35w & 220 Hammer Hunters Strikes Again

jwp475

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
One shot, one hog

20211029_115503.jpg

You guys and your hogs! nice! I wish I had bacon running around in NY with a population like rats... Man farmers would PAY me to come hunt the hogs and I would be in bacon year round! the .35 is quickly becoming one of my favorite calibers, however, my favorite is the .358 win. I can't say why, I just like mine and it is accurate to boot. Makes me get a little bit closer.

No one ever comments on the quality of meat you get from a wild hog (I have never eaten one). Does it have any fat on it or is it pretty lean like most other wild game?

You guys and your hogs! nice! I wish I had bacon running around in NY with a population like rats... Man farmers would PAY me to come hunt the hogs and I would be in bacon year round! the .35 is quickly becoming one of my favorite calibers, however, my favorite is the .358 win. I can't say why, I just like mine and it is accurate to boot. Makes me get a little bit closer.

No one ever comments on the quality of meat you get from a wild hog (I have never eaten one). Does it have any fat on it or is it pretty lean like most other wild game?
There's some wild bacon in southern New York, near lounsbury and Nichols if you're ever in the area. They're escapees from a game farm

There's some wild bacon in southern New York, near lounsbury and Nichols if you're ever in the area. They're escapees from a game farm
Yeah but there is no hunting season for them. NYS DEC traps wild hogs by the sounder and destroys them. Apparently it works really well to control the hog population if there aren't 40 million of them like there are in the southern states. they don't want people shooting them because they never kill the whole family group, just a few individuals.

Yeah but there is no hunting season for them. NYS DEC traps wild hogs by the sounder and destroys them. Apparently it works really well to control the hog population if there aren't 40 million of them like there are in the southern states. they don't want people shooting them because they never kill the whole family group, just a few individuals.
I killed 39 of them in a few years. There around for guys who wanna hunt them

I killed 39 of them in a few years. There around for guys who wanna hunt them
I live up in the Adirondacks, but I may see if I can find a place somewhere on the border that has hogs and will let me hunt them. Even though there is no season... who's to say I am not hunting Coyote with my .375 Ruger?!

the quality of the meat depends heavily on diet.

also, they do accumulate more fat that most wild critters, but it isn't very much, and it is poor quality. the fat just won't set up...you know how when you fry bacon, even the fat gets firm or even crispy? fat from feral hogs just won't ever do that.

they're good for hams, shoulders, backstrap, and tenderloins, just like a deer. and if you kill a big enough one (down here, the big ones of 150 lbs+), and if the meat doesn't just smell totally rancid, which it frequently does with the big ones, you can probably salvage the cappocola. don't expect it to be really large, but it is worth the effort at a certain point.

Chris G, to answer your question re "fat" on a wild hog. The ones I've taken were in Texas and Missouri so those from other areas may be different. I had a commercial butcher make kielbasa and he had to add fat from domestic hogs. We had a lot of the hams smoked and they were as good as any I've eaten. They make for good Mexican fare as well.

the quality of the meat depends heavily on diet.

also, they do accumulate more fat that most wild critters, but it isn't very much, and it is poor quality. the fat just won't set up...you know how when you fry bacon, even the fat gets firm or even crispy? fat from feral hogs just won't ever do that.

they're good for hams, shoulders, backstrap, and tenderloins, just like a deer. and if you kill a big enough one (down here, the big ones of 150 lbs+), and if the meat doesn't just smell totally rancid, which it frequently does with the big ones, you can probably salvage the cappocola. don't expect it to be really large, but it is worth the effort at a certain point.
In “The Foxfire Book” (a good read for any outdoorsman) they would run their hogs in the mountains to feed them out, then catch them and feed them corn for two or three weeks before butchering. This was to “clean them up”. Apparently nuts made them taste bad.

They are fine for making sausage, but generally that's about all I want to do with them. I've had some in Europe that were great, but I've yet to replicate that here in the states.

In “The Foxfire Book” (a good read for any outdoorsman) they would run their hogs in the mountains to feed them out, then catch them and feed them corn for two or three weeks before butchering. This was to “clean them up”. Apparently nuts made them taste bad.
and around here, so do the snakes, frogs, grubs, and tubers they commonly feed on. they're as omnivorous as bears.

I have been experimenting with Corning wild game and so far, The results have been excellent. It turns out spices and nitrite salts will fix anything wrong with your meat, short of rot. I have corned whitetail and bear meat and both have been great. I am thinking wild hog would taste similar to a cured ham and also be very good.

Chris G, to answer your question re "fat" on a wild hog. The ones I've taken were in Texas and Missouri so those from other areas may be different. I had a commercial butcher make kielbasa and he had to add fat from domestic hogs. We had a lot of the hams smoked and they were as good as any I've eaten. They make for good Mexican fare as well.
Plus... If you shoot them with a 6.5x55 it just makes them taste better right?! Sorry, I know you're a huge swede fan like me. bird's of a feather and whatnot...

they are fun right up to the point where they start destroying your property....

they are fun right up to the point where they start destroying your property....
Exactly, but we still manage to have fun taking them out on our property. Destructive, smart, and fast evil creatures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,