.375 H&H, .416 Rem Mag, .458 Lott or .470 NE?

All of life is a compromise. I have learned that trying to cover all the bases results in none being properly covered. If I am hunting Cape Bufallo with my .470NE and I see a wonderful Kudu on a far ridge, I will count myself blessed for the encounter and count the Kudu blessed that I am not hunting Kudu with my .300 Why. I don't have to kill every trophy I see to have been blessed by the experience of hunting these animals. There are many 18 and 20 point moose still walking the woods and bogs of northern Newfoundland that were not shot just because of this belief. Some of my most memorable hunts, calling bulls in to distances of 4 yards, seeing two caribou fight for half an hour, watching my kids and grandkids are kids take their first deer, moose it pheasant did not involve any killing on my part. The trip is the destination. The exoerexper is the sum. The kill is anti climatic. Enjoy every moment because your days are numbered .

Last edited:
I have to put my $.02 worth in. I cannot afford all the fine guns (oh I’m envious!), so I settled on one...375 H&H. It has worked well for me from duiker to Cape buffalo. Plenty accurate for a 90 yard shot on croc as well. I am quite comfortable with it. It will go with me this year for lion. So much for my crying about only one gun:cry:!
To the point, one appropriate bullet from an adequate cartridge will handle anything, but having caliber options is grand!
Enjoy your new toys! I’m just jealous!

Hi. I'm new to this forum and have only been to Africa twice, but, being a mathematician and engineer, I tend to study and accumulate as much data as possible. The information on the threads here and on other sites has been extremely helpful. This information, coupled with almost 60 years of hunting elk, moose, deer and caribou throughout the US and Canada has led me to make two important decisions which will come to fruition next year. I have been blessed to have a great friend in Newfoundland who owns/operates the 4+ Star rated Tuckamore Lodge in Main Brook, Newfoundland, Canada. I have hunted there almost annually since 1986 with friends, my children and most recently my grandson, for moose, woodland Caribou and bear. I have taken over 20 moose, several really nice caribou and a few bears. 46 years ago, I purchased a .300 Weatherby Mag for an elk hunt in Wyoming While that firearm was an excellent rifle for that and subsequent elk and moose hunts, I became intrigued with Blaser Rifles. Since I had untold .300 WBY ammo laying around, I purchased a Professional R8 with a synthetic stock in ,300Wby topped with a Zeiss IC scope and a second barrel in .22-250 topped with the Zeiss scope that came with the Professional Package. The first trip to SA saw a nice Kudu and a Gemsbuck fall to the .300 and a Springbuck, Blesbuck and Impala fall to the .22-250. Last year I shot a Springbuck Grand Slam which in the East Cape is a regular, Kalahari, Black, White and Copper Springbuck. I used a Browning Model 78 with an octagonal barrel in 25.06 since I love that rifle buy had not used it much in the last 30+- years. I put a new Leupold VX5HD scope on the rifle with a CDS dial and obtained wonderful results. This year I will take a Waterbuck, a Blue Wildebeest and a Nyaka, once again using my Blaser in .300 Wby. 2020 will be the year of my Cape Buffalo and I am have purchased a Blaser Big Bore stock with a Safari barrel channel, a steel receiver (adds 1.25#) and a 1 lb. Kickstop recoil reducer in the butt stock. The Kickstop not only reduces recoil but adds weight to balance the safari barrel. It will be topped with a Leupold VX5HD 1-4 x 24 firedot scope with a CDS dial for longer shots. I can actually purchase the parts on line cheaper than the whole rifle and can use the bolt housing and magazine insert from my .300 Wby and possibly the bold head as well, saving money. NOW, THE $64,000 QUESTION!!! What caliber barrel?????

I actually have one of each of the calibers you mention. Frankly, I find the 375 H&H to be a fine all purpose caliber. I’ve taken a Springbuck, the smallest trophy, White Blesbock, Golden Wildebeest and a hippo with it in a single shot rifle no less. My 458 Lott was used as a backup rifle on an elephant hunt. My 416 was actually used to take an elephant among other things and the 470 NE express has yet to see action but suspect it will down a buff, elephant and hippo in the future. For me it’s been about choices and the combined learnings as I have journeyed to Africa now several times. If I had it to do all over again I would have purchased the 375 and 470 to begin with.

I am also a riflehokic----shotgun and pistol/revolver too. Best mental defect I ever had!!!!

Don’t even get me started on the handguns...
IMG_1809.JPG

I thank all of you for your opinions, especially Jakub. I think that I may, for now, get a standard profile .375 H&H barrel for my Blaser Professional and a Selous Safari weight .416 Remington barrel for my Blaser Big Bore stock. Stick a just purchased Leupold VX5HD 1-5x24 on the .416 and a larger Leupold on the .375. That would give me a choice of .22, .22 mag, .223, .556, .22-250, .25-06, 7x64, .308, .300 Why, .375 H&H, .416. Rem Mag. and .470 NE, in many cases more than one choice per caliber. On closer examination, I can see that I am missing a .243 or 6mm and I always liked the sound of a .458 Lott, lots of history and romance there! My name is Ed and I am also a riflehokic----shotgun and pistol/revolver too. Best mental defect I ever had!!!!
Hmmmm. I own three .270's (finest deer round ever created) and two 7x57's (ok one is technically a .275). I don't see even one of either on your list! And how can you abide a .308 without a 30-06?

My first rifle was a Winchester Model 88, an interesting lever action with a rotating bolt in .308. Several, deer moose and a black bear later a I purchased a .300 Why. No room for a .30-06 but I did buy a nice Browning Stainless Stalker in .30-06 for my 105# daughter. Cut the stock to fit and added a muzzle brake. She can shoot it all day long .

Last edited:
PS. My 7x64 Steyr Mannlicher Professional with synthetic stock, factory set trigger and original Zeiss scope is listed. Quality not quantity in ALL things. Especially women.

Decisions, Decisions. The comments on a .375 are pushing me that way, Then I think about what some have said about the .416. I'll need to sleep on it. Here are a few photos of my .470NE: Hope they post well.

Thanks for buying that 470! I had is on my list but really don't need it.
Please let us all know how it shoots!

Once one is infected they are infected for life. The only known cure appears to be one more rifle and one more Safari!!

Soooooo very true! I am so infected and have been. Planning safari number 7 even now.

I was a bit nervous about purchasing such an expensive firearm online. I was relieved to read on the DOUBLE RIFLE forum that the seller is held in such high regard. I know little about Krieghoff double rifles except what I have read, which is significant, however, except for shotguns, I have never seen or held a DR. I know that I like the cocking safety as it is identical in function to that on my Blasers. I also know that a .470 is more than adequate for anything I could ever hunt. Beyond that, any additional information or opinion is more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Beautiful wood on the .470. Almost too purdy to take out into the bush.

You have a beautiful double by a first class gunmaker. You have justified its use. I simply urge you to take the time and expense to become totally and completely competent with it before using it on dangerous game. As a client, we have one overriding responsibility - put that first bullet EXACTLY where it needs to go. Do that and no one gets hurt - screw it up - hurt a tracker or PH - and we as clients have something with which to struggle the rest of our lives. I have killed buff with a double - a scoped S2 Blaser. The others were killed with a scoped R8 or ‘98 custom. They shoot MOA as far as I am comfortable. I was a professional soldier with scads of open sight experience over three decades. I have used double shotguns for at least that long. I will likely take a tradional English .470 for the first time on my next hunt. I simply urge you be very, very competent with that rifle if you decide to use it on a first buffalo or elephant.

Looks like you did extremely well on that 470. It is a beautiful rifle with lots of upgrades and it sounds like you got it for a great price. Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.

For your “in between” rifle question; I like 416 Rigby (Rem mag is good too if preferred) or 375 H&H. Best of luck!

Red Leg, Thank you for your sage advise.

When I examined the first squirrel I shot with my friends .22 hollow point over 6 decades ago, my first thought was "GOD, don't let me shoot anything I don't want to kill." My second was "GOD, don't let me ever get shot." I have many "favorite guns" but my favorite of all is my Blaser R-8. I find the safety/cocking mechanism to be instinctive and provides the highest degree of safety of any firearm I am aware of. I am an engineer and after study, I chose a Krieghoff because of its fine construction and the fact that its safety/cocking mechanism functions in the same manner as that of my Blaser. I cannot imagine a brush with a branch or other object pushing either of these firearms off safe, however it is always the "unloaded" or "safe" firearm that kills, therefore I strive to always be aware of the attitude of my muzzle. Regarding competence, I have purchased 80 rounds of Nosler Safari ammo, spare brass, and I am about to order a few boxes of Barnes Solid and TSX bullets, dies and powder. All of this is expensive, however, it is cheap by comparison to the cost of my last two or next two safaris. On the last two, my total of 13 animals was harvested with 14 shots. As stated in many of these forums, bullet placement is of paramount importance and the only wan it achieve proper bullet placement is to be extremely familiar and therefore competent with ones firearm of choice. This I pledge to become.

Vett447, good advice as well, but how to decide? .375 or .416?? .416 or .375?? I searched many forums on AH and came up with the most reasonable answer. A standard weight .375 H&H barrel for my R8 Professional and a Selous Safari weight .416 Remington Mag barrel for my newly purchased Blaser R8 Big Bore Stock with steel receiver and a Kickstop in the butt stock. I just won a Leupold 1-5X24 VX5HD Firedot scope on Gunbroker and had an extra Blaser mount but it had 1" rings. I found a set of new 30mm low rings on line at a discount from optics-trade.eu so I am all set for my "in between" Rifles. Thanks for the GREAT advice. Blessings. ED

When ordering Blaser barrels you have a choice of standard or hiviz sights. In my opinion standard ones are crap and the hiviz excellent. I started with standard ones and upgraded afterwards, any new barrel I’ll buy will come with the hiviz ones from the start.

Thanks Opposite Pole, I was unaware of that opinion. Till surely order HIVIZ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!