35 Whelen. WDM Bell. Col. Whelen

Flint

AH veteran
Reaction score
Articles
Was contemplating on the following.
The calibre in question was available during the time that Walter Bell was hunting. The 35 Whelen had a slow heavy bullet as preferred by Mr. Bell. With moderate recoil. And it is said that Mr. Bell was a personal friend of Col. Whelen.

I just find it strange that in my research I did not come accross WDMB hunting elephant with a 35 Whelen.
Could it have been rifle- or ammo cost? Surely not the availability.
Am I missing something?
Can someone please comment?

Regards from South Africa.

It is not the masses who changed the world. But single individual leaders.

I don't ever recall reading that (he used the .35 W.) He'd have been 42 when it first came out ('22 as a G&Howe proprietary) and died just over 10 yrs later ('54ish). Perhaps he didn't write about it, but the 6.5, 7, 303 and 318 come to mind (he liked the 318 with 225ish grain solids-close enough to the 35, but probably better penetration due to higher SD, solids availability.) I'd hunt elephant with a hot 264 or 338 (higher V, SD) prior to contemplating a 35-06. Uncertain when P.O. Ackley introduced the Improved version, but Bell would've liked that! No chance of bagging an elephant side-on using typ. 35 hunting bullets of that time. He loved easy to shoot, accurate military rounds where FMJs were available to do the job! War and peace seemed a shorter book?

In his article in American Rifleman 'Small Bore vs Big Bore..' he mentioned liking the 30-06 if it had been readily available to him and even that he'd have used a 308 had it been around, but never the 35 Whelen. His ammunition reasoning was very practical. What could he get cheaply and in bulk with heavy FMJ bullets. Military ammo fit those specs perfectly. 35 Whelen would be a special order item, so not practical to him.

'Agreed, the 06 using 220 gr solids is the same medicine as mentioned above, and EH being a writer/hunter born 19 years after Bell definitely influenced him (Papa's favorite "DG" gun-a 30-06! He was gifted a 577 double by Guest, but according to his PH Percival he favored the much less punishing 06!) 'Still the basic meat collector in Africa today (albeit not DG in our circles.)

BobNelson35Whelen is either sleeping or more likely in a very good trance over the potential of this post! Unlock the truth of this great mystery.....Sry about Woodleigh (I LOVE their bullets; 160 6.5, 350 375s and 450 416s-Apparently so did Kevin Robertson and Norma!)

...If Woodleigh should die before the hunting seasons wake, I pray Thee, Lord, Swift SPs and Barnes Banded Solids (for Norma African PH series) to take! -Unk

it says in his bio he retired from African hunting after WWI was over (which he participated in). He did not hunt in Africa w/ a 1922 invention. Personally, I recall reading about his use of the 22 WMR wildcats of the late 1800s....He'd move herds around with butt shots, and then clearing the path for the biggest bull, he'd place one (40 gr W-W) FMJ directly through pupil, at a precise angle correlating with the brain, but also to just glance the optic nerve....Or, was it an AR-15??

@Shootist43 ,nice to have another self certified Whelen Nut here.

Now it's Wakey Time in Australia, if @Bob Nelson 35Whelen doesn't chime in I will give him a call.

The short answer I think is that .35Whelen is not suitable.

Yes, WD Bell was an exception to the rule with his knowledge, skill and accomplishments. He used a 7x57,

Could've been Jameson or Johnson (or Shockey-with a Sponsor gun)? lol

Bell probably never heard of it until after he retired. He liked the smaller bores and took most of his ele with the 7x57 and 6.5 caliber rounds.

BobNelson35Whelen is either sleeping or more likely in a very good trance over the potential of this post! Unlock the truth of this great mystery.....Sry about Woodleigh (I LOVE their bullets; 160 6.5, 350 375s and 450 416s-Apparently so did Kevin Robertson and Norma!)

...If Woodleigh should die before the hunting seasons wake, I pray Thee, Lord, Swift SPs and Barnes Banded Solids (for Norma African PH series) to take! -Unk
Just wait till Townsend wakes up and sees this ....... you (we) will regret it! LOL

Was contemplating on the following.
The calibre in question was available during the time that Walter Bell was hunting. The 35 Whelen had a slow heavy bullet as preferred by Mr. Bell. With moderate recoil. And it is said that Mr. Bell was a personal friend of Col. Whelen.

I just find it strange that in my research I did not come accross WDMB hunting elephant with a 35 Whelen.
Could it have been rifle- or ammo cost? Surely not the availability.
Am I missing something?
Can someone please comment?

Regards from South Africa.

It is not the masses who changed the world. But single individual leaders.
@Flint
I can find no record of Bell using a 35 Whelen or a 350 Rigby magnum for that matter
On the other hand John Taylor thought the 350 Rigby ideal for plains game
Screenshot_20220210-102632_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220210-103135_Chrome.jpg

Nowdays the Whelen loaded with a 225gn Woodleigh Hydro or a 310gn solid at 2,300 fps would drop an elephant the same as a 9.3x62 but there are far better cartridges around for that job
Bob

Good morning, Fine Sir! How's the tea? Olivia Newton-John?? ;)

Flint, as a certified 35 Whelen nut, I'll be following the answers to this one. What year did WDMB quit hunting?
Shootest43.

As I have it. Did he return to hunt in Liberia. After ww1, During 1921.

Thereafter was he back on a “Road safari”. Exactly when do I not know. And did not come back to Uganda as intended during 1939 due to it being interrupted by ww2.

But I must in all humbleness state that I am not a fundi on WDM Bell. I only can not learn enough of his masterly tuition on elephant hunting.

These sections of his book do I just about know off by heart.

And in this subject. Have I heard mention. That the present day elephant hunter has his rifle in one hand. And Ron Thomson’s book. Mahohboh. In the other.

Enjoy your 35!

I don't ever recall reading that (he used the .35 W.) He'd have been 42 when it first came out ('22 as a G&Howe proprietary) and died just over 10 yrs later ('54ish). Perhaps he didn't write about it, but the 6.5, 7, 303 and 318 come to mind (he liked the 318 with 225ish grain solids-close enough to the 35, but probably better penetration due to higher SD, solids availability.) I'd hunt elephant with a hot 264 or 338 (higher V, SD) prior to contemplating a 35-06. Uncertain when P.O. Ackley introduced the Improved version, but Bell would've liked that! No chance of bagging an elephant side-on using typ. 35 hunting bullets of that time. He loved easy to shoot, accurate military rounds where FMJs were available to do the job! War and peace seemed a shorter book?

Quite so.

In his article in American Rifleman 'Small Bore vs Big Bore..' he mentioned liking the 30-06 if it had been readily available to him and even that he'd have used a 308 had it been around, but never the 35 Whelen. His ammunition reasoning was very practical. What could he get cheaply and in bulk with heavy FMJ bullets. Military ammo fit those specs perfectly. 35 Whelen would be a special order item, so not practical to him.

Yes. he polished a penny before parting with it.

Bell probably never heard of it until after he retired. He liked the smaller bores and took most of his ele with the 7x57 and 6.5 caliber rounds.

But it is reported that he was well befriended with Col. Whelen....
This why I am of the opinion that he was well aware of it.
But the mention of doing it in the most economical manner just about answers it.
Also did WDMB mention categorically. That he never, But ever had a hang up or misfire with the DWM ammo. But. In contrast. Had endless frustration with British primers.

@Flint
I can find no record of Bell using a 35 Whelen or a 350 Rigby magnum for that matter
On the other hand John Taylor thought the 350 Rigby ideal for plains game
View attachment 451894
View attachment 451896
Nowdays the Whelen loaded with a 225gn Woodleigh Hydro or a 310gn solid at 2,300 fps would drop an elephant the same as a 9.3x62 but there are far better cartridges around for that job
Bob

True Bob Nelson.
Woodleighs Hydros are very good bullets.

And regarding the Woodleigh factory fire would I very much like to hear what the latest is?
A Woodleigh-direct report was that their packaged stock was burnt. But that they have stock. But still on drums. And will supply in future.
Another report on AH I read today states the contrary..........

Just wait till Townsend wakes up and sees this ....... you (we) will regret it! LOL
Damn!! (Somone's shooting small-hole solids through my truck!) I just chased him off by appeasing with what appeared to be moly-coated .358 solids (ebony plugs to hide the TP roll holder screws)

Good morning, Fine Sir! How's the tea? Olivia Newton-John?? ;)

Rubbing a newly budded mopane leaf between thumb and index finger. And smelling the tupentine.
Witnessing the birth of a new day. Very early on.
The sound of a fish eagle. The Nightjar's "Good Lord deliver us" call.
The snorting of impala rams. Day- and night time during the rut.
Looking through your binos. At seemingly nothing. For ten minutes. And only then see an eland cow's eye blink.
The menacing of a pesky go away bird.
The alarm bark of a Kudu cow. Still a long way off.
The smell of leadwood or mopane smoke from a fire.
Also the silence of a night. After the fire goes to calmness. To rest in coals and ash.
So has every country it's own beauty.
And all the pictures. Are taken to heaven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaFairb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you