338-06 bullet choice

death-from-above

AH veteran
Reaction score
You guys that shoot the 338-06 ... Anyone load up with barnes bullets? If so, which style bullet, and what weight? I am thinking about loading some tsx in the 210gr. Anyone want to share some load recipes. ?

Cliffy

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
I've shot my 338-06 on 4 of my 5 trips to Africa I have probably tried 40 to 50 different loads since 1999 in it and I always come back to Nosler Partion 225 gr bullets. They shoot the most accurate out of my barrel and perform outstandingly on game animals. Accubonds at 225 gr are second. I can't get ANY Barnes bullets to shoot accurately with my rifle. Tried 5 or 6 different ones. Not knocking them, just can't get them to shoot in this rifle. Now, I may have too long a throat in it so I'm going to do some more work on seating depth this year to see if that makes any difference. Love my Thumper!

elmerfudd555

AH senior member
Reaction score
210 TTSX shoot great in mine. Ditto the 185s. Did not take this rifle to Africa, I purpose built it for shooting hogs and black bear but I have used it on two elk, a cow last year and a bull this year, in both cases one shot took care of things and neither animal ran away. Complete pass throughs at 100-150 yds. Shoulders broken in both cases. Really like RL 15 powder in this cartridge

death-from-above

AH veteran
Reaction score
Thanks. I will pencil that down. My rifle should be done by spring thaw. I will more than likely take it to Zimbabwe in July as long as I get a proper load worked up.
210 TTSX shoot great in mine. Ditto the 185s. Did not take this rifle to Africa, I purpose built it for shooting hogs and black bear but I have used it on two elk, a cow last year and a bull this year, in both cases one shot took care of things and neither animal ran away. Complete pass throughs at 100-150 yds. Shoulders broken in both cases. Really like RL 15 powder in this cartridge

Cliffy

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
Zimbabwe is where I took mine the first time. It worked great. Find a good load and the cartridge will do the job Keep us posted
I used Rl15 then and I'm playing with RL 17 next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HockTitne

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?