308 Winchester Caliber Opinions...

Nothing wrong with the 308. I think the 30-06 is a little more versatile because of more case capacity and handles heavier bullets better IMO. Some of the tightest groups I ever shot @100 were with a 308. The rifle was a good platform for accuracy testing of loads and bullets. One thing I noticed from the beginning was no matter the load or bullet type, my 308 did not shoot 165, 168 or 180s anywhere near as well as 150/155s. Kind of similar to the way my 270 never shot 150s nearly as well as 130s. Also as would be expected, the monolithics have consistently needed to be one increment of weight less (for length equivalency) to be as accurate as the more conventional cup and core types.

Last edited:
Some of the tightest groups I ever shot @100 were with a 308.
Schussbild .308.JPG

vice versa
5-or 6 rounds
not the only one
.308 is great

Beauty is the eye of the beholder, but I think that rifle is sweet looking. How does she shoot?
The rifle shoots, even sometimes manages to hit.

IMG-20201206-WA0008.jpg

But back to the cartridge: this cartridge is close to optimal. There is a legend that Leonid Brezhnev (and he was an avid hunter and lover of weapons) liked this cartridge so much that he ordered it to be repeated. In any case, the Russian version of the 308 was produced since 1974 and was included in the state standard.
15647.jpg

Quite a few models of hunting weapons were produced under this cartridge.

By the way, it is close to the size of a Russian cartridge, and it can even shoot from a Mosin rifle, but you will have to knock out the casings with a ramrod.

How a rifle shoots... This is a big question. Many years ago, I dreamed of a very accurate rifle, like most shooters. So I bought my "Vepr" in a sporty version, with a thick, massive barrel. She really turned out to be accurate. But I was not going to shoot marmots from a kilometer away, and in general, shooting at long distances is rare for me. Weapons must meet local conditions. I read an article of one PH, who compared the requirements for weapons for hunting in Zimbabwe and in South Africa, in the Bush and in the savanna. In the conditions in which I hunt, a light semi-automatic rifle is desirable, which is easy to shoot offhand, "agile". And most importantly - reliable. The worst thing about a group hunt is when your bad shot ruins the hunt for the whole team. And I have seen cases when the weapon jammed and the wounded boar left without a second shot. Along with the license. My "Vepr" is heavy, I was thinking of changing it to Bar-2 or Tigr-308 (this is a civilian SVD), but... habit, and most importantly, she didn't let me down. Once I had to shoot 4 times in uncomfortable conditions, when a neighbor on the shooting line for some reason did not shoot at a moose walking next to him. And I only hit the spot with the fourth shot. If I had a bolt, I probably wouldn't have made it. And the accuracy of shots, alas, is determined on the hunt mainly by the shooter, not the rifle.

How a rifle shoots... This is a big question. Many years ago, I dreamed of a very accurate rifle, like most shooters. So I bought my "Vepr" in a sporty version, with a thick, massive barrel. She really turned out to be accurate. But I was not going to shoot marmots from a kilometer away, and in general, shooting at long distances is rare for me. Weapons must meet local conditions. I read an article of one PH, who compared the requirements for weapons for hunting in Zimbabwe and in South Africa, in the Bush and in the savanna. In the conditions in which I hunt, a light semi-automatic rifle is desirable, which is easy to shoot offhand, "agile". And most importantly - reliable. The worst thing about a group hunt is when your bad shot ruins the hunt for the whole team. And I have seen cases when the weapon jammed and the wounded boar left without a second shot. Along with the license. My "Vepr" is heavy, I was thinking of changing it to Bar-2 or Tigr-308 (this is a civilian SVD), but... habit, and most importantly, she didn't let me down. Once I had to shoot 4 times in uncomfortable conditions, when a neighbor on the shooting line for some reason did not shoot at a moose walking next to him. And I only hit the spot with the fourth shot. If I had a bolt, I probably wouldn't have made it. And the accuracy of shots, alas, is determined on the hunt mainly by the shooter, not the rifle.
reiability, my friend, there are the matter!!!
The most important thing in a hunting rifle!
Accuracy, aaaah....!! The accuracy are overestimated... All the rifles are accurate
But reliable?... In any conditions' any country' any weather?... aaah... that´s the matter...

My 308s have killed 3 black bears, and 3 caribou so far. I don't believe these kills were any slower then kills kills with a 358 Winchester, 338 Federal or 375 Ruger.

I have been tempted to try my 308 on a grizzly but never quit do it. I do have a hot load pushing a 200 gr Partition at 2470 fps. Damage in a smaller black bear was massive. I'm pretty sure it could work just a bit risky. My friend did shoot a charging grizzly with a 308 and a 178 gr ELDX. It was a bit of an emergency though. His 300 Weatherby was damaged and he used what he had.

P1110654.JPG

received_258706645415396.jpeg

The 308 Winchester is no doubt a very capable cartridge and deservingly popular.

I have never had much interest in the 308 Winchester or for that matter .308 cartridges in general. I have used the 30-06 successfully and have a few 300’s. All great rounds, just never had a big interest in them.
But, I do luv shooting an AR-10 in 308. I enjoy that more than the 5.56’s.
This sparked my interest in the 308. And I ran across a M70 classic stainless/walnut in 308 that I will pick up in a couple of days. I look forward to getting it to the range.

Picked up that 308 today. Did not pay much attention to it when I made the deal, other than it was a New Haven M70 Classic stainless with a Walnut stock.
It was better than I recalled. It is an earlier Classic production with 5 digit serial and is an actual Featherweight Model.
Pretty happy with it. Hope to find a 150 to 168 grain monolithic that it likes.

I have been using 178 grain Hornady ELDx Precision Hunter with really good groupings and it is a hammer on white tails and hogs.

I have just been using the factory Hornady load. I have heard the same on this bullet but no issues so far, numerous pigs and maybe six whitetail from 40 to 150 yards none more than 40 yard burst, 3 were just dirt naps. Shoot in a S&W MP AR10 with 5R rifling. Was not a fan till I got one but like it now and my daughter shoots lights out with it.
8FEE4B68-2278-444A-A7AA-416178FE58A2.jpeg

I have just been using the factory Hornady load. I have heard the same on this bullet but no issues so far, numerous pigs and maybe six whitetail from 40 to 150 yards none more than 40 yard burst, 3 were just dirt naps. Shoot in a S&W MP AR10 with 5R rifling. Was not a fan till I got one but like it now and my daughter shoots lights out with it.
View attachment 384593
Nice buck!!!

Apparently I am appreciating the 308 more.
I am in the process of buying one of the stainless Ruger scout rifles with 18.7” barrelI, flash suppressor, detachable magazine, and laminated stock. I have not measured it, but assuming the flash suppressor adds another 1.5” or so to overall length.
I don’t consider this a “pretty rifle” by any stretch of the imagination. But it is relatively short and handy. The flash suppressor to me is a good barrel crown protector.
Not my choice of cartridge to tangle with an up close grizzly. But, lesser have worked. This is more intended for a winter companion and general fun gun.
I think that I will be going to 150 grain monolithics for all my 308’s. Component simplification and should stabilize without issue in the 1-12” twist of the Winchester M70.
I am pondering putting a Kahles 1.1-4x24 on this one. But, undecided.

I love the Ruger scout rifle. I changed the laminated stock on mine for a plastic stock. It's a bit light but also it just feels better. I got a 3 round mag for hunting with a 5 round mag and the 10 rounder for extra ammo.
The plastic stock seemed to improve accuracy a bit once I stiffed it up by pouring glass bedding in the hollow in front of the magazine.

I love the Ruger scout rifle. I changed the laminated stock on mine for a plastic stock. It's a bit light but also it just feels better. I got a 3 round mag for hunting with a 5 round mag and the 10 rounder for extra ammo.
The plastic stock seemed to improve accuracy a bit once I stiffed it up by pouring glass bedding in the hollow in front of the magazine.
Definitely seems like a handy little rifle.

@Vashper
Great photo with that moose! Congrats!!!!

Question:
maybe not a topic on this subject, but I am quite interested:
What rifles are commonly used in Russia for big game hunting, for average hunter?
And what calibers are most commonly by Russian hunters?

Generally speaking, different cartridges are used, although there are much fewer rifles in Russia than shotguns, so the market is quite narrow. The 308 and 7.62x54R calibers are ahead by a large margin, because there are a lot of weapons in these calibers, and cartridges are produced. (I do not know if references to gun and ammo manufacturers are allowed here?). 30-06 is quite popular, for the same reasons, but, according to inquiries, especially after the approval of the reload, average hunters began to switch from 30-06 to 308. It turns out cheaper, and the effect is almost the same.
Of those calibers, cartridges for which are not yet produced in Russia, more often you can find 9,3x62, 300 Winmag and 338 Winmag. It also comes across 8x68. Russia is also an oasis of the 9.3x64 cartridge,but it is not often found, it is considered redundant. The usual rifle cartridge for a Kalashnikov is very common, it is constantly banned for hunting elk-boar, but they continue to hunt with it - there are a lot of weapons for it.
Well, those hunters who have the opportunity to go to Africa and shoot white rhinos there - well, they can have anything at all.

Picked up the stainless / laminated 18.7”. Now to find some 3 and 5 round magazines.
I am no fan of the looks of the adjustable length of pull stocks on this rifle or the Guide rifles. I do see their purpose and practical use. But, butt ugly to me the shape of the butt.
I think this is a handy little rifle. The 18.7” is about 20.5” with flash suppressor. My view of the flash suppressor is it’s main purpose is to provide protection to the barrel crown.
I think I will like this rifle. Though, definitely have to buy some 3 and 5 round magazines for use.

You can get a light thread protector and ditch the flash hider. But its tight, I took mine to a gunsmith.

You can get a light thread protector and ditch the flash hider. But its tight, I took mine to a gunsmith.
I will probably leave as is. Handy to stack muzzle down. But it definitely could be shorter. Will see, once I have the opportunity to use the rifle some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smithcaterine92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg