35 Whelen vs. 35 Whelen AI

Nevada Mike

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Saskatchewan, Old Mexico, British Columbia, Tanzania
Thinking of perhaps making a 35 Whelen for a 'medium' rifle. Anything to choose between the standard and AI versions?

I spoke to Bob about the same. I'm quite certain he will chime in but the bottom line the handful of fps gained just wasn't worth the trouble with the 35

Thinking of perhaps making a 35 Whelen for a 'medium' rifle. Anything to choose between the standard and AI versions?
@Nevada Mike
I have both the AI and standard Whelen. With Hogdon CFE223 the standard Whelen can be given a real set of balls. Check out the speer reloading site for the 250 grainer, you can get up to 2,700fps. The 225s get along at 2,900fps.
By the time you fireform the case to AI you have wasted powder, projectiles and primers that could have been used for proper loads in the standard Whelen. Is the gain of 50 to 100 fps worth the playing around only you can tell but to me no it's not.
Bob.

Not too worried about differences in velocity, but I have read that the AI version may offer better headspacing and case life. Any truth to this?

Not too worried about differences in velocity, but I have read that the AI version may offer better headspacing and case life. Any truth to this?
I feel like worrying about case life on a .35 whelen is like worrying about the case life of 9mm. .30-06 brass is like sand, you can find it anywhere and just run it through the sizer and wam! You have .35 Whelen. Being that it is even less overbore than .30-06, its case life should be many many loads. Even more if you anneal the neck every 5 loads or so and instead of loading a 250 to 2,700, load it to 2,650 and you won't beat the case up as much. At 2,650 a 250 grain bullet will still kill anything in North America.

But how does the AI compare when using Hogdon CFE223?
Surely it must boost it also.
@sambarhunter
Possibly does mate but still need More powder just to reach normal velocities then more powder is needed to give it the boost. Not really worth it in my book.
I started with the AI then said suff it and went with the standard. A lot less hassle.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg