375 bullets for north America

Papabear55

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Anyone here have any experience with 270gr speer spbt or hornady interlocks on elk and moose size game? Looking to stock back up on projectiles and those are about the only ones I'm seeing available for decent prices

JD Jones used them extensively in African plains game. I'd lean more towards the 260 Accubond but I bought 2 boxes of Interlocks to play and test with.

A friend of mine shoots both in his 375 H&H- he prefers the Hornady Interlock. He's killed two spike elk that I'm aware of and both times the bullets went clear through (broadside lung shots, minimal bone). Neither elk was much of a bullet test- but both elk dropped in their tracks.

It'll work in NA (thin-skinned game!) Tougher Swift, etc. recommended in Africa (and Barnes solids!) I would recommend same on Kodiak Brown bear!

Took a moose, about 900 pounds with a hornady interlock at about 225 yards. The bullet hit just below the spine, in the ribcage just in front of the 4th rib from the back. we never found the animal until four hours later. Thankfully there was fresh snow but very little spoor, lots of tracks from a group of four bulls but very little blood. When I finally found him he had just expired but he was followed by a pack of coyotes and they had already taken most of the hair off its soft underbelly. When we butchered the moose it was obvious that the bullet had fragmented as there were small fragment punctures in the liver and kidneys and later some fragments were found in some of the meat later. I estimate that the muzzle speed was 2550 fps and around 2000-2100 at point of impact. I was very disappointed in the interlocks performance.

I tend to stick with one bullet per gun, so I shoot 300g A-Frames in my 375 Weatherby. I've had good luck with the 250g A-Frames as well. Lighter recoil still work great.

Took a moose, about 900 pounds with a hornady interlock at about 225 yards. The bullet hit just below the spine, in the ribcage just in front of the 4th rib from the back. we never found the animal until four hours later. Thankfully there was fresh snow but very little spoor, lots of tracks from a group of four bulls but very little blood. When I finally found him he had just expired but he was followed by a pack of coyotes and they had already taken most of the hair off its soft underbelly. When we butchered the moose it was obvious that the bullet had fragmented as there were small fragment punctures in the liver and kidneys and later some fragments were found in some of the meat later. I estimate that the muzzle speed was 2550 fps and around 2000-2100 at point of impact. I was very disappointed in the interlocks performance.
Just curious what organ(s) were hit with the bullet? What organ(s) precisely did the bullet traverse through? (What were you aiming for?) 'Just wasn't clear. I've had some others blow into a million pieces on deer, boar, etc. over the years, too. Followed one deer (and the wide but faint red splatter paint path) for 500 yds. Deer upon recovery looked as if it were hit with birdshot. Orig. Nos BTs and Berger VLDs (which they've since improved.)

Back in the ‘80’s I took an elk with the 270gr Hornady Spire Point. ~135 yds. Took out right shoulder, tore up lungs and made exit. That is the only animal I ever used that bullet on. Since then I gone to 300gr Swift AF and Barnes TSX.

Until I went to Africa all I had ever shot in my .375 were 270 gr A-Frames. They are fantastic bear medicine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross