.303 British, good for nothing or classic African cartridge?

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by HWL, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Rule 303

Rule 303 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
    454 the one I held would weight about 6 to 6.5 lbs.

Thanks for your wishes and that is a damned fine boar.(y)

2. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
    My Ruger No.1 accepts the 215 gr Woodleigh to a length of 80,00 mm

My load, calculated by Quickload, is 46,7 gr N550, CCI 200, case S&B, 697 m/s / 2287 fps, 52939 psi /3647 bar meets CIP standarts, works fine, but is for my rifle only!

DSC03500.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2019
    Mojo1961 likes this.

3. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:

Attached Files:

4. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    The .303 British is a wonderful, capable cartridge. I hunted with one for years and it never let me down (180 grain factory loads, Remington Core-Lokt…using 215 grain Woodleigh bullets, it’d be even better). An old African hand I once knew, back in the late 1980’s, said that it was what he carried when hunting elephant in the forest (don’t ask me why, but it was his gun of choice for hunting elephants in South Africa).

It’d be a wonderful battery to take to Africa, a falling block 450/400 NE and a falling block .303 British. Short of carrying an original Farquharson, or something of similar vintage, you could hardly get more classic!

5. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    It's a cartridge that has worked wonderfully on Game at times and worked miserably on game the other times throughout history.
    Some of the good things it accomplished are :
    1) Karamojo Bell used .303 Lee Enfield's to take hundreds of elephant using the 215 grain full metal jacket " solid " bullet
    2) Arthur H Neumann used a .303 Lee Metford on EVERYTHING including elephant , before switching to a .256 Mannlicher magazine rifle for normal game , and a .450 NE Rigby Double rifle for elephants exclusively .
    3) For a Time , FC Sealous used to use a sporting Lee Metford in .303 loaned to him by Harris Holland with which he took down Loads of game.
    Some of the bad things that happened are :
    1) Col. Patterson ( who slew the vile Tsavo lions ) initially came to Africa only with a .303 Lee Enfield and a 12 gauge shotgun . When he went up against the Tsavo lions , even repeated hits from his .303 rifle failed to stop them . In the end , he had to kill them both by using a borrowed Martini Henry.
    It's worth noting that Arthur H Neumann was gored by an elephant which his .303 failed to stop.
    In my opinion , it makes a good plains game round.

CoElkHunter likes this.

6. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    I do not think, it is a good idea to use the .303 British for dangerous game.... no matter what bullet.

My next attempt is the 180 gr Sierra pro Hunter, just to figure out, if it is more accurate than the .215 Woodleigh soft point round nose.

HWL

Mojo1961 likes this.