300 Win Mag or 325 WSM

I have had a 300 Winchester for over 25 years and have shot 20 rounds through it, at the range. I have other 300’s but, really have had no interest in using them. Though I do think the 300 magnums are multi-purpose and longer range rounds.
Personally, I would prefer the 325 WSM on shots 300 yds and under. Those distances, I don’t think the ballistic advantages of the 300 magnum is a notable advantage.
I am not sure one or the other kills any better than the other at those distances. Perhaps, I just like the 8mm better than the .308 caliber. The .323 splits the difference between the .308 and .338.

I have Kimber Montana in 325 WSM that shoots the 200 grain TSX quite well. It is a lighter rifle presently with a 1.7-10x42 scope. I think this combination covers a lot of game animals under 300 yds.
It plays 4th string, after my 416, 375, and 338.
200 meters is about the farthest distances that I will be shooting. So, trajectory and wind drift plays little in my choice of cartridge or rifle.

I prefer the .300 WM even more now. This one has almost no recoil.
Screenshot_20201026-184814~2.png

300wsm is a practical magnum cartridge and a great performer. Certainly more practical than 325wsm. They are similar in performance, yet the 300 has so much more to offer in terms of all around availability . It’s really a no brainer to choose the 300. So “do what I say and not what I do”. Because as previously mentioned, I own two 325s and likely had “no brains” when I bought them-lol. But I still love them. I love all my firearms .

I walked down to the range this morning to check my .325. Three bullets touching at 100. It is a very accurate cartridge.

Personally I think that the .325 is far more versatile than the .300. Mine has very little recoil, and is set up for long range (500+) shooting. It carries plenty of thump out there. Load it with 200 gr A-Frames and it is effective on big bears. I have shot the big guys with a .300 and concluded that it was a little on the light side.

I walked down to the range this morning to check my .325. Three bullets touching at 100. It is a very accurate cartridge.

Personally I think that the .325 is far more versatile than the .300. Mine has very little recoil, and is set up for long range (500+) shooting. It carries plenty of thump out there. Load it with 200 gr A-Frames and it is effective on big bears. I have shot the big guys with a .300 and concluded that it was a little on the light side.
Yes the 325 is fairly versatile. A 200 grain bullet with nearly 2000 ft lbs of energy out to 625 yards is awesome. Especially an AFrame. Any animal on the planet can be harvested with those ballistics. You got to love the 325. 35 ft. Lbs of recoil energy is stout but easily doable without getting too bashed. Although once I was testing drops, loads and various factory ammo from the bench. One day 100 rounds of 30-06 and the next day 100 rounds out of my 325. That my body noticed-lol. Enjoy your 325. Great cartridge!

For the many reasons mentioned above, I'd go with the 300WM.
The next obvious step up would be the (previously mentioned) 338WM.
My only other suggestion is why not a 375?

If you already have a 30 caliber like a 308WIN or 30-06 save your money.
Put a little more horsepower in that punch with a 375H&H.
After all, a 30-06 and 375H&H is a classic African 2-gun battery.

EDIT - Damn, I just realized this thread is 7 years old.
Lol. I do the same thing occasionally. I usually get mocked for what folks on forums call necroposts. Personally I appreciate you revived the thread. As to the original post, a 30-06 would work on all plains game at reasonable ranges. Even an Eland. 30-06 much easier to get if your ammo is lost and 15ft.lbs less recoil. That may help some to shoot more accurately. We all know good bullet placement trumps most anything. Just for the record, I’ve enjoyed reading through old threads. Tons of helpful information to be learned. No need for you to apologize in my opinion. Thanks

Lol. I do the same thing occasionally. I usually get mocked for what folks on forums call necroposts. Personally I appreciate you revived the thread. As to the original post, a 30-06 would work on all plains game at reasonable ranges. Even an Eland. 30-06 much easier to get if your ammo is lost and 15ft.lbs less recoil. That may help some to shoot more accurately. We all know good bullet placement trumps most anything. Just for the record, I’ve enjoyed reading through old threads. Tons of helpful information to be learned. No need for you to apologize in my opinion. Thanks
@Vinootz
I to like old threads and sometimes they get kick started again with new information such as loads and projectiles as things can change a alot in a few years.

As an 8mm fan, I still like the 325 WSM. Not that my 325's have seen hardly any use but I have 3 of them now. One Kimber Montana with the 24" barrel, another Kimber Montana with a 22-1/4" barrel, and a M70 classic with 24" barrel.

If I were hunting medium sized game past 300 yds, perhaps I would favor the various 300's with high bc bullets at 3000 + fps.
At my present shooting distances the 8mm 200 grain TSX at 2800-2900 fps has more than adequate trajectory.

As an 8mm fan, I still like the 325 WSM. Not that my 325's have seen hardly any use but I have 3 of them now. One Kimber Montana with the 24" barrel, another Kimber Montana with a 22-1/4" barrel, and a M70 classic with 24" barrel.

If I were hunting medium sized game past 300 yds, perhaps I would favor the various 300's with high bc bullets at 3000 + fps.
At my present shooting distances the 8mm 200 grain TSX at 2800-2900 fps has more than adequate trajectory.
Cool. I wish 8mm was more popular here in the states.

I own a 325 wsm but it sits in the safe because i have my poor mans magnum giving a run worth its money. 8mm-06 with 200gr Nosler Accubond at nearly 2800 fps with RE-17. I dont think i'll notice the power difference if i get my 325 up to 2850-2900fps.

82R4dwI.jpg
CdmqO1a.jpg
ffo5Epo.jpg
q7ATGnu.jpg
SzyppFn.jpg
t5LwBJW.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I own a 325 wsm but it sits in the safe because i have my poor mans magnum giving a run worth its money. 8mm-06 with 200gr Nosler Accubond at nearly 2800 fps with RE-17. I dont think i'll notice the power difference if i get my 325 up to 2850-2900fps.

View attachment 483249View attachment 483250View attachment 483251View attachment 483252View attachment 483253View attachment 483254
@mauser98
No flies on that performance. People need to realise that over normal practical hunting ranges magnums in a lot of cases are not really needed. The Whelen will do everything the 338WM will do out to 300 yards with less fuss and bother.
Magnums are fun and do a brilliant job but in reality how many hunters can actually use the extra performance.
Just my thoughts.
Bob

View attachment 483249View attachment 483250View attachment 483251View attachment 483252View attachment 483253View attachment 483254
First of all, nice old buck you harvested. I'm very curious as to what happened to the right rear leg?

Second, that is fantastic performance you are getting. You have the added advantage of a standard size casing which will likely let you get 5 rounds in the mag. My .325 is limited to 3 rounds in the mag due to the large circumference of the casings. I do like my .325, but all else equal, I would lean toward an 8x68 or perhaps what you have.

Oh and Bob, the .325 is a magnum in name only. Some marketing guy having too many martinis at lunch I suspect.

First of all, nice old buck you harvested. I'm very curious as to what happened to the right rear leg?

Second, that is fantastic performance you are getting. You have the added advantage of a standard size casing which will likely let you get 5 rounds in the mag. My .325 is limited to 3 rounds in the mag due to the large circumference of the casings. I do like my .325, but all else equal, I would lean toward an 8x68 or perhaps what you have.

Oh and Bob, the .325 is a magnum in name only. Some marketing guy having too many martinis at lunch I suspect.
First shot spined the buck paralyzing his rear legs, then a second shot to finish him off. Shot was 200 yards shooting down a basin with the buck on the move about to get away from me.

This is what i was shooting down.

hJr3hFd.jpg

I get 5 down in that mauser. My winchester m70 extreme weather fits 3 down. It would be well sutied for mountian hunts. Very light weight rifle.

35XWZR7.jpg
UJdyl6z.jpg

Hi everyone,

I am booked in to do a plains game hunt next year just wondering what callibers people are using. My main animals will be kudu zebra eland springbuck gemsbok and so on. I want to get a 300 win mag but the gun i am after i am having trouble getting it. There is a 325 wsm in the same make of rifle that i like but would like to know what people think of the 325 over the 300. And is the ammo for the 325 easy to get over in Africa (Namibia) just incase things go missing in transit.
Cheers in advance
Clint
Just got back, our crew took 18 animals with 300 win 180 x bullets. up to elan. Have used 325 on elk 200 bowler accbond

I personally would question the future of the 325WSM. It's not a terribly popular round, and when something doesn't sell, business dictates that product gets dropped. Beyond that, I don't see where an 325WSM shooting a 220gr bullet has any advantage over a 300 Win Mag shooting a 200gr. bullet, all else being equal. They both will be somewhere around 2850fps, and they both have an identical .301 sectional density. Not every bullet manufacturer even makes a 220gr 8mm. Nosler only offers 200gr in their Accubond or Partition, which would then be at a disadvantage to a 300 Win Mag and a premium 200gr. bullet. My vote goes to the 300 Win Mag.
LMAO

8mm-06 and .338-06 seem to be really only popular here in Canada. I was ready to do 8mm-06 out of an old Mauser but I did eventually get 8x60. So will give that a try first. For .338-06 I bought a nice Krieger barrel, but never even started the project plus I have a 9.3x62. So, I just sold the barrel. Lost money on it as it was the slower 1-12 twist and everyone wants fast twist these days (or they used that excuse to offer less). I think it would have been fine for 200-250 grn bullets so maybe I should have kept it but, hey I have way more projects planned or on the go, that I'm learning to abandon them and just enjoy the completed ones. As they dwindle down in number, I can then just focus on one.

Whatever you like in America. IF going abroad, 300 Win Mag (or even 300 WSM.) But, ammo WILL be available for the former when folks at the airport cause your pet ammo to go missing....Both of the aforementioned are excellent performers (giving nod to the 300 WM as the larger required bullets in Africa don't eat up as much powder space!) I adore my 6.5-300 WSM created back in '06, but the 300 WM has served me well since a teenager! The 300 WM has been used in 3,000 yd competition. It's also pretty well proven at hunting range. 8mm WSM. LOL Another Corporate Committee gone entirely wrong!

And excepting the small percentage of you that get offended, corporate committees have no allegiance to you other than to suck money out of your bank accounts via advertisements and brainwashing, and at best selling you some substandard item and at worst but considered their best some food that makes you sick and then the medicine that makes you better. This I know from previously working at Big corporations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!