.375 Barnes Banded Solids

Travis2282

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I thought Barnes had to stop selling these a few years ago? Or was that just the flat tip? I see the RN solids listed on the website now?

I know they had to stop selling them because they were (wrongly) classified as "armor piercing". I took a look at the picture they have of them, not sure if they are round nose or flat seeing as the picture depicts both.
1656451453629.png

The new ones are round nose. Terrible decision on their part, according to most people in the know. I assume they did it so they would feed well in CZ rifles and others which are known to have trouble with flat nosed bullets. But maybe they've started making them both ways? The pictures you posted definitely show it that way.

I have about 200 of their .510 caliber 570g flat nose banded solids that shoot pretty close to the same point of aim as the 570g TSX's. I really don't plan to hunt elephant ever but have about 20 loaded in case I ever go buffalo hunting as the third round in the magazine. Don't think I'd need it, but nice insurance just the same.

The only flat nose ones currently being made … are the banded solids for the .470 Nitro Express, .500 Nitro Express, .577 Nitro Express and .600 Nitro Expres.

The others are all round nose, because they’re intended for calibers typically chambered in magazine rifles (some of which can’t feed flat nose bullets reliably, like the Zastava M70).

I have about 35 Barnes factory loaded .375 H&H round nose 300 grain solids if anyone is interested in buying?

I have some of the flat nosed versions which I use in my Ruger RSM 416 Rigby. They worked well for me on Elephants. I found that my rifle didn't feed the bottom round from the magazine consistently. The top two flat nosed would feed fine. I solved the problem by simply loading the round nosed version as the bottom round in the magazine.

The only flat nose ones currently being made … are the banded solids for the .470 Nitro Express, .500 Nitro Express, .577 Nitro Express and .600 Nitro Expres.

The others are all round nose, because they’re intended for calibers typically chambered in magazine rifles (some of which can’t feed flat nose bullets reliably, like the Zastava M70).

I have the .509 ones for the 500 NE. Both they and the .509 TSX's shoot great in my 500 Jeffery

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the issue with the round nose solid for an elephant? I see some of these are for sale and thought about picking up 100 for the .416 ruger.

How do they compare to say a DGS ?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the issue with the round nose solid for an elephant? I see some of these are for sale and thought about picking up 100 for the .416 ruger.

How do they compare to say a DGS ?
A flat meplat on a monolithic brass solid will result in better straight line penetration than a rounded nose of the same construction. For this reason the Nosler Solid, CEB Safari Solid and Woodleigh Hydro are preferred over the Hornady DGS which is a copper-clad, steel jacketed, lead-antimony core bullet. The Hornady DGS was made to replicate the performance of the old Kynoch ammo.

Although I killed my buffalo with a .416 Ruger using the 400gr TSX, I paid the insurance with a 400gr round nose banded solid. The buffalo was laying on its side. The bullet went thru the spine, exited the brisket and lodged in a leg.

I have both round and flat nose Barnes Banded Solids. They both shoot the same and I get the same velocities.

I loaded the flat nose solids for my hunt. They feed just fine from the magazine of my GM Mauser 98.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross