300 Winchester Mag load 180 gr

Biggs

Reaction score
Member of
SA Hunters & ECGMA
Hunted
Kudu,Gemsbok,Wildebees
Looking for some advice for a good load for a 300 win mag. Just acquired one !

Welcome to AH. What/where are you hunting? I have a 200gr bullet load for my .300WM and working on a 165gr load at the moment. H4831 is used for the 200gr load and working with IMR4350 for the lighter bullet. Lots of guys swear by RL22 for 180 and 200gr bullets.

I have taken more game with .300 win mag than any other rifle that I own. From Steenbok and kudu to sable, elk, grizzly etc.
I only use 200gr swift A-frame loads. Remington used to offer them in their Safari Grade loads but I don't think they are making them anymore. Corbon Ammo has this load available

I had a friend load me some 300 win mag and had great luck with them. It is 76 grains of imr 7828 with a barnes 180 grain ttsx.

I also use to use the factory Remington 200 grain a-frames but they stopped making them. We did reload some and they worked well also. It is 70 grains of imr 4831 and a 200 grain a frame.

Both are just basic loads that can be made hotter but they both worked good so we never did anymore with them.

I use federal premium 180 grain in my .300 win mag. One shot for kudu, blue wildebeest, black bear, and elk

By the way, welcome to AH!

East Cape South Africa hunting Kudu and Blue Wildebees

For availability you may want to take a look at the bullets from Peregrine which are made in RSA. They have a reloading guide and various loads on their website using Somchem powders.

www.peregrinebullets.com

Biggs, in the USA the 2 powders of first choice for most reloaders shooting 300 mags 180-200 gr bullets are RL22 and H1000. Probably more swear by RL22. any of the online manuals will give you some starting loads to work up. I have found most 300s like the bullets close to the lands and close to max loads to shoot the best. Good luck have fun and be safe.

Realguns.com list 9 bullets from 130 to 200 gr. Should cover you for just about anything. The only issue on see in this article is the test gun was a Browning BAR and I'm assuming you bought a bolt action. Results may vary.

http://www.realguns.com/articles/440.htm

Sauer 300 win mag bolt action . Lovely rifle looking forward to test on the shooting range first

FullSizeRender.jpg

This is a 200 gr Nosler Partition. The Swift A-Frame 200 gr wasn't quite as tight (.87") but still accurate enough IMO. 3 shots.
You can find these loads on Hodgdon's website. These were fired at the 100 meter range in a Tikka T3 SS Lite with a Burris C4 3-9x scope.

View attachment 163616
This is a 200 gr Nosler Partition. The Swift A-Frame 200 gr wasn't quite as tight (.87") but still accurate enough IMO. 3 shots.
You can find these loads on Hodgdon's website. These were fired at the 100 meter range in a Tikka T3 SS Lite with a Burris C4 3-9x scope.

That will get it done!!! Tikka is a great rifle as well!

View attachment 163616

Imagine that, an accurate Tikka......just like every other one. Probably was very easy to find those loads too! ;)

Welcome to AH. What/where are you hunting? I have a 200gr bullet load for my .300WM and working on a 165gr load at the moment. H4831 is used for the 200gr load and working with IMR4350 for the lighter bullet. Lots of guys swear by RL22 for 180 and 200gr bullets.
Solid advice right here. I use both H4831 and IMR 4350 for my 300 mag in 165, 180, and 220 grain bullet loads. 180 and 220 grain bullets is what my particular rifle likes best. I used 165 grain Spire point Boat tails with H4831SC for a light deer load for years. Tac driving accurate and it will flatten a mule deer at 300 yards. As accurate as that load was, the 180's and 220's are even more accurate outta mine. Theres not much a fella would want to shoot anywhere in the world that those two bullet weights and caliber combinations wont do with superb results.

Reactions: cal
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
You're a hard man Phoenix Phil!

Oh yes, Biggs I believe you were actually asking about a 180 gr? Mine isn't quite as good, but this isn't too bad either.

Well me to Ah. I have used Winchester Ballistic Silvertips on many plains game animals.

Lots of guys reload for the 300 Win Mag. Your powder choice is rather limited. Send a PM (personal message) to Alchemist an AH member and an accomplished reloader that lives in Pretoria. Anything he says you can take to the bank!!

By the way welcome to AH.

Hi Biggs
Welcome..
I just aquired a Tikka T3 300 Win Mag myself. Waiting for the license card. I helped 3 guys so far on 300 WM loads. So far the 180 gr bullets using S365 looks to be the better load.
I will be starting as soon as I get my rifle. My combination will be 180 Gr Nosler BT and AB with Norma Brass and S365 lot 84 and CCI Magnum primers. Barrel of the Tikka is 24".
I can assit with QL if you have access to a chrony.
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross