Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
So I decided to load up some of these in addition to the 180gr Peregrines I've mentioned in the other thread. Since N560 was working well, I stuck with it. I started a bit low at 70.0gr and worked up in 0.5gr increments to 72gr. Below 71.5gr was nothing at all worth mentioning. But then at 71.5gr this happened below. Was starting to get short on time and Justin wanted to run the 9mm a bit. So I'll continue next trip to the range with the 72gr load. But I think we're on to something here. For some reason the pic is coming in rotate 90 degrees counter clockwise. Shots were more a vertical string than horizontal.

180NF 300HH.JPG

Vertical stringing in a group typically indicates you need more powder. As long as there are no high pressure signs then give it the gas. Perhaps dial back your graduations to .2 or .3 but it looks like you are on to something. Look forward to seeing the final results.

Vertical stringing in a group typically indicates you need more powder. As long as there are no high pressure signs then give it the gas. Perhaps dial back your graduations to .2 or .3 but it looks like you are on to something. Look forward to seeing the final results.

Yep, this was first trip with these so I was just trying to get into the ballpark. Will dial it in as I figure out where the groups start opening up again.

The other detail is what time was between the shots and what was the order. Sometimes as the barrel heats it will push-off against the stock or "in-kink" so the shots pattern vertically, low to high.

The other detail is what time was between the shots and what was the order. Sometimes as the barrel heats it will push-off against the stock or "in-kink" so the shots pattern vertically, low to high.

I gave it a minute or so between shots. Cooled down somewhat but not completely. The stock is not original. It's a custom stock and is bedded and floated, so not too much concern about cooling for long.

I'm not a big fan of judging how well a rifle or load shoots based on a single 3 shot string. While working up a load I want to see a minimum of 9 -10 shots that group i.e. three strings of 3 or two strings of 5. All cold bore shots. In this case the rifle is a known commodity shooting a similar weight but different bullet. Did you by chance use a concentricity gage on your reloads? Ever since I got mine, I run every round that is being used for test purposes over it to eliminate any possibility of run out related issues. I'm looking forward to seeing how well the North Fork bullets compare to the Peregrines.

I agree with you that this looks like the start of something good.

Phil, I forget what your rifle is? Did you try some Reloder 22? I am a huge fan of the Alliant powders and in most rifles from 7x57 on up I have very good success with 19 and 22. My pre 64 model 70 .300 H&H likes the same load my Remington did, 69grs of R22 with a 200 gr Nosler Partition. In the 180 gr I had super tight groups with the Barnes Tipped TSX.

I'm not a big fan of judging how well a rifle or load shoots based on a single 3 shot string. While working up a load I want to see a minimum of 9 -10 shots that group i.e. three strings of 3 or two strings of 5. All cold bore shots. In this case the rifle is a known commodity shooting a similar weight but different bullet. Did you by chance use a concentricity gage on your reloads? Ever since I got mine, I run every round that is being used for test purposes over it to eliminate any possibility of run out related issues. I'm looking forward to seeing how well the North Fork bullets compare to the Peregrines.

I agree with you that this looks like the start of something good.

I don't have the concentricity gauge. Instead of getting into turning necks, I use Norma brass. I found out when I first worked with the North Forks they are sensitive to neck thickness consistency. One out of roughly every four shots with Remington brass would be a flyer. I talked to the guys at NF about it. They said either turn the necks or buy better brass. I went the latter route and the flyers went away.

Phil, I forget what your rifle is? Did you try some Reloder 22? I am a huge fan of the Alliant powders and in most rifles from 7x57 on up I have very good success with 19 and 22. My pre 64 model 70 .300 H&H likes the same load my Remington did, 69grs of R22 with a 200 gr Nosler Partition. In the 180 gr I had super tight groups with the Barnes Tipped TSX.

Mine is also one of the two pre-64s I have in this caliber. I have also found good loads with the Alliant powders and since its made just down the road from my alma mater Va Tech, I want to use it. The problem is I've found it to be quite sensitive to temp, particularly at the warm end. Living in AZ this does not bode well.

I too use Norma brass for some calibers. To be sure I had less run out issues but they were not completely eliminated. Using the Hornady Loc & Load Concentricity Gage removed that variable. For deer hunting I'll probably not bother using it. But when a single flier could cost me $500 or more You can bet I'll take the extra time to check each round for concentricity and correct it as necessary.

I too use Norma brass for some calibers. To be sure I had less run out issues but they were not completely eliminated. Using the Hornady Loc & Load Concentricity Gage removed that variable. For deer hunting I'll probably not bother using it. But when a single flier could cost me $500 or more You can bet I'll take the extra time to check each round for concentricity and correct it as necessary.

I'm on the road today but I'll need to discuss this with you later. Never have turned necks and haven't seen it done. If you have I'd like to know how it's done.

I look at neck turning the same as I do annealing. If my loads require it there is something wrong, and I don't see the need for either for hunting loads. Benchrest sure, but not hunting. I check runout by rolling the rounds across my loading bench. If there is a visible wobble it needs correction but otherwise I don't worry about it, just too far into the weeds for me. Same as OAL. I make them fit the mag first and don't worry about how many thousands off the lands they are. I used to get all worked up about long throats too, until I learned it makes no difference if everything is good.

I'm on the road today but I'll need to discuss this with you later. Never have turned necks and haven't seen it done. If you have I'd like to know how it's done.

I did turn the necks on my 35 Whelen brass that I took to Africa. Send me a PM and we can exchange phone numbers. We can more easily discuss neck turning than typing about it.

My pre-64 300 H&H absolutely loves H4350 with the 180gr projectiles. Between 64 and 66 grains is always the sweet spot.

I don't shoot groups to find accuracy nodes anymore (too much human err, and a waste of reloading supplies and time). I hook up my magnetospeed, shoot into a dirt berm, and can always find my accuracy nodes within 15 shots. Be mindful that you can't pull this off with a bad chrono.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.