.308 Win vs .260 Rem/6.5 Creedmoor

I think the .243 has its place for 100 kilo game animals. I have an acquaintance that has killed over 200 whitetail deer out to 250 meters with one and never lost an animal. Most are just bang-flop (High Shoulder Shot) My problem is with people that insist on taking shots from a bad angle or on 300 kilo animals. It's simply the wrong tool for that application.

Personally I’m not a fan of the 243, but my oldest brother has taken over 100 whitetail with the 243. And an awful lot of those were bang flops also. The cartridge just isn’t for me though. I tend to move toward the oddball rounds lol.

Personally I’m not a fan of the 243, but my oldest brother has taken over 100 whitetail with the 243. And an awful lot of those were bang flops also. The cartridge just isn’t for me though. I tend to move toward the oddball rounds lol.
@Cleveland48
I don't like the 243 either. The deer probably died laughing when the heard the bang knowing it wouldn't worry them.
What type of oddballs do you like.
Bob.

@Cleveland48
I don't like the 243 either. The deer probably died laughing when the heard the bang knowing it wouldn't worry them.
Bob.
Really, you don't like the .243?

Oddballs, Yeah they are out there.

Really there are only 2 calibres for general hunting right?

@Cleveland48 I believe you. The .243 is not all bad, it is used in Australia, apparently it has numerous uses including Tomato stakes right,

I bought a 6.5x55 as my first hunting rifle a couple of years ago, it has ever since served me great. But getting to bigger game the 30cal rifles will be a better call for sure. There is a definite difference in recoil which may be the only actual real life advantage of 6.5s here in a hunting scenario. I have bought a couple of 30cal rifles in the meantime for different intended purposes. I still shoot 6.5x55 the most (medium game) and now my son (8 y.o) has started hunting with it as well. Howa is a good option, I have 1 and dropped it in a Boyds stock. I have hunted a variety of game with my Swede and definitely not bashing it, still my favorite caliber. Photo of Bluewildebees hunted with 140gr Gamekings @ 2700fps

IMG-20200703-WA0021.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Cleveland48
Bob.

Hey Bob, what I consider oddballs Is based on my area in Northeast Mississippi lol. So they are actually very popular in other parts of the world. Mine would be the 6.5x55, 275 Rigby, 9.3x62, 416 Taylor, and 416 Remington. Have also used the 35 Whelen, but it’s super popular here now. Mississippi made their primitive weapon laws to include any single shot break open rifle with a hammer in 35 caliber up legal for muzzleloader hunting. So the 35 Whelen surged in popularity here along with 45/70 and 444 Remington. I’m just drawn to rounds where nobody local ask to borrow ammunition from me

@Cleveland48 I believe you. The .243 is not all bad, it is used in Australia, apparently it has numerous uses including Tomato stakes right,

Yeah brother has had tremendous success with his little 243 so I can’t knock it, but it’s just not for me either. He keeps going back to it even though he has a large collection of other calibers.

What were those two calibers again? I seem to have forgotten. .460 Wby and 6.5 CM?
Mississippi made their primitive weapon laws to include any single shot break open rifle with a hammer in 35 caliber up legal for muzzleloader hunting. So the 35 Whelen surged in popularity here along with 45/70 and 444 Remington. I’m just drawn to rounds where nobody local ask to borrow ammunition from me
That is a very cool rule where the break actions get to go play. I have more respect for that than a 209 primer and a sabot VLD boat tail atop 200 grains of pyrodex.
I too am all about not being bugged for ammunition. Bring your own!

Thank everyone for the answers!
I have been to my Local GS and have decided on the trusty .308. There is a bit of a shortage of ammo, but it should be enough until I intend to start handloading next year.
The ammo which is available in .308 at the moment, will be
Remington Core-Lokt
Hornady Custom International InterLock (and their match ammo)
Sako Super-Hammerhead
There might be Norma Oryx for the .308 available there in the future (currently only .270 and a few others)

Thank everyone for the answers!
I have been to my Local GS and have decided on the trusty .308. There is a bit of a shortage of ammo, but it should be enough until I intend to start handloading next year.
The ammo which is available in .308 at the moment, will be
Remington Core-Lokt
Hornady Custom International InterLock (and their match ammo)
Sako Super-Hammerhead
There might be Norma Oryx for the .308 available there in the future (currently only .270 and a few others)
@MerKuryM8
My son used his 308 loaded with 150gn accubonds at 2,900fps to great effect in Namibia.
Bob

I read the first 2 or 3 pages and then skipped to the end. It was getting repetitious. Forgive me if this has already been said. A lot of comments suggested a 308 is a great choice for a first rifle. The only part about that I slightly disagree with is a 308 is a great choice not only for your first rifle but also as your only, primary or backup rifle. There is no downside to 308. It's accurate, deadly, efficient, chambered in almost every variant of rifle and ammo is available almost anywhere. The one and only knock on 308 is it isn't 30-06 and, therefore, 308 is the second best all around caliber. It's still a fantastic choice though.

I read the first 2 or 3 pages and then skipped to the end. It was getting repetitious. Forgive me if this has already been said. A lot of comments suggested a 308 is a great choice for a first rifle. The only part about that I slightly disagree with is a 308 is a great choice not only for your first rifle but also as your only, primary or backup rifle. There is no downside to 308. It's accurate, deadly, efficient, chambered in almost every variant of rifle and ammo is available almost anywhere. The one and only knock on 308 is it isn't 30-06 and, therefore, 308 is the second best all around caliber. It's still a fantastic choice though.
Yup, but only problem is that it's not a short action as required by the op

@Bonk fair enough, guessing you are American, from here it seems like Americans have a love affair for the .30-06 and probably with good reason so not debating it.

The .308 is user friendly and pretty well spread now making for versatile, affordable and effective.

@Forrest Halley

Yeah, doesn't matter really as once the OP made the right choice

I've owned a few .308 as sporters and probably always will.

@MerKuryM8
I would try the Sako ammo, might be good brass to save for reloading and I suspect they will be loading ammo intended for use on Moose or whatever they have, this might be good for Kudu and will certainly stop Pumba.

If it were me I would try get a deal on a case of 200 rounds. It should be ok but if your rifle turns out picky you can probably resell it.

Last edited:
@Bonk fair enough, guessing you are American, from here it seems like Americans have a love affair for the .30-06 and probably with good reason so not debating it.

The .308 is user friendly and pretty well spread now making for versatile, affordable and effective.

@Forrest Halley

Yeah, doesn't matter really as once the OP made the right choice

I've owned a few .308 as sporters and probably always will.

@MerKuryM8
I would try the Sako ammo, might be good brass to save for reloading and I suspect they will be loading ammo intended for use on Moose or whatever they have, this might be good for Kudu and will certainly stop Pumba.

If it were me I would try get a deal on a case of 200 rounds. It should be ok but if your rifle turns out picky you can probably resell it.
Well the .30-06 and .308 are both American creations. We love it because it saved us and likely you in two world wars.

It was not the particular choice that the OP made , but rather than he had made a choice and was then summarily second-guessed by one of the most basic endlessly circular debates.

I use whatever boxer primed brass I can get my hands on for hunting ammo. This isn't rocket science. It's reloading the three-zero-eight. It is an easy caliber to load for.

@Forrest Halley
No offence mate It just seems like Every American has a .30-06 or learner to shoot with one .

For many years Australian s used surplus .303 rifles and ammunition as returned servicemen or from military surplus, the .303 cartridge was wildcatted to form a few variants. The most common may be the .303-25 often called the 30-25

Yes the .303 was used in both world wars before later adopting the .7.62 NATO round and rifles/machine guns chambered to suit (Lithgow L1A1 SLR/M60 machine gun). Those would have been on the Korean and Vietnam wars before adopting the Austeyr in .5.56nato for the troops.

There might be an old bloke here who can elaborate on the .303 etc

Not knocking the .30-06 Its here, it's used by hunters but it's not that common. The .308 is widely used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg