Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, SCI, NRA, RMEF
Hunted
USA, RSA, Canada, Namibia, New Zealand, Mexico
I am planning on going on a plains game safari this year. Some of my target animals are going to be members of the tiny 10. I plan on bring my 300 win mag and was hoping to bringing a few non-expanding solids with me for the little guys. Unfortuently I cannot find any commercially loaded solids here in the USA. Does anyone know a manufacturer who commercially makes them already loaded. I know I know.....I do not reload.

Thanks guys

I am planning on going on a plains game safari this year. Some of my target animals are going to be members of the tiny 10. I plan on bring my 300 win mag and was hoping to bringing a few non-expanding solids with me for the little guys. Unfortuently I cannot find any commercially loaded solids here in the USA. Does anyone know a manufacturer who commercially makes them already loaded. I know I know.....I do not reload.

Thanks guys

I don't know of any factory loaded solids in the non DG calibers. I think I would talk to one of the custom ammo guys about this if I were you. Here's one that I think @johnnyblues has used.

http://www.superiorammo.com/

I've not tried it, but you could probably use a really stout bullet and it would likely not open up anyway. Something like a Swift AF or TB Bear Claw. I'd bet that a heavy monometal like a 200gr barnes would also probably not open.

Like this - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...grain-speer-trophy-bonded-bear-claw-box-of-20

Screenshot (240).png

Last edited by a moderator:
Woodleigh hydrostatic bullets might work. The 30 cal is 150 grain. @Red Leg I believe has used them in another caliber and may have an idea how they would work on smaller critters. Good luck

Hornady makes a 150gr. solid but you probably have to reload it

What about TTSX, GMX, or Nosler Etip? Wouldn't a monometal just zip right through (unless it hit bone)?

No idea how a target/match bullet would work - I know they are designed not to expand and they are available in factory ammo. Something like an SMK?

The idea of mono metals zipping through is the biggest fallacy in hunting today. Speed is what makes mono metals expand, especially in soft tissue. Trust me, with a high velocity hit full expansion is achieved in a couple inches of flesh. Targets bullets are often more frangible than hunting bullets and extremely explosive.

OK, I hear you on the SMKs. Have never seen any tests with them in gel and certainly haven't seen them used on animals.

Regarding monometals - I've seen TTSX on whitetails and they zipped right through. Last instance was a 180 lbs buck at 80 yrds with a 130g TTSX out of a 270 Win. Couldn't tell the entry from the exit and the wound channel was fairly well contained - certainly more well contained than a Partition or BT. Have also used them on yotes and a bobcat with very little pelt damage (very small exit wounds).

If a monometal only expands to 2X its original diameter and retains 90%+ of it's original weight, why isn't this a good, fairly inexpensive solution to the question posed?

The woodleigh hydros wont expand,I have shot small deer to mature deer with them using a .358NM,they work equally as well on big or small.

When people believe a bullet zipped right through because they see a small exit, it really means nothing. An expanded 30 cal mono metal would be about the same diameter as your pinky finger. It's the damage inside that matters. Bullets traveling through flesh at high speed rip and tear through the primary wound channel and a secondary wound channel is created by displaced fluid.. On larger game, this ripping and tearing and displaced fluid is often stopped at the exit by the thicker hide resulting in a small exit hole but on small game it often blows right through the hide creating a massive hole. The diameter of the expanded bullet and the diameter of the exit hole are not always relative. I've shot coyotes, jackals, duiker, Val Rhebuck and steinbuck with a variety of mono metals and they all had one thing in common...massive exit holes.

Hmmm Thanks....I think you guys confirmed what I thought. There are no factory soilids made in 300 Win Mag. I will have to either get some custom loads or bring my 375 H&H with me. l guess there are worse things than bringing two favorite rifles.

If I was you and from the sounds of it you don't reload I would head down to my local gun shop and see if someone there might load up some Hornady FMJ rounds for your .300.

Before I started to reload myself that is the way that I went and the person that reloaded my ammo for me was more than happy to do it for me for a small fee.

Seems what to shoot little guys is a common thing theses days see my post about shooting them with a 300win or 416 with solids. I reload so I have the barnes 30 cal solids and they are an option for me. BUT after answers on the forum and per my PH I am going to shoot them with 416 solids because they will be moving way slower than the 300 solids would be and its the hydrostatic shock that blows them up from the velocity energy transfer. I can tell you that if you hit them with anything lead including premium bullets in a 300 win mag at high velocity it leaves a big hole did that to a stein buck and 5 spring bucks though they are considered tiny ones.

I have used a .300 Win mag with Barnes TTSX bullets on the tiny guys. Usually because something else wasn't at hand. I can confirm that the damage is severe. On a frontal shot on a Salt's dik-dik a few months ago, the animal was completely gutted - the entire lower half of the body was blown away, and one of the front legs was found about 4 feet away from the rest of the body.

If you're looking to make almost any type of mount (other than a European or skull mount), you either need to go with something much, much, smaller (but not high velocity) or much bigger. I have no experience with smaller, except for a 22-250 on gophers. They blow up. So I suggest going bigger if you can't get solids. I shot a red duiker with a .416 and it left a nice clean hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!