Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
I’ve had my 300 Winchester magnum muzzle braked.
The rifle is a Remington stock and action. I had a gunsmith (years ago) put a medium stainless steel barrel 24 inch and a Timney trigger set for 3/4 pound.

I’m going go target shooting with my shooting friend Ron who has a 300 too.
What I’m asking is for some bullet brands, powder types, weight of powder suitable for long distance target shooting.
I’m thinking of 200-240 grain bullets.
I’ve used 150 and 180 grain bullets but need a very high ballistic coefficient to reach out around 1 km.

The rifle is a Remington stock and action. I had a gunsmith (years ago) put a medium stainless steel barrel 24 inch and a Timney trigger set for 3/4 pound.

What I’m asking is for some bullet brands, powder types, weight of powder suitable for long distance target shooting.
I’ve used 150 and 180 grain bullets but need a very high ballistic coefficient to reach out around 1 km.
@Dr Ray
Have you given any thoughts to the Hornady 212gn ELD or one of the heavy weight nosler target bullets.

Not being a paper puncher or gong ringer I have no experience in this field but just my thoughts.
Bob

Since you're target shooting and with that perhaps lobbing more than just a few rounds, I would've recommended the Nosler BT. Inexpensive and very accurate in my experience, but I think they only come in 180gr variety.

If you move up to 200gr or more, I would recommend giving H4831 a try as a powder. It is known not to give the highest velocity, and my experience agrees with that, but I've generally got great accuracy out of it.

I have never shot at anything at a km, but I have been shooting my .300 with 200 gr. Nosler Accubonds and found them to be super accurate. My load is 71 gr. of RL-22 and WLRM primers. There are probably better extreme long range target bullets, but at the range I was shooting one hole groups, and it proved to be an excellent hunting bullet in Zimbabwe.

@Dr Ray
Have you given any thoughts to the Hornady 212gn ELD or one of the heavy weight nosler target bullets.

Not being a paper puncher or gong ringer I have no experience in this field but just my thoughts.
Bob

That’s definitely one I was thinking about

I have never shot at anything at a km, but I have been shooting my .300 with 200 gr. Nosler Accubonds and found them to be super accurate. My load is 71 gr. of RL-22 and WLRM primers. There are probably better extreme long range target bullets, but at the range I was shooting one hole groups, and it proved to be an excellent hunting bullet in Zimbabwe.

Thank you
Much appreciated

Since you're target shooting and with that perhaps lobbing more than just a few rounds, I would've recommended the Nosler BT. Inexpensive and very accurate in my experience, but I think they only come in 180gr variety.

If you move up to 200gr or more, I would recommend giving H4831 a try as a powder. It is known not to give the highest velocity, and my experience agrees with that, but I've generally got great accuracy out of it.

Thank you
Really appreciated

Almost 1100 yards. You must have some specialized rig. I have milk jugs at 500yds with 30-378.
1100 yds is a feat with 200gr 300 win.mag.
Let us know how it comes out. Nosler do make dome long range accu bond bullets.
Krish

Berger.
Screenshot_20221204-174849_Chrome.jpg

I agree for target shooting Berger is a good bullet. But so is the Sierra match king and the Accubond long range and hornady eld-x. Hard part is actually getting hands on components! I agree IMR 4831 and IMR 7828 but I like the short cut versions if you can find them. Alliant (RL) powders are my favorite but again, try and find them. Good luck and have fun!

I suggest Sierra MatchKings. Good target bullets and not expensive.

My Tikka likes 200G bullets of most any mfg but it seems to like Sierras the most

Dr. Ray - I'm a big fan of Reloader 22 powder overall and I believe it to be the ideal .300win powder
Funny thing. I bought RL 22 originally to use with 180 gr. bullets. I never could get the accuracy that I was.looking for, and settled on IMR 4350. When I tried it with the 200 gr. Accubonds and RL 22, the groups dropped in size beyond what I thought the rifle was capable of. It seems every individual rifle prefers one load to anything else.

This is from a Ruger w/ 24" barrel, 200 gr ELD-X. First table is MagPro and second is Alliant 4000-MR. Was working up hunting loads for my son-in-law's 300 WM. Velocity was from a MagnetoSpeed.

1670275570830.png

1670275936091.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you