Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Seeing how I can't leave well enough alone I had to work up some 180gr A-Frame loads for my son's .308. I haven't ordered any of the North Forks in this weight yet but had some A-Frames on the bench.

I worked up 43.5, 44, 44.5 and 45gr of RL15. The Swift manual puts 45gr as max. I had some 165gr North Forks loaded up also and shot those first to see if that load would repeat, it did. It shot a rougly 0.75" group as it has now several times.

I then shot the 43.5gr load for the A-Frames at the same bullseye. Those three shots scattered within the 3 previous shots of the North Forks! No change in the scope setting, same POI.

The 44gr and 45gr loads in the A-Frame, same results basically. I had a flier in the 44.5gr load that threw that group out to 1.25". Shooter error or maybe just a harmonic at that weight? Not sure.

I seated the A-Frames to be able to crimp at the cannelure of the bullet using a Lee Factory Crimp Die. This puts the COAL well under max. I was a bit concerned about pressure because of this. But no sticky bolts or other signs on the brass.

Try Varget..or IMR 4895, groups may tighten up, not the fastest loads, but normally these are very accurate powders for the 308. Around 2500 to 2600 fps, go to the low range of speed and your groups should tighten up..a very accurate and forgiving caliber.

I would use the 165-150 gr bullets in the 308win to get a flatter shooting load with better expansion. The 165gr Swift A-Frame bullets are excellent
RL15 is a good powder as is Win748 in the 308win.

Forget slower loads. Get as fast a load as you can with good accuracy. The extra 1/4" accuracy is a bad trade-off for loss of speed.
I have yet to have a shooting bench in place when I hunted to be able to realize the extra tiny amount of accuracy given by a slow load.

This is what I have learned over many years and 100's of animals cleanly taken.

I agree. I think 150-165 grain bullets are perfect for the 308 win.
When using mono-metal bullets, I think 130-150 grain is the best.

I normally shoot 168gr Sierra Match Bullets with a dose of Win 748 out of my M1A and my Savage bolt with tremendous Accuracy,,I'm going to use a shorter barrel 308 when I do My Plains Game Hunt and loads some Barnes XXX I,m going to step the powder charge up from 40G to 42G for a Little more umph out of the shorter barrel,,do I have anything to gain or lose by loading a lighter bullet beside speed

When it comes to the long Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets, you can get stability problems in a 308 with the heavier bullets.
Specially in a shorter barrel.
So 130-150 grain is better when it comes to mono-metal bullets.
You will also get less recoil, but that doesn't matter much for most in a 308.
Since the Barnes bullets are long for their weight, they have high bc and the combination of high speeds and high BC give you a flat shooting bullet that keeps it downrange energy well and normally they have 98-99% retained weight.

My personal choice for my 308 that has a very short barrel(16") and a silencer, is the 130 grain Barnes TTSX.

When it comes to the long Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets, you can get stability problems in a 308 with the heavier bullets.
Specially in a shorter barrel.
So 130-150 grain is better when it comes to mono-metal bullets.
You will also get less recoil, but that doesn't matter much for most in a 308.
Since the Barnes bullets are long for their weight, they have high bc and the combination of high speeds and high BC give you a flat shooting bullet that keeps it downrange energy well and normally they have 98-99% retained weight.

My personal choice for my 308 that has a very short barrel(16") and a silencer, is the 130 grain Barnes TTSX.
Interesting,,I'm probablly going to experiment with a Lighter load and see what groups better

Phil,

As long as your son can handle the recoil, I think (with the groups you mentioned) you have a great shooting rifle with a variety of loads, regardless of bullet weight. Personally I am a fan of the 165 and 168gr. but, that's a different topic all together. If the 180's group as well as you are stating, the bullets have proven themselves time and time again. I wish you and your son the best, and hopefully he can keep the groups as tight as you.

Wow, not everyday one of my threads that is this old gets attention. The hunting load for Austin's .308 was a 165gr North Fork with Varget behind it. It is funny how things change so quickly. Just got in from this evening's baseball game.

The boy I was all worried about handling recoil was standing on third after a hit and getting moved around. He's standing as tall as his 3rd base coach now, ready he says to start touching off my .375.....and I don't doubt it.

"MY" 375? NO "HIS" 375

What you gain from lighter Barnes bullets is better expansion due to faster speeds that are required for them to preform best. Also use the TTSX and not the TSX for better expansion.
You also gain flatter trajectory which is always a good thing.
The barnes are long for their weight(due to copper and not lead which is heavier) and if you get too heavy they can have stabilization problems

Well a Range trip with the new 308 turned out to be a learning experience, I tried some 150 and some 168 Barnes,, I really wasn't crazy about the 150s, the wind played hell with them at 200 yds, the 168 are more stable ,,I loaded up some Sierra 165 Gamekings with 42G of 748 I'm a huge Sierra Fan and basically use them target shooting,,in retrospect I should have stayed with my cheapo Savage with the 22" barrel never had a rifle shoot that good,,hopefully I'll settle down next range trip ,,,I wonder if I can smuggle a Grenade launcher into SA?

Rob, don't make it hard on yourself. I'm sure you would be able to source one here if you know the right people. :)

Win 748 @ 45.0 in WW cases
165gr Fail Safe
WLR primer
This is my moose load for my 308 Win here in Alaska.

Try Varget..or IMR 4895, groups may tighten up, not the fastest loads, but normally these are very accurate powders for the 308. Around 2500 to 2600 fps, go to the low range of speed and your groups should tighten up..a very accurate and forgiving caliber.

Varget is my go to in 308. From 155s up to 185s

My favorite part is that the op gets on to tell about his success and then the rest of the post is how he SHOULD have done it or what he should have done it with. 35bore got it right

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!