338-06 loads

eloudamy

AH member
Reaction score
So, I have been trying to find a perfect load for my 338-06 and, while there is data available on loaddata.com and other sources, some of the better, current, extreme powders are just not listed. Much of the data I find is with powders like H414/W760, BLC2, 4320, and others that are temperature sensitive. I presume it’s because this isn’t the hottest, most popular caliber out there. I don’t want to travel half way around the world with loads that can change 80 fps due to temperature swings.

I could find H4350 load data but in some other calibers I have found RL16 to give better velocity, SD’s and as good of accuracy but data was missing for this powder. I also have most of an 8# keg, so that’s obviously another incentive to try it. Without available data, I extrapolated and started quite low, then worked up to this load.

My rifle is an Ackley version so keep that in mind. Velocity doesn’t improve much with the AI version so you might get similar with the standard chamber.
My rifle also has a 26” barrel.

Weatherby (Nosler) 338-06 cases, FLS, third firing.
210 gr Nosler Partition
RL16 proved to show the best velocity with the least pressure. Today I got 2843 FPS with a case full, slightly compressed at 60.0 grains. That’s about equal to 338WM factory loads.

If you try this, start really low, like 56.0 gr and work up, but it seems to be a great powder for this caliber.

I have only done cursory Accuracy testing so far but this rifle seems to be really good with about any load and bullet so far. I’m hopeful this combination will follow suit and I’ll update once I have some more time to shoot more groups.

Hope this helps someone.

Varget Seemed to be in the right burn rate, certainly for this caliber but it didn’t perform well for me. Well, honestly I only tested it with some 185 grain Fusions but not with the partitions. RL 16 and H4350 I thought would be too slow but are proving to perform much better than some of the faster powders. If others show enough interest in this load development, I’ll be glad to provide more info I’ve discovered.
wL

A few years (actually about 20) I did some load development for an article in Handloader Digest with the 338/06 Ackley. It was in a CP Donnelly barreled Win M54. 22" barrel. I'll see if I can find the data. Seems the advantage over the 338 Win Mag was primarily with lighter bullets which at the time were 200 grain Speers and 210 Noslers.

The 338-06 is my go to PG cartridge for everything up to but not including eland. I spent a lot of time going through the different combinations of bullets and powders available for the 338-06. I found several bullets that shot well but IMO are not serious, tough big game bullets. Early on, powders like VV N550, IMR 4350, Rel 19 proved very good. But your thoughts on powder temperature sensitively is not lost on me. I figure, if given a choice, why not use a powder that is not temperature sensitive!

My rifle is a CRF Win 70 with Krieger 10" twist barrel. The best powder bullet combinations I found for hunting and for my use was Varget with either 210 or 225 gr Barnes TSX. I don't hot rod loads for the sake of it. So, load combinations that maximize velocities really don't interest me. I settled on a muzzle velocity objective of about 2550 fps with both the 210 gr and 225 gr TSXs. Varget has been my favorite powder and has not shown any squirrelly behaviors or pressures with either bullet, easily obtaining velocities in the objective 2550 fps range. SDs of velocity have consistently been in the 10 fps range. I found that petal expansion of the TSX to be text book loaded to about 2550 fps out to the maximum I'm comfortable shooting... +/- 300 yds with a rest.

I certainly value that perspective.
Eland is a beast but , while I have yet to make my first trip to Africa, I would be confident using this caliber on that species. Going up to a 225 grain partition or similar and staying within 200 yards would still deliver plenty of energy for terminal performance.
However, if there were a bigger cartridge in my gun safe, I’m sure I’d likely reach for it instead.

I certainly value that perspective.
Eland is a beast but , while I have yet to make my first trip to Africa, I would be confident using this caliber on that species. Going up to a 225 grain partition or similar and staying within 200 yards would still deliver plenty of energy for terminal performance.
However, if there were a bigger cartridge in my gun safe, I’m sure I’d likely reach for it instead.
Personally, I would not hesitate to use your 338/06 on Eland but I would using either a bonded or monolithic bullet. A frames, TSX...

In 2005 I did an article for Gun World magazine about this round using a 24" custom Model 70 Winchester.
I used powders from R15 to IMR4831 and bullets from 200 to 275 grs. I got some pretty impressive ballistics, though with newer powders they could probably be improved upon today.
I was getting over 2600 fps with 225's, about 2500 with 250's and drove the Speer 275 gr to 2400 for a muzzle energy over 3500 ft/lbs, using 59grs of IMR4831.
I like the round a lot, but like the .338 Win mag a bit better.

I looked up my load data- from 1989. 56 gr IMR 4320, 210 Nos Partition, 2800 fps. Previously fireformed WW Super case, WW WLR primer, Win M54 with 22" CP Donnelly barrel. Was a Chrony chronograph 15' from muzzle.

I found the 338 Win Mag to be more convenient.

Not much to add, but here are a couple of recovered 338-06 TSXs. Both shots were approx 100 yards with a muzzle vel of 2550 and impact velocity of estimated 2250. Some PHs claim that, by percentage, more blue wildebeest are lost after being hit than all other PG. I dunno? But I do I know that blue wildebeest are tough pound for pound and eland are big and not to be underestimated.

Bullet on left was recovered from a kudu bull shot center left shoulder and recovered in right shoulder. Bullet on right recovered from a blue wildebeest shot behind left shoulder and recovered in right shoulder. Greater upset of bullet on left likely due to penetrating through heavy bone at higher velocity shortly after entry.

338 TSX.png

Not much to add, but here are a couple of recovered 338-06 TSXs. Both shots were approx 100 yards with a muzzle vel of 2550 and impact velocity of estimated 2250. Some PHs claim that, by percentage, more blue wildebeest are lost after being hit than all other PG. I dunno? But I do I know that blue wildebeest are tough pound for pound and eland are big and not to be underestimated.

Bullet on left was recovered from a kudu bull shot center left shoulder and recovered in right shoulder. Bullet on right recovered from a blue wildebeest shot behind left shoulder and recovered in right shoulder. Greater upset of bullet on left likely due to penetrating through heavy bone at higher velocity shortly after entry.

View attachment 446756
Are those 210 or 225 grain TSX ?

@CoElkHunter, I see you just got a couple of boxes the 225s. I wouldn't hesitate a second using those to hunt with. I think you'll notice plenty of penetration! I tested both the 225s and 210s in my test media in addition to the load and accuracy testing before ever using the TSXs for hunting. I loaded both to about the same velocity of 2550. The 225s out penetrated the 210s by a small, consistent margin as would be expected because of greater momentum. Petal expansion was not distinguishable between the two because of identical nose design geometry operating at about the same impact velocities. Shank length determines weight differences with these. I chose the 210s because they were more accurate in my rifle. Both showed more than adequate penetration during the media testing, rivaling or exceeding top competitors like the A-Frame and recovering the 210s from animals is somewhat rare with high percentage pass-throughs.

Pushing them significantly faster, as out of a Win Mag, might change the performance dynamics. I dunno?

@CoElkHunter, I see you just got a couple of boxes the 225s. I wouldn't hesitate a second using those to hunt with. I think you'll notice plenty of penetration! I tested both the 225s and 210s in my test media in addition to the load and accuracy testing before ever using the TSXs for hunting. I loaded both to about the same velocity of 2550. The 225s out penetrated the 210s by a small, consistent margin as would be expected because of greater momentum. Petal expansion was not distinguishable between the two because of identical nose design geometry operating at about the same impact velocities. Shank length determines weight differences with these. I chose the 210s because they were more accurate in my rifle. Both showed more than adequate penetration during the media testing, rivaling or exceeding top competitors like the A-Frame and recovering the 210s from animals is somewhat rare with high percentage pass-throughs.

Pushing them significantly faster, as out of a Win Mag, might change the performance dynamics. I dunno?
Thanks for posting the bullet pictures and the information.
The 225 TSX, older Federal factory load out of a 338 Winchester certainly impressed me on a moose kill at about 150 yards. Plus those 225’s group very well out of that rifle.

I have quite a few 338, 210 TSX’s that I bought when 225’s were hard to find in previous component shortages. I suspected there would be very little difference in on game performance.
It would seem the 210 TSX would match well with the 338-06.

I know this is an older thread but is anyone using stabal 6.5 or superformance in their 338-06AI? I have a huge selection of bullets from 185-225gr to work with.

I know this is an older thread but is anyone using stabal 6.5 or superformance in their 338-06AI? I have a huge selection of bullets from 185-225gr to work with.
Not an AI but I use stabal 6.5 in mutiple 338-06 loads with good results I've found 270gr to have a nice recoil and pattern well.
I've been working on a 200gr load.

When I loaded for my 318WR I found a lot of data suggesting similar loads could be applied from 338/06. They were correct. I was getting sub-MOA loads with woodleigh 250gr bullets and RL19.

While it is wrought with more discipline and caution, if you can’t find a great published 338-06 load, using 318WR loads, validated with quickload, and meticulously checking for pressure signs would be another option.

In 2005 I did an article for Gun World magazine about this round using a 24" custom Model 70 Winchester.
I used powders from R15 to IMR4831 and bullets from 200 to 275 grs. I got some pretty impressive ballistics, though with newer powders they could probably be improved upon today.
I was getting over 2600 fps with 225's, about 2500 with 250's and drove the Speer 275 gr to 2400 for a muzzle energy over 3500 ft/lbs, using 59grs of IMR4831.
I like the round a lot, but like the .338 Win mag a bit better.
@sestoppelman
As good as the 338-06 is it still ain't no Whelen. It's 200 fps slower than the Whelen.
Sorry just couldn't help myself.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

@sestoppelman
As good as the 338-06 is it still ain't no Whelen. It's 200 fps slower than the Whelen.
Sorry just couldn't help myself.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
Back then I rarely ventured beyond book type loads and I suspect I could come closer than 200 fps today were I to have another go at it.
I dont think it could equal top loads for the Whelen, but would be closer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg