370 Sako Mag (9.3x66)

Yes there is nothing new under the sun.

I agree Sako has gone down hill. Since Beretta took over the walnut has gotten better but the overall designs have gone down hill, to a pont now they have totally lost the plot!

@Mulga
I understand your love of Sako rifles but in my opinion since they have gone to a 3 lug bolt they went down hill.
I completely understand to cool factor as my 25 is just COOL.

Advertising is responsible for killing good cartridges like the 260 and 358 and promoted others with so much bullshit that everyone believed it like the 243 and the 6.5 man bun. Take a 250 savage AI change the shoulder a angle a bit and neck it up a mill and a bit and you have a new wonder cartridge. Well whoopee shit the 6.5 Swede and the 260 have been doing the same for years.
Call me an old fuddy duddy but If'n it ain't broke don't fix it. Old is good just use newer powders available now they and it is even better than it ever was like the 7x57, 30/06 and the Whelen. Loaded properly they all give great service.
Bob
and the 9.3x64

Mulga, good to hear that your Sako ejects just fine!
And I like your Kimber Mountain Ascent 280AI! Actually I wanted it too, but because it is not standardize in Europe, I could not get it. I have though Kimber Montana in 308 W.
I always liked light rifle, I can shoot them well and recoil never bothers me. When people here grab my Kimber (w. scope and all 3 kg), they go wow, and they want to buy it, seiously. I will not sell it!
But now it is also a matter of age over 73, though I am not fat (went to gym most my life), but still tall 193 cm - 6ft 4" and 105kg, my back hurts walking in forest even without a gun after an hour!
I have a wish though, I can not find a 9.3x64 reloading dies for sale. If someone please, wants to sell them (even some shells), I woul be a willing buyer!!!
regards, p.

I have a wish though, I can not find a 9.3x64 reloading dies for sale. If someone please, wants to sell them (even some shells), I would be a willing buyer!!!

Hi Petrovic, if you cannot find commercially made dies a gunsmith can make them for you; they would need a 9.3x64 chamber reamer.

Best regards, D :)

Well, CH4D apparently makes them on asking, but may take 6-24 months now! I saw one guy selling a 9.3x64 Voere together with dies, so i wrote to him and still waiting for reply. I will be looking for more ads, I think eventually something will appear. Due to Covid situation, my rifle will take 5-6 weeks to come home. I can get 20 pc. RWS ready to start with, but cost is ab. 80+Euro or 100 bucks!
p.

Hi Mulga,
I got in an order for 9.3x64 dies! Set of 3: FL sizer (to make), Neck sizer (ready), Bullet seater (ready) and shell holder for 320 bucks incl. freight. And best: Only 2 month waiting - better then from in USA. So I am greatfull to you Mulga!
regards,
peter

I finally got to the range and put a few projectiles over the chronograph. Keep in mind AR2209 is a slowish powder for this cartridge but with the current powder shortage all I can get; so this cartridge has more potential than what I show here.

Rifle: Sako Grizzly
Barrell length: 20 inches
Projectile: Woodleigh PP 286gr
Propellant: ADI AR2209 69gr

Shots: 3
Min 2375 Max 2389
Avg 2384
S-D 7.8
ES 14

Series Shot Speed
6 1 2375 ft/s
6 2 2389 ft/s
6 3 2388 ft/s

I finally got to the range and put a few projectiles over the chronograph. Keep in mind AR2209 is a slowish powder for this cartridge but with the current powder shortage all I can get; so this cartridge has more potential than what I show here.

Rifle: Sako Grizzly
Barrell length: 20 inches
Projectile: Woodleigh PP 286gr
Propellant: ADI AR2209 69gr

Shots: 3
Min 2375 Max 2389
Avg 2384
S-D 7.8
ES 14

Series Shot Speed
6 1 2375 ft/s
6 2 2389 ft/s
6 3 2388 ft/s
Those are pretty good velocities Mulga - with Re15 I was only getting 2410fps with a 2inch longer barrel in the Sako Hunter. How was the accuracy? Haven't even shot my Black Bear yet.

Those are pretty good velocities Mulga - with Re15 I was only getting 2410fps with a 2inch longer barrel in the Sako Hunter. How was the accuracy? Haven't even shot my Black Bear yet.

I'm getting around MOA. The rifle is more able than me, I'm still not over the bruising and beating I get shooting it off the bench!

what we need is a powder in between ar2208/varget/re15 and h4350/ar2209.
there is obviously a niche for it here in oz.
re17 is a bit that way, but close to h4350/ar2209.
there might be someone who could comment on cfe223 and staball 6.5, neither of which can be had in oz right now.
any other with a burning rate in this area?
bruce.

what we need is a powder in between ar2208/varget/re15 and h4350/ar2209.
there is obviously a niche for it here in oz.
re17 is a bit that way, but close to h4350/ar2209.
there might be someone who could comment on cfe223 and staball 6.5, neither of which can be had in oz right now.
any other with a burning rate in this area?
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Yes CFE223 sits nicely between 2208/Varget &2209/4350.
When I found out we were no longer going to import it I got hold of 8 or 9 kilo of it stashed away.
Bob

I'm getting around MOA. The rifle is more able than me, I'm still not over the bruising and beating I get shooting it off the bench!
Ha Ha! No kidding right. The Black Bear is ridiculously light the Grizzly would be a better weight. I added 200grams of lead (there a big cavity in the stock) to bring it to 8lb 4oz scoped which is what my old Sako Hunter in the same calibre used to weigh. That's why I don't get the comments about the 9.3 being low on recoil? Its brutal!!! But still fun! Not sure that the hard Sako pad helps either. But the balance and handling of the Black Bear is outstanding. I may need to add more lead - we'll see aiming to fire it tomorrow.

Hello friends. I looked at your loadings, but I have data only for European powders I can contribute. For Vihtavuori (Finish powder) in 9,3x66 Sako, N550 seems to be the fastest. For Woodleigh RNSP 320grs max speed given is as much as 2405 fts/733 m with loading of 65.6grs/4.25g. The 300grs Swift A-Frame has max speed 2303 fts/702 m with 57.9grs/3.75g of N550! LR primers. Do you use magnum primers?
BTW my 9.3x64 Brenneke just arrived I am going to put a new stock on it and let it profesionally clean and bed. Barrel looks OK and trigger is very ligt, maybe too light! I found only powder VECTAN (French) data for it. Fastest is Tubal 7000. For 286grs Partition max speed given is 820m/2690 fts with 75.6grs (which is insane!) of TU 7000. Magnum primers. cheers

OK. I am waiting now for the 9.3x64 Brenneke dies from Australia. Btw, I looked up and the Sako Grizzly barrell is 21.4" long, while the Black Bear barrell is exactly 20".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg