360 Nosler cartridge

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
just looking through saami cartridge and chamber specs, and saw one, new to me, the 36 nosler.
can't find any info anywhere about it, including nosler site.
bruce.

I checked the other day also, my understanding is that nosler hasn't decided when or if they are going to release it along with the others in their lineup. I also did some research you can get properly head stamped brass from "Quality cartridge" but I have had only one cup of coffee and may have that wrong but someone is doing them. and Pacific tool and gauge has the reamer in stock. PTG could also make a die reamer and it would be easy to open a 33nosler set of dies up to 36 nosler. I have 4-9.3x62's, giving thought to converting one or just building one from scratch????

Nosler got approval on most every caliber for XX Nosler, without plans of actually producing them. My local Sportsman's Warehouse has 27 Nosler dies on the shelf, doesn't exist in factory rifle form though.

Yea I talked to nosler help desk folks and they said I could review the approved cartridge drawings at the official SAMI site but didn't know when of if they would produce the brass and rifles. So one of those cart before the horse kinda deals

Seems like the range of 9.3 calibers should have the 36 Nosler covered.
Although I'm sure they will pull a "Roy Weatherby" and make it faster and flatter shooting.
But at the same cost as the Weatherby's...short barrel life, violent recoil and expensive ammo.

Googled .36 Nosler and good old AH came up with a discussion. Y’all never let me down. I am
Looking at having a rifle built by Ed Vandenberg and I’m trying to come up with a caliber. I do love the 9.3/.36s.

while this has my attention, I think the 9.3 Sisk would be amazing. May just be more of a pain in the ass than it’s worth though.

Googled .36 Nosler and good old AH came up with a discussion. Y’all never let me down. I am
Looking at having a rifle built by Ed Vandenberg and I’m trying to come up with a caliber. I do love the 9.3/.36s.

while this has my attention, I think the 9.3 Sisk would be amazing. May just be more of a pain in the ass than it’s worth though.
You never cease to amaze me with the variety of cartridges you have managed to acquire.

I’m thinking I like reloading more than shooting. Lol
Yeah, I'm the other way around.
I'll call you when I have a crap ton of reloadable brass for you.

What is the parent case for the 36NOSLER?

Looks like correctly stamped brass is going for over $5 per unprimed piece.

What is the parent case for the 36NOSLER?

Looks like correctly stamped brass is going for over $5 per unprimed piece.

I think the rest of the range (from 27 to 33) are all based on the .404jeff same as the RUM family of rounds. I'd assume that this one is no different. I don't know how much they've meddled with them or how easy it is to 'simply' neck them down it is though.

Al

As a related note, the ballistics look truly impressive on the Noslers. I like the idea of the 28 especially.

Zero at 250yds with a 160gr bullet and I'd never have to consider hold over on game ever again.

Anyone know what the barrel life is on these?

Al.

@Alistair I think @Hogpatrol shoots a 28 nosler? Correct me if I’m wrong. He could chime in on barrel life.

I think the speed of that bullet will make a fantastic hole in any game animal smaller than 300 lbs. I’ve been impressed by what a 7mm Rem mag does at 100 yards.

btw: what rifle(s) will you bring when you come to the USA?

Barrel life depends... How hot you run them. How many shots before allowing it to cool. Which powder your running. I have heard of barrels being "shot out" (noticeable decline of accuracy) at as few as 500 rds or less. 700-900 seems to be more common. For a normal hunting rifle not as bad as it sounds. If you do a lot of practice plan on a new barrel occasionally.
Bruce

As a related note, the ballistics look truly impressive on the Noslers. I like the idea of the 28 especially.

Zero at 250yds with a 160gr bullet and I'd never have to consider hold over on game ever again.

Anyone know what the barrel life is on these?

Al.
my 7mm stw does 3200 with a 160 gn bullet.
for deer sized game it is zeroed at 300 yds, and has a point blank out to 350.
in the field that is a long way.
as a comparison i zero the 280 dead on at 250 for a point blank of 300 with 140 gn bullets at 3000.
the stw hits noticeably harder than the 280.
it is in fact better on 600 to 800 lb animals with good shots and barnes bullets than the 9,3x64 with nosler partitions and less than perfect shots.
i would guess that the nosler 7mm is in this category.
those cartridges are best left to shooting only at game and practising with something else.
compare a 7mm 160 gn at 3,200 to a 375 300gn at 2550 for energy.
bruce.

@Alistair I think @Hogpatrol shoots a 28 nosler? Correct me if I’m wrong. He could chime in on barrel life.

I think the speed of that bullet will make a fantastic hole in any game animal smaller than 300 lbs. I’ve been impressed by what a 7mm Rem mag does at 100 yards.

btw: what rifle(s) will you bring when you come to the USA?

Cheers!

No rifles are coming with me to the US by the way. It's just not worth the hassle of importing and rifls are so much cheaper in the US that I can sell second hand here and buy new there so...

Al.

my 7mm stw does 3200 with a 160 gn bullet.
for deer sized game it is zeroed at 300 yds, and has a point blank out to 350.
in the field that is a long way.
as a comparison i zero the 280 dead on at 250 for a point blank of 300 with 140 gn bullets at 3000.
the stw hits noticeably harder than the 280.
it is in fact better on 600 to 800 lb animals with good shots and barnes bullets than the 9,3x64 with nosler partitions and less than perfect shots.
i would guess that the nosler 7mm is in this category.
those cartridges are best left to shooting only at game and practising with something else.
compare a 7mm 160 gn at 3,200 to a 375 300gn at 2550 for energy.
bruce.

Yeah, I play in that sort of league now too. I currently drive a 145gr bullet at 2950 in my 270win.

Nosler are claiming more like 3300 with a 160gr or 3550 with a 140gr! The Nosler should be giving marginally more than the STW.

I care little about performance either way beyond 350, but the idea of something that was point and shoot (+/-3") out to that maximum distance seems at least a little compelling.

It's admittedly less compelling when my current shooting volume would burn out between two and three complete barrels every year though!

Al.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois