375 Barnes solids

ZooKpr

Reaction score
I have been away from the Africa fever for a bit.

This summer my wife and I are going to see if we can put a buff on the wall.

In the past I used Barnes 350 grain solids in my Rum. I see that they don’t list them anymore but they list the other DG calibers.

Does anyone know where I can find them or is there a 350 grain from another company that would be a good replacement.

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
Woodleigh makes a 350gr .375" solid.

-matt

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Woodleigh makes a 350gr .375" solid.

-matt
I checked out Woodleigh and it looks like they make a .375 / 350 grain FMJ but I didn't think this was a true solid.
All the solids I've seen for 375 caliber are 300 grain like the Woodleigh Hydro.

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Woodleigh's FMJ is a direct descendant of Kynoch's FMJ which was the original solid used by the great white hunters during the golden age of elephant hunting. more elephants have been brought down with steel jacketed FMJ bullets then every other type of bullet combined.

now in modern times there is no reason to use a solid on a cape buffalo... but the poster didnt ask if it was a good idea. ;)

-matt

ZooKpr

Reaction score
I always take a few solids in the chance of shooting something really small or really big . Don’t plan to use them on the buff. Just didn’t want to make a book out of short question.

I think I will try the woodleigh hydro. They cost a bunch but shouldn’t take to many to make up a load.

Can anyone tell me why Barnes doesn’t offer the 375 anymore. I see they still have the 9.3 and 416?

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
I always take a few solids in the chance of shooting something really small or really big . Don’t plan to use them on the buff. Just didn’t want to make a book out of short question.

I think I will try the woodleigh hydro. They cost a bunch but shouldn’t take to many to make up a load.

Can anyone tell me why Barnes doesn’t offer the 375 anymore. I see they still have the 9.3 and 416?
The infinite wisdom of the bureau of ATF is the reason...

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted

1. if real small things are on the menu, the Woodleigh FMJ would be an ideal choice. the round nose profile would prevent large holes in the skin.

2. as stated above, the ATF decided that certain diameter Barnes solids would be used to kill armored police officers. :E Crazy:

-matt

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Woodleigh's FMJ is a direct descendant of Kynoch's FMJ which was the original solid used by the great white hunters during the golden age of elephant hunting. more elephants have been brought down with steel jacketed FMJ bullets then every other type of bullet combined.

now in modern times there is no reason to use a solid on a cape buffalo... but the poster didnt ask if it was a good idea. ;)

-matt
Appreciate the info, I didn't know that about the Woodliegh FMJ and Kynoch.
But I did know about the Barnes 375 and the ATF - just stupid.

DHH45

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA , SCI
Hunted
Namibia , mozambique
I have been away from the Africa fever for a bit.

This summer my wife and I are going to see if we can put a buff on the wall.

In the past I used Barnes 350 grain solids in my Rum. I see that they don’t list them anymore but they list the other DG calibers.

Does anyone know where I can find them or is there a 350 grain from another company that would be a good replacement.
ZooKpr:
I have these I would sell you $40 x $160.00 for the lot of them
20190526_113107.jpeg

neckdeep

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI DSC DU Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, USA, Argentina
Northfork makes a 350 flat nose solid

Last edited:

Timbo

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BGRC PFRC & SSAA
Hunted
Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa
As an illustration of their effectiveness, Woodleigh hydros are used by Government Veterinarians to euthanize beached whales. There's a scientific report on the terminal ballistics tests on the net.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Can't comment about the .375 Barnes solids, but they still make .416 Rigby ammo with 400 grain solids. Shot most of a box yesterday on steel plates.

Latest profile posts

pamtnman wrote on Timothy Doyle's profile.
Interested in the 450/400 dies. I have PayPal. Thank you
ve7poi wrote on ZANA BOTES SAFARI's profile.
See you in May 2022
twenty days with you time seems to have slowed now after booking lol
tarbe wrote on Royal27's profile.
Current ETA to Buc-ees is 11 am or we can meet you there about 2 hrs later in the way back.
On the ocean or in the bush .