35 Whelen 310 gr information

20230319_212650.jpg

Well, I'm not Bob but, hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am meeting up with Bob at the end of March. If you are truly desperate, I could make my reloading manuals (and other materials) available to him. Otherwise ... I could play sad music for you, on the smallest violin in the world:D!
P.S. I am currently at a (Scottish Single Malt) whisky tasting.

@ZG47
Looking forward to seeing you at gun city.
I have an issue with gun control tho.
I have trouble controlling the amount of guns I buy.
HA HA HA HA
Bob
Five (5) minute drive from my house and 35 minute walk downhill OR uphill (even with latest acquisition in backpack). Possibly … a little too close? :D:A Banana::D Beers:

Woodleigh reloading manual, what outlet/would carry that book, I am interested in purchasing one, do you know if the website sells manuals, thank you. I need loading data on 310 grain projectiles out of a 35 Whelen. custom Mauser.

View attachment 523611
I found my Woodleigh manual at Midway a few years back. I loaded the 310 in a mauser and shot a bison in NE one hit on the shoulder. Dead when it hit the ground at about 75' on the run.

I found my Woodleigh manual at Midway a few years back. I loaded the 310 in a mauser and shot a bison in NE one hit on the shoulder. Dead when it hit the ground at about 75' on the run.
Very interesting are use the 300 grain Barnes soft point they don’t make it anymore, what powders did you use? I’ve been using Winchester, 748 and a. H CFE223 Bob Nelson recommended it from this site. Cheers, Tony.

thanks for the response. the bullet i handloaded was the 310 grain woodleigh using the woodleigh reloading manual with 35 whelen cases and RL15 (as i remember). At any rate straight from the manual. I was going to take it to Africa but ended up with a 375 and 470 double. However, like as said, i took a bison in NE with one shot back of the shoulder in a small heard of 15 or so buff on the move. Dropped on the spot. Alan
Note; you can find the woodleight manual on their website.

I'm sure Bob would advise you to work up carefully.
IIRC, Bob's 35W has a 25" custom barrel.

Very interesting are use the 300 grain Barnes soft point they don’t make it anymore, what powders did you use? I’ve been using Winchester, 748 and a. H CFE223 Bob Nelson recommended it from this site. Cheers, Tony.
@TigerTony35whelen
To get the 310s moving in the Whelen you need H4350. The max load is 59gn for almost 2,300fps and is a compressed load. That load turns up 47,000 cup according to Woodleigh.
If you use a 60cm/2 foot drop tube you can get 62gn upto the base of the neck and still seat the big 310. Still compressed but not as bad as without the drop tube. This load is still under pressure but the usual caveat applies. Approach this load from 2 grains below.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg