AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA DSC
What bullet would you recommend for the .338 for Plains game For my first safari I normally shoot 225 grain Barnes TSX out of it but I'm having a hard time getting them.
Thanks Tom

I used 225 grain Nosler accubonds on my first hunt. Are you talking factory loads or for handloading (mine were handloads).

Remington 225gr. Swift AFrame

What bullet would you recommend for the .338 for Plains game For my first safari I normally shoot 225 grain Barnes TSX out of it but I'm having a hard time getting them.
Thanks Tom

Drive to Utah, I'm sure they have some at the factory. I did. :)

A lot is going to depend on weather you are looking for just the bullet or loaded ammo.

Sportsman's Warehouse had both TSX and TTSX in stock a few weeks ago for just the bullets.

For loaded ammo check out Ammo Seek and then muddle your way through their list.

I used 250 gr. Speer Grand Slams in mine for PG. All one shot kills, no bullets recovered though.

Are you looking for loaded ammo or just bullets?

I use either Barnes 210gr TSX or Nosler Accubonds. Both extremely accurate with devastating effects on plains game.

The old partition 250 is hard to beat as a PG load. On the two trips I have taken the .338, I have never recovered one.

I used Swift 225gr A-Frames and all were one shot kills. Took about 35 animals.

I have learned over the years to take new ammo on a safari.
Issues others have had using reloads while on trips is something i do not have to worry about.

So i have used new factory ammo.
Hornady, Barnes, Remington & Federal

for my 338 Win Mag. i have used the following.
Barnes 225 gr
Swift 225 gr in Remington & Remington 225 or 250 gr.

The 225 grain TSX is my favorite. Keep looking!

I have learned over the years to take new ammo on a safari.
Issues others have had using reloads while on trips is something i do not have to worry about.

What kind of issues or problems have you seen or heard about with reloaded ammo?

If a person has trouble with his reloads in Africa then they also have trouble at home or any other place. Africa is not the magic make it go bad country.
If a person cannot make safe, reliable ammo for Africa or any other place then they should not reload at all.

I have had bad cartridges from Win factory ammo myself. One reason I always shoot my own loaded ammo. I do use new brass for my hunting ammo no matter where I am hunting. I use reloads for target practice, sighting in and varmint shooting.

The biggest problem that I have seen with reloads is when the loader is just neck sizing the case and then not trying every reloaded round in the rifle that it is going to be shot in. Right now I have 60 reloaded rounds waiting for a trip to my range so that I can chamber each and every one of them before I head over to SA in May.

I have never had a bad reload in over 40 years or reloading both pistol and rifle cases. That is why I asked the question.

Here in Alaska the .338 Winchester is very common for hunting deer, caribou, elk, blackbear, grizzly, moose, bison, Mt goat, Dall sheep, wolf and coyote.

One of the most popular bullets for it here, is the 250 grain Nosler Partition.

Therefore, it seems to me that the .338 with 250 NP would be hard to beat for African non-dangerous game, from eland to duiker.

Where legal, it seems like it would be a decent leopard or lion getter but, I have absolutely no personal experience with these two animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross