Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 11.35.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 11.35.23 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 149
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 11.35.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 11.35.24 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
Thank you
Just a question , norma oryx and swift scirocco ii are both bonded bullets so the ballistics should be somewhat the same
So can i use the loading data of the norma oryx 180gr

Just an FYI - the 308 cal 180 Scirocco II takes less powder for the same V than the Swift A-Frame per the Swift manual. It varies from 0.5 to 1.5 grains less over several powders for the 308 Winchester.

For my 30-06, I worked up loads for both the 180 Scirocco and the 180 A-Frames. Both hit accuracy nodes at slightly under max charges of H-4350. And both ran close to the same velocities as well (usinging a Magnetospeed V3).

The Scirocco took 2.1 grains Less powder. (Again this was for an '06 and H4350.)

Start with a low (starting load and work up until you start to develop pressure signs and then back down a grain or two. This is if you’re looking for max velocity. You may find that somewhere in your load development you find a load that produces fantastic accuracy.

Start with a low (starting load and work up until you start to develop pressure signs and then back down a grain or two. This is if you’re looking for max velocity. You may find that somewhere in your load development you find a load that produces fantastic accuracy.

Thank you for the info, was thinking of doing the same. Only thing was the starting load using vihtavuori n550. As it list for norma oryx 180gr starting at 40.0 grain and max load 43.4gr.
So my thinking is that i should be fine starting at 40.0gr and working my way up to about 43.0gr in this range i should be safe ?

Thank you
Just a question , norma oryx and swift scirocco ii are both bonded bullets so the ballistics should be somewhat the same
So can i use the loading data of the norma oryx 180gr
Scirocco II and Oryx are not the same ballistically, not by a pretty wide margin.

Scirocco II is a high BC bullet at 0.520, Orxy is down in the low 0.3s as I recall. Additionally, Scirocco II has a solid copper jacket; whereas Norma uses gilded metal jackets. They will have different pressure profiles.

Glad sgt_zim jumped in with that! My suggestion is to contact swift directly and ask them for advise or acceptable substitutions.
My complaint with swift has always been the small/common variety of powders they show loads for in their very nice reloading manual. Good folks, always been helpful on the phone when I have contacted them-

modern people seem to want an answer that often cannot be given.
better to have the answer that involves good processand then use it to find out.
only you can do this.
just like in marriage only the wife can carry and give birth to the baby.
there are no shortcuts, and no secrets.
just correct process and do the work.
bruce.

Dear Sir,

Sgt Zim has raised a very valid point the oryx is about 6mm shorter than the scirocco and has different characteristics to the swift.
N550 is a good powder, whether its the best choice for this application, there may be some opinion on that. The case fill percentage will be very high.
Start at a sensible level, N550 is a powder that as you get to the top end of the load the pressure can rise very quickly for not much increase in grain. Some sound advice on here above-mentioned.

Rgds

Reviving an old thread.

I've worked up some tack-driving loads for my son's 308 Win using 180 gr Speer Grand Slams, as in 1-hole 5-shot groups at 100 yards. No complaints at all on their utility for white tails and anything else in that class, but at only 2550 fps, they run out of steam by about 250 yards or so and was thinking about working on a different load that might give him another 150 yards.

No specific hunt in mind, but he does live on the other side of the country from me and could have opportunities anywhere.

My thought is either Scirocco II 165 gr or Accubond 165 gr. I should be able to get both of those to 2700 fps, both with BC at .47.

I would not say it is out of steam that load will get you to over 500 yard with 1000ftlb of energy, a Berger 185 hunting VLD will get you close to 700 yards with the same energy.

If you are trying to accomplish better point blank range, I'll suggest 155s. If it is only deer and the like on the menu a 155 will hammer them. In my 308 with a 24" barrel was knocking on the door of 3000fps. It was a stiff load, worked fine in my rifle. Remember we are talking about WT deer they don't take nearly as much.

RL17 and 165 grain A-Frames shoopt well in my 22" Franchi 308 when I worked up a potential hunting load. V= 2,727. It should do well with a 165 Accubond or Partition as well. For some reason I tend to like Partitions over Accubonds. They just seem easier to get to shoot well.

RL17 and 165 grain A-Frames shoopt well in my 22" Franchi 308 when I worked up a potential hunting load. V= 2,727. It should do well with a 165 Accubond or Partition as well. For some reason I tend to like Partitions over Accubonds. They just seem easier to get to shoot well.
I have kill a lot of deer with 168 SMK and 155 Lapua Scenar. Have had accurate loads with RL line of powders, it is just not temp stable. Varget is my go to for 308 from 155s to 185s it just works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross