.318 Westley Richards Project gun ideas

Bruce Moulds, one of the best features about AH is that we can respectfully disagree with one another on occasion. This is one of them. The Swedish Government required that all Swedish Mausers be made using Swedish steel. Why is that point important? It is because Swedish steel contained Chromium and Manganese which other steels of the day did not. That is why The Swedes are as strong as they are. I agree with the cock on closing and the longer lock time. However Dayton Traister offers /offered a modification to the bolt that changes it to cock on opening with a shorter lock time. The lock time issue is milliseconds and I don't think most shooters would be able to notice the difference. Regarding the less failure backup you mentioned. Have you ever seen an actual Swedish Mauser action fail? I don't think so. I have read articles where Swedish Mauser actions are used on factory test barrels for up to 81,000 PSI (Norma) and of another attempt to determine just how much pressure it would take. The Swede's action withstood 110,000 PSI but failed at 120,000. Like you I'm not sure I'd want to build a "super boomer" on a Swedish Mauser action, but they are plenty tough for other calibers in their size range. Kimber used them for years but I don't know what was the largest caliber they used it on.

I think you can tell I'm a FAN, but I'm perfectly aware that others are not. I just have to work harder to convince them.:rolleyes::rolleyes:;);)

Good discussion on conversions and using actions for builds of desire :)
I really like the 318 WR category ballistically. IMO, It's just right for most everything from deer through elk and moose up to but not including eland (or the brown bears in NA) where the 375 HH or larger should take over. My opinion is based on experience with it's ballistic twin, the 338-06. Like others have posted, probably best to start with a good, more user/gunsmith friendly action and build on that. Good luck with the project!

Bruce Moulds, one of the best features about AH is that we can respectfully disagree with one another on occasion. This is one of them. The Swedish Government required that all Swedish Mausers be made using Swedish steel. Why is that point important? It is because Swedish steel contained Chromium and Manganese which other steels of the day did not. That is why The Swedes are as strong as they are. I agree with the cock on closing and the longer lock time. However Dayton Traister offers /offered a modification to the bolt that changes it to cock on opening with a shorter lock time. The lock time issue is milliseconds and I don't think most shooters would be able to notice the difference. Regarding the less failure backup you mentioned. Have you ever seen an actual Swedish Mauser action fail? I don't think so. I have read articles where Swedish Mauser actions are used on factory test barrels for up to 81,000 PSI (Norma) and of another attempt to determine just how much pressure it would take. The Swede's action withstood 110,000 PSI but failed at 120,000. Like you I'm not sure I'd want to build a "super boomer" on a Swedish Mauser action, but they are plenty tough for other calibers in their size range. Kimber used them for years but I don't know what was the largest caliber they used it on.

I think you can tell I'm a FAN, but I'm perfectly aware that others are not. I just have to work harder to convince them.:rolleyes::rolleyes:;);)

shootist43,
you are right we can disagree.
it is part of being civilized.
I would take a 96 over a lee enfield or a krag for most things.
bruce.

The biggest issue with a m96 is when something goes wrong; all gasses, powder residues an brass will come straight in the shooters face and eye. I have seen this happen and it wasn't pretty.. this issue is the reason Paul Mauser introduced the gas shield flange on the m98. There is/was a Bubba gunsmithsite where they actually made this flange and welded it to a m96.
All the Swedish Mauser's are beautiful, even the bad ones are better machined and fitted then the best millitary m98k.
If you find one in 30-06 marked Stiga, do the world a favour and have it destroyed, they are made of factory rejects modified to fit a to long cartridge.

Perhaps of interest to many of you fine gentlemen ... I found this advertisement on the internet . It appears to be quite old .
Screenshot_20200223-164713_01.png

Now , l am drooling .

The biggest issue with a m96 is when something goes wrong; all gasses, powder residues an brass will come straight in the shooters face and eye. I have seen this happen and it wasn't pretty.. this issue is the reason Paul Mauser introduced the gas shield flange on the m98. There is/was a Bubba gunsmithsite where they actually made this flange and welded it to a m96.
All the Swedish Mauser's are beautiful, even the bad ones are better machined and fitted then the best millitary m98k.
If you find one in 30-06 marked Stiga, do the world a favour and have it destroyed, they are made of factory rejects modified to fit a to long cartridge.

that is what I meant by failure backup.
bruce.

GuttormG, if there is a "failure" such as the one you described, the outcome would be as you said. No question. Have you ever seen or heard of such a failure on a 1896 Swedish Mauser?

Yes, I have witnesed one of my best friends get his right eye damaged this way.

GuttormG, just to confirm, the gun that had the failure was an 1896 Swedish Mauser. Esrlier 6.5 x 55(s) i.e. the Craig Jorgensen(s) and the 1893(s) were not as robust as the 1896(s).

Yes, it was a swedish m96. Very sure as it was my gun. Carl Gustaf 1911. I have had several swedish mausers, m96 , m96-38 and m38. And a couple of sportens, including one with the "strengthened" m38 action.

Krag-Jørgensen is a totally different beast and hurt the shooter om a different manner egen they fail (hand and forehead..).

@Thomas Murray hey mate,

Was never a chance of this being a .318 WR unfortunately, however:

How did you confirm .303?

I’m wondering if it could actually be a 8x50mmR. Sporters were made in this caliber for India (and I believe still are).

@Thomas Murray hey mate,

I’m wondering if it could actually be a 8x50mmR. Sporters were made in this caliber for India (and I believe still are).
That is correct . They are called the “ Indian Ordinance Factories .315 Bore sporting Rifle “ and their quality is beastly ... Just like every thing else made by Indians .
5EE40478-84DB-45FA-AD58-7A89475A208D.jpeg

@Thomas Murray hey mate,

no not really mate, a .303 projectile fits in the end of the bore pretty well, and a .303 fits in the chamber pretty nicely as well... think it was just a classic stitch up, iv yet to fire it or do anything much other then pull it to bits...
is there an easy way to cast the chamber at home?

looking into getting a mauser98 project too build a nice .318 atm priced up a barrel and chambering today.
Jjust picked up a .404 jeffery on brno action which is wrapped with, yet too shoot it as we are locked down due to covid 19 in victoria atm.

I had my gunsmith build me a beautifull 338-06 on a mauser 98 action
and loaded with 250 grs bullet and its a real killer and accurate the barrel blank
was a SHILEN 24'' medium contour .
I figuered that the diff bewteen .330-.338 bullet diameter is close to the original and easier
to purcahse bullets and loading components .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg