300 WSM, 300 WM, or 300 PRC for Freestate Plains Game

Been reading this thread for almost a year now. Still haven't changed my view that the 375H&H would be my choice every time. Simply for the fact that if I don't take it while hunting PG, my PH will lean over and say "See that monster cape buffalo over there?"...and I'll be SOL.

.300 Win Mag gets my vote. I own that as well as a .300 WSM. They’re both fine cartridges, but the ammo and component availability alone would lead me to choose the Win Mag.
My first .300 mag was a WSM. Technically, I still own it, but it's on consignment at the moment. It was replaced with a .300WM for two reasons: ammo availability, and using a suppressor. The WSM barrel profile was too light to thread unless I went to 1/2-28 and used an adapter which seemed like a bad idea.

The initial driver for the new rifle was to be able to use a suppressor, but once that decision was made I decided to switch to the WM for ammo availability. I went with a 22" barrel to keep the rifle from getting too long. I primarily use a TBAC Ultra 5 on it for the same reason, but I also have a Nomad LT that I can swap onto it if I care more about being quiet than about being short.

What ever you’re shooting won’t know the difference between them when shot with a 180 gr bullet.

You will know the difference should you need to find ammo abroad.

300 Win Mag /end

(although I do prefer the 300 PRC w/212 gr)

Just got back from RSA in Limpopo. 300 WM.

5 animals, 5 shots, 5 dead. Granted, I put it where it was supposed to go. All of them whistled right through. The farthest an animal went was the wildebeest at barely 100 yds.

I was using Barnes TTSX 180 gr and I will add I don't think I'll ever use anything else.

They are all really fine choices but 300 WM just checks all the boxes right in the middle. Better recoil then the PRC and more power than the WSM. Not much, but still, more power.

I know that this has probably been asked before, but I can not find the thread. I just got back from hunting in the Limpopo region and I used a 30-06 with 180 grain Barnes TTSX. I want to build/buy something that would work for African Plains Game AND Alaskan game (moose, caribou, black bear, mountain goat, elk, maybe brown bear). I have been looking at the 300 WSM, the 300 WM, or the 300 PRC. I reload so I’m not too worried about ammo (as long as I can fine powder and primers). Please make your suggestions so that I can “buy once, cry once” and have a gun for all of the larger game both in my area and Africa.
PBrick why don't you think outside the box for a moment like I did. I looked at all the 300 magnums. 300 wm, 300 weatherby, 300 ultra, 300 wsm. All great rifles. I own 3 custom 300 wsm. and 2 custom 300 wm.

Know what I went with? .325 wsm. The 325 is an 8mm bore round that can handle all non dangerous plains game in Africa. I'd certainly hunt croc & would have no problem shooting a leopard with it. The .325 can handle any elk or moose in north America and good up to brownies. I know many Alaskan guides that WILL NOT let you book a hunt with them if you are shooting a 300 win mag for brown bear.

I have Nosler .325 wsm its a tack driver. I've taken it to Africa 2 times. Everything but 1 stubborn hartabeest hit the dirt. I shot him squarely on the shoulder with a 200 grain bullet broke the shoulder bone no blood. He limped off we could never find him. The only other time I had to shoot twice was with my Kudu. First shot was a neck shot about 170 yards. He went strait down, a follow up to put him out of his misery was necessary. I love my mine.

7x64mm Brenneke 160 to 170gr
300 H&H 200gr

I used 300WM with Barnes 180gr TTSX in RSA. Everything died, very quickly. I don't think anything went more than 50-75 yds.

Since then, I bought another 300WM.

I'm not a huge fan of 300 WSM. With its short neck, it isn't as suitable for 200+ gr bullets as the other 30 cal magnums. Bullet run-out is a thing, after all.

300WSM was an answer to a question nobody asked and suffers from not being able to shoot heavier bullets (200 grain and above) without compressing the powder, so it's off the table.

The 300PRC was specifically designed as a long range cartridge and because of that, it is capable of ethically taking game out to 600 yards...if the shooter is capable. I'd like to know how many times a PH has green lighted a 400+ yard shot. So it's a great caliber but not likely for use in Africa. However shooting a western mountain sheep at that distance isn't off the table so it's a consideration.

The 300WM performance falls between the other two cartridges and is also the most likely to be found if your ammo is lost in transit (both in Alaska and Africa). If you are OK with limiting your shots to 450 yards or less (again with a capable shooter), it will get the job done with premium bullets ranging from 165 to 220 grains.

So you know where my vote lies...375H&H. Sorry for the curve ball but the 375 would be my go to for all African game as well as most of the other game you mentioned in Alaska. With solids the 375 can take the T10 with very little to no hide damage and you can still hunt DG in any country. Range of the 375 is limited to 300 yards, but some gains can be made with 270 and 250 grain bullets to extend that.

Lastly, I agree with @Mtn_Infantry on the fact that a 375 makes a 30 caliber nearly redundant. A better choice would be the 257WBY to compliment the 375.
Yep - this ☝️

Why do you need 200Gr bullets? Not that there is anything wrong with it...but a 180gr TSX or similar is easily capable to 500M. Lighter bullets often have advantages at the distances people generally hunt (inside 400M) as they allow you to shoot with a max point blank range zero and not think about dialing optics or holds. Flatter trajectory from higher velocity means quicker shots.

Unless you are using a target bullet with a VLD type profile and super heavy for caliber (Bergers or similar in the 220-230gr range)...the 300 WSM isn't really a handicap.

For a plains game rifle, the various 300 mags are all relatively equal inside 500 yards...which is where most of us hunt. Beyond that, the limitations are not really caliber specific...you get into a lot of other variables like optics, range finders, super high BC bullets with all their inherent drama, ammo with super low SD...and rifles to do that work.

I generally shoot a 300 Win Mag...but the WSM will do the same work overall.

YMMV

Why do you need 200Gr bullets? Not that there is anything wrong with it...but a 180gr TSX or similar is easily capable to 500M. Lighter bullets often have advantages at the distances people generally hunt (inside 400M) as they allow you to shoot with a max point blank range zero and not think about dialing optics or holds. Flatter trajectory from higher velocity means quicker shots.

Unless you are using a target bullet with a VLD type profile and super heavy for caliber (Bergers or similar in the 220-230gr range)...the 300 WSM isn't really a handicap.

For a plains game rifle, the various 300 mags are all relatively equal inside 500 yards...which is where most of us hunt. Beyond that, the limitations are not really caliber specific...you get into a lot of other variables like optics, range finders, super high BC bullets with all their inherent drama, ammo with super low SD...and rifles to do that work.

YMMV
Lots of guys like shooting heavy bullets.

If 180 gr 30 cal is somebody's thing, 300 WSM is fine. If they like 200+, then pretty much every 30 magnum is a better choice.

YMMV
100%

Lots of guys like shooting heavy bullets.

If 180 gr 30 cal is somebody's thing, 300 WSM is fine. If they like 200+, then pretty much every 30 magnum is a better choice.
100%
That's exactly why I prefer the 300wsm and have other calibres if I need heavier projectiles

I know that this has probably been asked before, but I can not find the thread. I just got back from hunting in the Limpopo region and I used a 30-06 with 180 grain Barnes TTSX. I want to build/buy something that would work for African Plains Game AND Alaskan game (moose, caribou, black bear, mountain goat, elk, maybe brown bear). I have been looking at the 300 WSM, the 300 WM, or the 300 PRC. I reload so I’m not too worried about ammo (as long as I can fine powder and primers). Please make your suggestions so that I can “buy once, cry once” and have a gun for all of the larger game both in my area and Afric

PBrick,

I see you started this thread.in June of '22. So what did you end up with? How has it worked out?

In case you haven't chosen yet, my vote is the .300 WM. I've used mine on two mule deer, and one each of black bear, bull moose, nyala, waterbuck, bushbuck and impala. The impala was the longest shot at about 300 yards. Everything died very.close to where the 200 grain Accubond hit them and I have never recovered a single bullet. I never lost any ammo, so I didn't need to buy any, but I felt better knowing I'd be able to get some where ever I was.

Doug

Yall are all crazy! The 6.5 Creedmoor is the only way to go for plains game.

Before you pick the caliber, perhaps pick the gun. WSM or std WIN or a PRC, they will have slightly different actions and bolt throws. I have a number of WSM, they can be finicky. However, a 60 degree bolt throw and a WSM and put that on your should and shoot and rack the bolt, there's a difference vs. others. But of the three you mentioned, 300 Win mag, the gold standard in 30 caliber, right after the 30-06. Buy the gun, based on the combination, not one thing alone. IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,