Therack

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA PF DU NWTF
I'm looking at buying one gun for some bigger African animals. Is the .375 enough for hippo, buffalo, croc and leopard? My buddy tells me I should be looking at a .416 for the additional knockdown power.

A 375HH should do the trick for you, then hedge your bet with a 404Jeff

which 375?

most .375" cartridges are suitable for all the game you've mentioned although personally I prefer .416" cartridges.

-matt

I have the 416 myself but a 375 will take down what you mentioned. Shot placement being the critical factor!

375 H&H has been doing it for 105 years, it's only gotten better.
416 is a relative new-comer (It was all but dead then resurrected via Hoffman and Taylor and finally the Rigby was released to the public).

375 is like an '06 to USA - the 416 is more like the 338 here. Will an '06 take any animal, yes, will the 338 punch it harder, yes do you "need" a 338, no but there are times when more bullet weight, and a slightly faster bullet and more powder are preferable.

I've been contemplating a 416 (Hoffman or Ruger) ALOT, but I have a 375 and my job is to place the shot precisely where it need to go; stopping charges etc is the PHs job - my job is to do all I can so he doesn't have to do his job!

Hi.
We used a 375 h&h on a problem hippo a while back. The hunt was on land and he took a sholder shot, the 270gr barns solid broke both sholders whent through the hart and excited on the opposed side. I was amazed at the straight line Penetration of the 375 h&h. I am positive that you would get the same performance on any big game.

stopping charges etc is the PHs job - my job is to do all I can so he doesn't have to do his job!

i hate when people say this! sorry for going off topic, but its rant time: :S Rant:

IT IS YOUR JOB TO STOP A CHARGE
as you are the hunter and this is your hunt. a PH is there to advise you on shot placement/timing, help you pick a proper animal, and IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO DO YOUR JOB he can stop a charge at the last minute for you. any PH worth his pay will give you the proper chance to stop a charge (if possible) on your own before he steps in and stops it for you. a hunter should NEVER rely on others to protect him as self defense is and always will be his job.

ranting aside, the 375 H&H (or other similar 375 cartridges) is actually plenty capable of stopping a charge. a proper bullet (solid) in the right place (the brain) from just about any caliber will stop a charge (Bell proved this). while larger calibers might do a better job of turning a charge with body shots the 375 will and has worked for plenty of people.

-matt

Matt, stop it before it starts by placing the proper bullet in the proper place.
A well known Alaska bear guide said use what ever is in your hands, so if a bear charges and you're carrying a 243, then congratulations, a 243 just became you stopping rifle!

Hi.
We used a 375 h&h on a problem hippo a while back. The hunt was on land and he took a sholder shot, the 270gr barns solid broke both sholders whent through the hart and excited on the opposed side. I was amazed at the straight line Penetration of the 375 h&h. I am positive that you would get the same performance on any big game.
Barnes bullets hard to beat.

Over the years I shot several elephant, buffalo, lion and hippo with the 375 H&H, all with no problems. IMHO its the best all around caliber for hunting Africa. As CAustin said, bullet placement is everything so shoot a lot and be familiar with your gun. I've owned many other heavy guns through the years but still prefer the 375. I believe it is the most reasonable heavy gun to handle in terms of recoil so you won't be hesitant to take it to the range and shoot a couple of boxes. Confidence in your rifle is a must so you can't be intimidated by recoil which can be an issue with other large caliber magnums.

i hate when people say this! sorry for going off topic, but its rant time: :S Rant:

IT IS YOUR JOB TO STOP A CHARGE
as you are the hunter and this is your hunt. a PH is there to advise you on shot placement/timing, help you pick a proper animal, and IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO DO YOUR JOB he can stop a charge at the last minute for you. any PH worth his pay will give you the proper chance to stop a charge (if possible) on your own before he steps in and stops it for you. a hunter should NEVER rely on others to protect him as self defense is and always will be his job.

ranting aside, the 375 H&H (or other similar 375 cartridges) is actually plenty capable of stopping a charge. a proper bullet (solid) in the right place (the brain) from just about any caliber will stop a charge (Bell proved this). while larger calibers might do a better job of turning a charge with body shots the 375 will and has worked for plenty of people.

-matt

I hate it when people say it is the client's job to stop a charge :) It sends people to Africa with weapons (big doubles come to mind) and sights with which they are all too often unfamiliar, and at worst, afraid. A client's primary responsibility is indeed to put an adequate first bullet as precisely as possible into the animal. If he does that, the rest is irrelevant. It doesn't mean he shouldn't be willing and able to help sort out any mess he makes, but it is that opening shot of the engagement that is most critical to what follows. The .375 has proven itself for more than 5 generations as a DG cartridge to which the experienced shooter of "deer rifles" can easily adapt. Today, it will be set up just like that rifle - with a scope and familiar controls. Equip it with detachable mounts, and when push comes to shove, you will hardly be unarmed if something large and angry starts your way.

And look, I own a .404 and 500/416 - they are great calibers mounted on two great rifles. But for someone contemplating their first DG rifle, J A Hunter's advice still rings true. Get a .375. I would add, get it in a configuration with which you are familiar (read scoped and a bolt action) and buy the best 300 gr ammunition which it shoots well.

Thank you for all the good information!! I do all my hunting with 3 calibers of Browning A-Bolts. The largest A-Bolt caliber made is a .375, the gun I wanted from the start. The reason is muscle memory, all my rifles are the same, so in the heat of the moment I'm not trying to find the safety on an unfamiliar rifle. It will be the same as coyotes with the .204 or Plains game with the '06 or elk with the .300. Thanks again guys!!

Careful Rack, you're going down a dangerous path!!!
My rifles (all of them) are SAKO, I want to build a 416 so I got another SAKO for the action for the build. This can get real expensive real fast!! Now substitute Browning for SAKO and you're hooked!!!
Same reasons you mentioned, fit/trigger/safety.

Careful Rack, you're going down a dangerous path!!!
My rifles (all of them) are SAKO, I want to build a 416 so I got another SAKO for the action for the build. This can get real expensive real fast!! Now substitute Browning for SAKO and you're hooked!!!
Same reasons you mentioned, fit/trigger/safety.

Sako is my second choice in all of this "shopping"

If your others are Browning and you're happy, why switch?

FWIW: I was looking for a Browning - the old BBR - in a 300 Win Mag. The shop guy had a used SAKO 7 Mag for a great price.

I just sold a beautiful A-bolt .375, had it for 8 years and never got around to firing it! Sold it to a friends son for 800 and he loves it. He plans on a buff hunt with it and I hope he does, much better than it sitting in my safe doing nothing!
Good luck,
Cody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!