
I figure the 9.3 with 250 grain pills will shoot about the same trajectory as a 308 Win. That should be plenty flat enough for the 50-300 yard shots I might encounter. I'm also shooting mostly large plains game like Eland, Gemsbok, Waterbuck, ect. The 9.3 should work equally well on Lioness.
The 375 with good 300-350 grain bullets should work well on buffalo and Eland.
But, yes, a 416 would probably be better!

I say bring your .416 and .375. Then donate your 9.3 to me. All problems are solved. :)

Show me one other forum where you can find friends like that!

I like your thinking Toby; same guns, fit, actions, safety, interchangeable scopes.

If Sako would make a stainless steel M85 in 416 Rem Mag or 416 Ruger that's set up like my Kodiak 375, I wouldn't have this issue! But all they make is a 416 Rigby with a very large action. And to me, the huge Rigby case is just not needed to produce 2350fps with a 400gr bullet.

o_O Tough problem to have!

why not take the 375 and 2 scopes?
2 loads, say 250 and 300 gn.
zero the 300 dead on at 100, and the 250 will shoot higher for lighter game at longer distances with the same sight setting.
bruce.

Take the 9.3 and one of your 416s, and give me the other 416. Problem solved.

why not take the 375 and 2 scopes?
2 loads, say 250 and 300 gn.
zero the 300 dead on at 100, and the 250 will shoot higher for lighter game at longer distances with the same sight setting.
bruce.
I basically just want to take two rifles. I have them, so I feel I should use them for hunting. Otherwise they just collect dust in the safe. If I take the 9.3 and 375, I'd basically have two rifles that back each other up. They're both light, handy rifles, that shoot very well, and would compliment each other very well. Although I took a Kimber 375 and Winchester 416RM last year with great results. So, whatever I decide, I'll be golden.

I'm thinking of pairing my two Sako Rifles in 375 and 9.3x62 for my upcoming Buffalo/Lioness/PG hunt.
I'm thinking of loading Barnes TSX or Swift 300 grain bullets in the 375 for buffalo and Eland, and using the 9.3x62 with 250 gr TSX for the rest. I know these two calibers are very similar, but I want to get some use from both rifles, and since they're both Sako 85 rifles, the safety, trigger and stock fit are the same. They also have interchangeable scope rings, so that works if there's a problem with either rifle or scope.
I'm also considering paring the 9.3x62 with a 416 of some sort, but I'd like to shoot a buffalo with my Sako 375, since it did so well for me in Australia on Water Buffalo.
Am I crazy for taking two such similar calibers?
You asked... yeah you are crazy.

I think you are just really wanting to take two rifles. Because if that is not the case, the .375 HH will easily handle being a 1 gun show!

I think it's a good idea to have the same model rifle for two different purposes as you originally suggested. The fact that the caliber is so similar is of less importance in my mind than having one loaded for one purpose & the other for your secondary objective. Sounds like your problem was deciding which caliber to buy! At least this way you won't have to compromise one bullet for another, or point of impact for secondary load.

If you've got the double case & room for enough ammo for each, I say take the two rifles you want to shoot most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineGr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg