358 Winchester loads

Bignut

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,
I am thinking of taking my 358 BLR to africa for plains game in May. With all of the knowledge here, I wondered what type of bullet you guys would recommend. I'm thinking something in the 250 grain range, but am open to being educated! I can get Nosler, Speer, and Swift locally.

I loaded up my Ruger American 358 with 225 grain Nosler Partitions. Muzzle velocity was 2478 fps with a slightly over book load. It may have been a fast barrel because Buffalo Bore factory ammo was also faster then it should have been.

It did massive damage on caribou. I hit one at about 130 yards and it went through one shoulder and out the other. I finished off a 2nd wounded caribou at close range. In that case the bullet went through one shoulder, broke the bone, broke a rib and blew out the opposite shoulder, also breaking that shoulder bone. So I'd hunt pretty much any non dangerous game with it. Only issue it the trajectory isn't great. Arguably a 30-06 might be better for longer shots.

One of my hunt partners took a BLR in 358 Win to Namibia on a trip with myself and one other hunter in 2010. We all agreed, at the hunt's end that this rifle combo was about perfect for what we did. Lots of scrub hunting with ranges under 225 yards. He took oryx, zebra and hartebeeste, plus a beautiful kudu. The load was a 250 grain cup and core bullet at 2250, but I can't recall the particulars beyond that. I'd like to use same gun/cartridge combo on next hunt...if, and a big if, ....could get the trigger pull right......His BLR trigger needed improvement...............good luck on your quest..................FWB

I loaded up my Ruger American 358 with 225 grain Nosler Partitions. Muzzle velocity was 2478 fps with a slightly over book load. It may have been a fast barrel because Buffalo Bore factory ammo was also faster then it should have been.

It did massive damage on caribou. I hit one at about 130 yards and it went through one shoulder and out the other. I finished off a 2nd wounded caribou at close range. In that case the bullet went through one shoulder, broke the bone, broke a rib and blew out the opposite shoulder, also breaking that shoulder bone. So I'd hunt pretty much any non dangerous game with it. Only issue it the trajectory isn't great. Arguably a 30-06 might be better for longer shots.
Alaska Luke
Load your 358 with 200 grain accubonds or 225 Sierra game king or 225grain woodleigh, all shortened bullets that allows a bit more velocity use at say a max of 200 yards it will take care of PG and have a trajectory similar to the 308.
Use it and have a great hunt.
Cheers mate Bob

Alaska Luke
Your load has a muzzle energy of 4.158 Joule (over 420 kg) which is enough for even the strongest bears.
I would not make me any sorrows

One of my hunt partners took a BLR in 358 Win to Namibia on a trip with myself and one other hunter in 2010. We all agreed, at the hunt's end that this rifle combo was about perfect for what we did. Lots of scrub hunting with ranges under 225 yards. He took oryx, zebra and hartebeeste, plus a beautiful kudu. The load was a 250 grain cup and core bullet at 2250, but I can't recall the particulars beyond that. I'd like to use same gun/cartridge combo on next hunt...if, and a big if, ....could get the trigger pull right......His BLR trigger needed improvement...............good luck on your quest..................FWB
Amen on the trigger pull. Some blr's are better than others, but my 358 takes practice. I know it is a great round on bear with 1 shot kills. I have a 375 H&H, but I do like to use different calibers than "the norm".

Amen on the trigger pull. Some blr's are better than others, but my 358 takes practice. I know it is a great round on bear with 1 shot kills. I have a 375 H&H, but I do like to use different calibers than "the norm".
Bignut
My mate had a 308 BLR bloody woeful trigger. My gunsmith Rob Spittles in Rylestone fixed the problem ended up a nice 3 pounds but still a bit creepy.
Any gunsmith worth his salt could fix it for you
Cheers mate Bob

I have had good luck with 225 grain partitions and would be confident with it to 300 yards. I have never lost an animal I hit with 358.

When I got my BLR the trigger pull was a horrendous 9 lbs. I took it to Neil Jones in Erie PA and he got it down to 3.5 lbs and it breaks like glass. My son has a BLR in 7-08 and his breaks at 4 lbs so it is just a crap shoot what you will get from factory. I love my 358 but have several others I would take to Africa ahead of it.

I am thinking of taking my 358 BLR to africa for plains game in May. With all of the knowledge here, I wondered what type of bullet you guys would recommend. I'm thinking something in the 250 grain range, but am open to being educated! I can get Nosler, Speer, and Swift locally.
It'll be awesome. But personally, I would opt for 225 gr just for the bsliatic advantage. Try the Nosler Accubonds. But the Partitions would be great. I have no experience with Speer bullets, but have heard good things. Go to Terminal Ballistics (.com). Good info on the 35Whelen, but applicable to the .358.

I have had good luck with 225 grain partitions and would be confident with it to 300 yards. I have never lost an animal I hit with 358.

Excellent choice I might add.
Only thing is that if using on buffalo you should consider the 250 grain Bullets fir deeper penetration.

Excellent choice I might add.
Only thing is that if using on buffalo you should consider the 250 grain Bullets fir deeper penetration.
Not that I don't think it would kill a buff but I have a 9.3x62 that would probably be better suited with a 286 grain or 300 grain bullet.

Bignut
Owing to the magazine length I would choose the 225 grain Sierra Game king or the 200 grain accubond. These would give a great balance of performance and range.
The 358 doesn't drive cup and core bullets fast enough to disintegrate them so I would stick with them and forget Barnes and the like.
The 358 punches above its weight and would be great on plains game. Another bullet that would work well is the 225 grain Woodleigh PPSP.
Cheers mate
Bob Nelson

reviving an old thread to ask some 358 Win questions..

Im in the middle of putting together a 358 Win project rifle.. its got a 23" bbl on a Savage 110 action...

It looks like Buffalo Bore is producing a 225 gr TSX cartridge that clocks at about 2500 FPS...

Ive checked 4 different reloading manuals.. the best velocities Im seeing at more in the 2300-2400 range, and that's with the case at 100% capacity and not shooting the longer TSX bullet..

I get that the manuals are always a bit on the conservative side.. and I also get that Buffalo Bore is known for getting great velocity out of heavy projectiles..

Im looking for some load data that could get me pretty close to that 2500 mark with a 225gr projectile (Im going to start with accubonds and see how they fly first, and then move on from there if they don't work out).. is this within the realm of possibility? Or am I asking too much of the 358 Win?

For whitetail, hogs, etc.. Im sure I'll load down a good bit from there.. and will probably shoot 225 SP somewhere around 2200-2300 fps.. that's way more than enough for the animals and the distances I might use this rifle on..

Im just wondering where the true top end for the caliber is and what it is really capable of...

My loads are over book so I won't go into them here. With a longer barrel than I have, I would be getting about 2500 fps with a short 225 grain bullet. I doubt I could do that with the longer 225 Accubond becausethe load is a bit compressed. I'm right under pressure signs so careful here. Actually I would not use my load in Africa temperatures. I have it, it has worked consistently in Alaska so I'm keeping it. But i probably would probably would not start another. 358 unless I was happy with a bit lower velocities. Your rifle might show pressure sooner.

Im in the middle of putting together a 358 Win project rifle.. its got a 23" bbl on a Savage 110 action...

It looks like Buffalo Bore is producing a 225 gr TSX cartridge that clocks at about 2500 FPS...

Ive checked 4 different reloading manuals.. the best velocities Im seeing at more in the 2300-2400 range, and that's with the case at 100% capacity and not shooting the longer TSX bullet..

I get that the manuals are always a bit on the conservative side.. and I also get that Buffalo Bore is known for getting great velocity out of heavy projectiles..

Im looking for some load data that could get me pretty close to that 2500 mark with a 225gr projectile (Im going to start with accubonds and see how they fly first, and then move on from there if they don't work out).. is this within the realm of possibility? Or am I asking too much of the 358 Win?

For whitetail, hogs, etc.. Im sure I'll load down a good bit from there.. and will probably shoot 225 SP somewhere around 2200-2300 fps.. that's way more than enough for the animals and the distances I might use this rifle on..

Im just wondering where the true top end for the caliber is and what it is really capable of...
@mdwest

Check out Paco Kelly's article on the 358win, now that's an eye-opener.
Bob

I have a 22" barrel on a M.70 Featherweight action. Using the 225 Sierra Gameking bullet, with IMR-4320 I get 2519 fps and H-335 yields 2518 fps. I have no need for the super tuff premium bullets as elk is the biggest game I've taken. The .358 Winchester is truly a great cartridge.

8JhrbEcl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend the 225grn Swift A-Frame. At 2530fps using W748 it will handle everything up to Eland. I had excellent results when I used my 358 in Namibia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!