Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
British Association of Shooting and Conservation
Hunted
England, Scotland, Namibia and Finland
I'm thinking of adding a 308 to my collection; I already have a 7x57 and a 30-06, but would like a short action as well.
I like blued steel and walnut, and initially thought a new Bergara B14 would be a good choice.
After a bit of research on the Internet, I've also found a BRNO 601 (built in 1975) and a CZ 550 Scandinavian. Both are described as in very good condition, and my preference is for a floor plate magazine.
Your views would be appreciated.

I can't speak to the BRNO, but have experience with the CZ and Bergara. Frankly, for the money, I think the Bergara is a better value and a really solid rifle. The action is incredibly smooth, and the trigger is easily adjustable. When you find the weight you like, it is crisp with no creep or over travel. Bergara is known for its barrels and the one I have shoots great. It is lighter than the CZ and requires much less tweaking out-of-the-box to have it run flawlessly. Other than cleaning the barrel and lightening the trigger, I've done nothing to mine and it shoots MOA or better all day long (subject to not getting the thinner-contour barrel over heated).

Good luck with the purchase.

When I was 14 I got a Remington M700 308 Win. That rifle is now over 50 years old, been on more deer and elk hunting trips than I can recall and for the last 30 years has been used in the hands-on and live-fire portion of the hunter education classes that I've taught- involving over 1000 students (at 5 rounds each). I had thinned the stock down and it was broken at the magazine well; replaced stock with a Lee Six synthetic- but otherwise it's as dependable as the day I got it. I read stories that the new Remingtons have poor quality control- and that may be; but I can say that this rifle made in 1962 is a great example for how a rifle should be built and operate.

I used a CZ550 308 with a Mannlicher Stock when I hunted Africa it was light EZ to carry and dead accurate with my 165g Sierra Game Kings. I liked the crf and the magazine feed, the mannlicher stock (cooliness fact0r)might not be for you but CZ makes a pretty nice Rifle

My suggestion is ZKK601.
I use ZKK600 in 275Rigby ( 7 x 57 ).
Witold

I would go with Witold on this and especially if the the ZKK 601 still has its peep sight! The reverse round follower is great, making top ups easier. If it still has the spare trigger that would be a bonus. The stock should also be very stable after all these years but ... to be safe, I recommend removing the butt plate and applying several thinned coats of varnish to the end grain. NB End grain can absorb moisture much faster than the face of the timber.

Enjoy whichever one you choose.

Last edited:
I recently picked up an old savage 99 in .308 .... she needs a little TLC but she sure looks pretty beside her baby sister in .243 .
Glen

I used a CZ550 308 with a Mannlicher Stock when I hunted Africa it was light EZ to carry and dead accurate with my 165g Sierra Game Kings. I liked the crf and the magazine feed, the mannlicher stock (cooliness fact0r)might not be for you but CZ makes a pretty nice Rifle

I agree with @Rob404 that the CZ550 FS (Mannlicher stock) would be a good choice and has the cool factor if you like that look. Another option would be a Ruger M77 MkII RSI, which is Ruger's version with the Mannlicher stock. I think the MkII version of the Ruger is actually better than the current Hawkeye, even though I have more of the latter.

The Winchester M70 in either Featherweight or SuperGrade are very nice rifles too.

I took a CZ550 .308W to Africa a few years ago. Great rifle with all the features I wanted. It did 'gum up' with wind blown dust and wouldn't cycle, where as my son's .243 refurb'd Parker Hale Mauser '98 kept working. Would still recommend it as we were hunting pretty hard (not on a truck). The BRNO 601 is the better built action and perfect for a rebarrel. Later BRNO 601's had a habit of not ejecting, so check that function unless you are going to have it rebuilt.

tikka t3, but already having a 30 06 what would there be the advantage of a 308, except that it is what you want, if so i agree.

I agree that the 308 would largely be a duplication of the 30/06.
Depending on what you are hunting, I would suggest you go bigger with, say, the 338 Winchester magnum.
This cartridge would be a big step up from the 30/06 and would be used for animals like Asian water buffalo, camels, elk, and large African plains game.

I'm thinking of adding a 308 to my collection; I already have a 7x57 and a 30-06, but would like a short action as well.
I like blued steel and walnut, and initially thought a new Bergara B14 would be a good choice.
After a bit of research on the Internet, I've also found a BRNO 601 (built in 1975) and a CZ 550 Scandinavian. Both are described as in very good condition, and my preference is for a floor plate magazine.
Your views would be appreciated.
Why not get a .300 WInchester Short Mag? If you already have 30-06 and 7X57 you may want a bigger gun. This is especially true if you want to hunt Africa.
Regards,
Philip

Last edited by a moderator:
Your 30-06 will do everything the 308 will do, and do it better. You already have 2 calibers that will easily handle plains game.

If you want to mess around with a short action, I would do it in a smaller/faster caliber like 6.5 (creedmoor, 260 rem, 6.5x47) or a 243, and use that as a light handy deer rifle.

If you are attempting to add another rifle for African use, I would go up in power, not down.

But quite honestly, the 30-06 is the perfect plains game / do-anything rifle. It is a reloader's dream with the amount of possibilities and utility that the cartridge has. I started hunting with a 30-06 back in 1981. In the 36 years since, I have tried all the 7mm, 6.5mm, and 30 mags on the market. Funny thing, is that I always seem to gravitate back to the 30-06. With modern bullets that hit hard and retain weight, the old 30-06 can utilize lighter bullets at faster velocities with less recoil. The new bullets, like Barnes, and great powders on the market brought me to a point where the cartridge is so perfect for everything, I rarely grab another caliber.

Last edited:
Your 30-06 will do everything the 308 will do, and do it better. You already have 2 calibers that will easily handle plains game.

If you want to mess around with a short action, I would do it in a smaller/faster caliber like 6.5 (creedmoor, 260 rem, 6.5x47) or a 243, and use that as a light handy deer rifle.

If you are attempting to add another rifle for African use, I would go up in power, not down.

But quite honestly, the 30-06 is the perfect plains game / do-anything rifle. It is a reloader's dream with the amount of possibilities and utility that the cartridge has. I started hunting with a 30-06 back in 1981. In the 36 years since, I have tried all the 7mm, 6.5mm, and 30 mags on the market. Funny thing, is that I always seem to gravitate back to the 30-06. With modern bullets that hit hard and retain weight, the old 30-06 can utilize lighter bullets at faster velocities with less recoil. The new bullets, like Barnes, and great powders on the market brought me to a point where the cartridge is so perfect for everything, I rarely grab another caliber.

100% agree with this.
Well said.

I took a CZ550 .308W to Africa a few years ago. Great rifle with all the features I wanted. It did 'gum up' with wind blown dust and wouldn't cycle, where as my son's .243 refurb'd Parker Hale Mauser '98 kept working.

Would you attribute this to perhaps looser tolerance on the '98?

Would you attribute this to perhaps looser tolerance on the '98?
Absolutely. A lot of 'African' big game rifles are advertised with tight tolerances, no doubt for accuracy improvement, but i wonder just how many get used in a truely harsh environment.

I am a big Remingotn 700 fan. I have several, and all of them will shoot 1" or better at 100yds. Something to consider, especially if you handload, is magazine length. the 700 short action will have a 2.8" inside magazine length, which is one of the longest available for a short action, and gives you some leeway room for overall case length. I have no idea about the rifles you mentioned concerning magazine lengths. But the 700s have sure been good to me. As for caliber, pick what you want, and if you decide you want something else, get that too later. It is true, the 308 and 30-06 are very close in performance. That doesn't mean you can't have, and appreciate both. Everybody has their own personal favorites. If you want a 308, go for it.

Pretty hard to beat the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight for looks and utility. CRF, great adjustable trigger, accurate barrel and that gorgeous-shape stock. It is without question the only .308 Win I’d buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg