.350 Griffin & Howe - looking for load data

DonT

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Good Day,

I have recently acquired a double rifle made by Jules Bury in this caliber and it came with a quantity of brass and some 200 & 225 bullets. I found one load by PO Ackley which shows using 88.0 gr.s IMR 4350 with a 250 grain bullet but I would like to try and find some other load suggestions that might be a little more fun to shoot in a light double rifle for plinking.

If anyone else is shooting this cartridge I would love to hear from you.

Respectfully,
DonT

I have not worked with the .350 G&H but have a .358 Norma.
Since the .350 G&H is just a necked down .375 H&H we can reasonably assume that their capacities are similar.
The Barnes #3 manual lists the case capacity of the .358 Norma as 87.57 gn of water and the .375 H&H as 96.37 gn of water.
The Nosler #8 manual says the capacity of the .358 with a 250 gn bullet seated is 78.0 gn and the .375 with a 300 gn bullet seated is 78.5 gn. From these two sources it seems reasonable to conclude that the .350 G&H and .358 Norma have very similar capacities with the G&H having a bit more with a bullet seated. One could easily weigh a fired G&H case before & after filling water to confirm.
If it were my project I would try a medium burning-rate powder, like IMR4064 and use starting loads for the .358 Norma. The Hornady #7 manual lists about 57 gn of 4064 for 200 gn or 250 gn bullets. I am no handloading guru and encourage skepticism. Don't take my word for it, consult other sources and make your own decisions.

Having blown primers with PO Ackley's starting loads I would avoid his data like the plague. The load you mentioned (88 gn of IMR4350) is at least 15 gn over what I would consider maximum in the .358 Norma and very much doubt if more than 80 gn would fit in the case. I think it is a typo.

I have an image of an old G&H advertisement which says their ammunition was loaded with a 275 gn bullet at 2441 fps. Who knows if anything else will shoot anywhere near where the sights are pointing.

Cheers,
Walt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!