308 win Federal fusion 180gr

@TOBY458 can you mention the distances you shot your two deer with Fusions? I have a hunting bud handloading those 150 grain bullets in his 308 Winchester and 30/06 but hasn't hunted with them yet. Just curious.
I'm shocked you've had that happen. The fusion is a plated, bonded bullet type and what you're describing sounds more like a ballistic tip or a cup & core style bullet impacting bone.

Wow!!! I’m really shocked at these testimonials and pics. I’ve been shooting the fusion in 7mm08 (140 grain) and 300 wsm (180 grain) for years and years. I’ve never had one fail to penetrate or expand. The results with 180 grain fusions from the WSM has been devasting on whitetails. You can see the amount of lung blood on the ground behind this buck. He was DRT.
B996E986-2A79-4E6E-8071-2C4C8B93B363.jpeg

Wow!!! I’m really shocked at these testimonials and pics. I’ve been shooting the fusion in 7mm08 (140 grain) and 300 wsm (180 grain) for years and years. I’ve never had one fail to penetrate or expand. The results with 180 grain fusions from the WSM has been devasting on whitetails. You can see the amount of lung blood on the ground behind this buck. He was DRT.
View attachment 440373
Nice buck! I'm the guy who posted the pic of the non-expanded Fusion and like I said, it was the only Fusion bullet that "failed" on me. I used the rest of the box until they were gone and one of the animals I shot with them was a very large bull moose. Bullets worked very well and he only ran 40 yards before he tipped over backwards. I would likely still use them, but stocked up on different calibers of Hornady American Whitetail ammo. Been quite happy with that stuff.

Nice buck! I'm the guy who posted the pic of the non-expanded Fusion and like I said, it was the only Fusion bullet that "failed" on me. I used the rest of the box until they were gone and one of the animals I shot with them was a very large bull moose. Bullets worked very well and he only ran 40 yards before he tipped over backwards. I would likely still use them, but stocked up on different calibers of Hornady American Whitetail ammo. Been quite happy with that stuff.
Thanks! Saw this buck in the yard while outing coffee… waited til he walked off, I circled and shot him.

Glad to hear they worked well after that. Especially on moose!
I’ve stocked up as well and have bullets for grand kids lol

My buddy uses the Fusion 180gr in his .308 as they are the most accurate factory load he has found.
He is even trying to duplicate them with handloads now.

No problems with numerous Kudu, Wildebeest and Zebra taken with this load.

we have been using fusions for years always have worked well for us. big Wisconsin whitetails always on the backside of the hide.

I've shot a dozen or so whitetail and mule deer with the 150 grain version of that bullet fired from my .308 rifle. Every shot was exactly what I expected. Deer died quickly. About half the bullets exited, and of the of the bullets recovered, about half of the bullet weight remained after expanding wide and fragmenting the core almost down to the cannelure. Never observed a jacket separation. I'd use the 180 grain fusion in a .308 for elk or moose or most African antelope with reasonable confidence, but prefer stronger construction bullets for such bigger game. As a rule, Federal ammunition has been consistently accurate in several of my rifles.

Federal Powershok was nearly always my first rifle break-in ammo due to cost and in general, consistent for decent accuracy.
The 90 grain Fusion/Gold Dot has been the most accurate load in my PSA AR-15 rifle in 6.8 SPC II. Fairly destructive on possum and raccoons. I've shot a single large feral boar hog but farther back than I should have, not recovered until the next morning. No deer yet.

My son used these 140 grain in 7mm08. Lost a lot of meat due to blood shot jellied.
DCBBD4BA-4AB4-42F6-93EA-699D26840EEB.jpeg

I've shot a dozen or so whitetail and mule deer with the 150 grain version of that bullet fired from my .308 rifle. Every shot was exactly what I expected. Deer died quickly. About half the bullets exited, and of the of the bullets recovered, about half of the bullet weight remained after expanding wide and fragmenting the core almost down to the cannelure. Never observed a jacket separation. I'd use the 180 grain fusion in a .308 for elk or moose or most African antelope with reasonable confidence, but prefer stronger construction bullets for such bigger game. As a rule, Federal ammunition has been consistently accurate in several of my rifles.
I think you'll find the 180s hold up better, even on bigger game. Federal's published velocity for that bullet is 2600, but that's probably out of a 24" or 26" barrel, not a hunting barrel; so probably closer to 2500 fps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross