370 Sako Mag (9.3x66)

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by fsrmg1, Oct 2, 2015.

1. fsrmg1

fsrmg1 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA, NRA, BGRC, MMA
    Hunted:
    AK, US, AU, DE, CZ
    My Beretta M689 9.3x74R o/u has the 61cm barrels with matching 20/76 ga barrels at 66cm. The rifle has a single trigger with a selector to always fire top barrel first. It has ejectors that are a must for o/u if you hope to reload quickly. Without them, it would be difficult to unload the lower barrel, or with the scope on.

For scope, I use EAW mounts with a compact Leopold 30mm VariX-R 2-7x with illuminated red dot. I am very happy with this setup. It is easy to remove the scope to use the barrel sights and when I put it back on, it is always zeroed in the same place.

It is a very balanced rifle with the Bavarian butt stock, and what I like about that stock is when I put the 20 ga barrels on, it still fits perfectly. That stock design also seems to work with the scope on or off as a rifle. I don't think you could do that with an American or English cut stock. I use a 14 3/4" length of pull, which seems to fit me very well.

Game wise, I would not hesitate to use it on anything up to buffalo sized animals with good premium rounds. I'm sure it will (and has) taken game cleanly all the way up to elephant, but for that I think that I would use something bigger.

Range wise, the 9.3x74R is a solid 200m round with the 286 gr RN load and 250m with one of the faster 232-250 gr loads. My rifle doesn't seem to be too picky with regulating different loads, but I have heard of other people who have had trouble. Only way to know is to just try and see.

2. Petrovič

Petrovič AH Member

Hunted:
    Namibia, South Afr. Rep., Canada, Slovakia
    Glad to hear u are happy with this setup. On the EGUN - german gun auction, is now Beretta Silver Sable II for Eur 2500 for sale (I doesn,t say if with ejector, but no shotgun bbl. - good price?) plus delivery and lots of paper work. But there is also Browning CCS 525 Elite new, right now only E826 (no ejector). At this price would be a steal, but sure will go up.
    Personally I do not like bavarian stocks, hit me in a cheek bone, prefer straight.
    But I like the Leupold VxR 2-7X!
    I am looking now at different auction for 9,3x62 and even x64 as well, used - they seem to be quite cheap, particularly ZKK 600. Easiest would be to buy inland, but here the market is thin, and import from abroad is a real headache.
    BTW I had a fun yesturday, shot a fox w. my 308W. Looking now for row deer or red stag!
    Lovu Zdar! and Happy hunting.

3. Petrovič

Petrovič AH Member

Hunted:
    Hello all,
    long time no see!
    Finally I baught a new 9.3x62 Haenel Jaeger 10, repeating rifle (Sako 9,3x66 is twice as expensive and on the web some complained ab. cartridge ejection issues). I got it in dec. and as it is snow here I shot only over the open sights. Short stroke lever, so I am satisfied with it and in the future I may redo it to x66, but it is not 98 model - small ejection window, can,t reload from top. Holds though 4 cartridges and 1 in chamber! I was thinking to load the new african Peregrine bullets. In March I will be hunting in S. Africa cheap lion and female buffalo, but will hire a .375" for now.
    Lovu Zdar!

4. fsrmg1

fsrmg1 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA, NRA, BGRC, MMA
    Hunted:
    AK, US, AU, DE, CZ
    Petrovic,

Are you planning to reload your own rounds? If so, you should be able to load the 9,3x62 fairly close to 9,3x66 performance if you use a good high energy powder like Reloader 17 or Viht N540 and load to the same pressure level. Reloader 17 works very well in my rifle.

This will get you close enough to the 375 level that you won't need to hire one. Just develop good loads, practice a lot and use your 9,3.

It would be much better to use a familiar rifle that you shoot well, than one you are not familiar with.

I also believe that RSA allows the 9,3x62 for DG.

5. Petrovič

Petrovič AH Member

Hunted:
    Yes, I baught Viht. N550, maybe the faster N540 would have been better. But it,s too late, as I said, it is snow/ice here, and I am leaving in 11 days. I want to get some Peregrine bullets from S. Africa and then have time to develop my softs/monolits/solids for the next time. The cost thru Lufthansa is also very steep: 2 X 250 Eur plus paperwork here and in Africa plus fees, it comes to ab. E750 - nearly cost of my new gun! Sad but true. I will get free rifle for buffalo and maybe E150 for lion, and no hassles. Or a New idea: I may buy a simillar rifle in Africa next time and keep it in the PH,s name for following times!!! Otherwise yes, PH would let me use 9,3 kaliber!

6. fsrmg1

fsrmg1 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA, NRA, BGRC, MMA
    Hunted:
    AK, US, AU, DE, CZ
    N550 and H4350 would work great as well, but I find that you start running out of room before you get to peak pressures, and I just can't be bothered using a drop tube or case vibrator to settle the powder to get the last few grains in. Might be something to consider though, especially if it is for a prime hunt. Are you able to get Barnes TSX projects there? If you can, the 9,3 cal 250 grainer is a good one.
    Lovu Zdar!

7. Petrovič

Petrovič AH Member

Hunted:
    I tried the 250gr and 286gr TSX, but after 3 weeks, they say, it is not in storage now, nor in other shops here. I am using 168grs TSX in my 308W, getting up to 890 m/s in summer heat, abot 860 m/s in winter confortably. I will try to get the 230gr VLR4 Peregrine 9.3 for plains game and 286gr VGR3&VGR2 for serious work. That,s if I have time to go to shops or if they deliver to my PH.

8. Midnightrider80

Midnightrider80 New Member

Just an FYI I added 3/4 # to my Savage 116 in .375 Ruger by mixing #8 shot with Silicone sealant. Put it where you need and it stays put. I filled the "waffle" frond and added about 5 oz just behind the grip area.