.308 Win vs .260 Rem/6.5 Creedmoor

Put any effective round in a gun and go hunting!!

@Forrest Halley
No offence mate It just seems like Every American has a .30-06 or learner to shoot with one .

For many years Australian s used surplus .303 rifles and ammunition as returned servicemen or from military surplus, the .303 cartridge was wildcatted to form a few variants. The most common may be the .303-25 often called the 30-25

Yes the .303 was used in both world wars before later adopting the .7.62 NATO round and rifles/machine guns chambered to suit (Lithgow L1A1 SLR/M60 machine gun). Those would have been on the Korean and Vietnam wars before adopting the Austeyr in .5.56nato for the troops.

There might be an old bloke here who can elaborate on the .303 etc

Not knocking the .30-06 Its here, it's used by hunters but it's not that common. The .308 is widely used.
@CBH Australia
If'n my dad was still alive he would bitch slap you into next week. The good ol 303 was the primary battle rifle for Australia and the commonwealth forces in Korea.
My dad was in a battle where the old SMLEs were that hot the woodwork was smoking. To cure the problem they threw their rifles into an icy river and kept shooting. Despite what one American said the SMLEs were the best battle rifles ever devised.
Out the Hill it might have been called the 30-25 but every where else it was called the three oh 25.
The L1A1 SLR was adopted in 1957 by the Australian military forces. The cartridge was originally designated the experimental T65 that was to become the 7.62x51 NATO round. A lot of other countries wanted to adopt a 7mm round but the USA being a major player said it had to be a 30 cal or they would leave NATO. Hence the adoption of the 7.62x51.
The old three oh 25 was the equivalent of the 250 Savage and at the time it was bloody near impossible to get overseas firearms. With the advent of more rifles being imported into Oz like the 222 rem and that pissant 243 it spelt the beginning of the end for my beloved 25.
Bob

See, I said an old bloke would know the history.

I'm not knocking the .303 Bob, it's why I grew up speaking English and not Japanese. It's before my time but.

We say Three, Oh 25, didn't write it right.

There woulda been tons of them.

Bloody, Three "0's" (original .303 SMLE Fullwood rifles) are getting expensive now.

See, I said an old bloke would know the history.

I'm not knocking the .303 Bob, it's why I grew up speaking English and not Japanese. It's before my time but.

We say Three, Oh 25, didn't write it right.

There woulda been tons of them.

Bloody, Three "0's" (original .303 SMLE Fullwood rifles) are getting expensive now.
@CBH Australia
Your not wrong Narelle full woods with matching numbers are even more expensive.
Yes I am happy to be speaking English as well but I also love Japanese food.
Hopefully history won't repeat itself but the way the world is going I have my doubts.
Bob

Now it's the Wu Flu taking over while they sell us paper masks.

Sneaky little buggers are getting smarter.

I think China should be paying compensation not profiting from this.

I'm not saying conspiracy just they probably new something was wrong and could have warned the whole F@&king entire world sooner if they had an exotic disease out break.

In America the .30/06 was pretty much our default caliber for a long time and I suspect it still is if you are talking hunting. 5.56/.223 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor and 7.62x51/.308 Winchester all outsell it now but that's likely more shooting sports driven.

To be honest if I'm going to shoot a .30 and use 180 grain cup & core bullets the .30/06 is still my favorite because it handles that weight much better (in my opinion) than the .308 Win without the recoil of the .300 mags. The .308 is at it's beat with the 150 gr TTSX or 165 gr Partition (or equivalent) in my opinion.

But then I'm the kind of guy that thinks 550 grain at 2275 fps out of a .50/110 in a modern built 1886 Winchester lever gun could still be useful in Africa so what do I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois