Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
I just got back from a range session this morning, taking advantage of the cloudy, 82 F temps which rate as a cold snap for August in Louisiana. As the title to this thread states, I was testing some 300 Win Mag loads with Alliant 4000-MR and Hornady 200 gr ELD-X bullets.

Why this combination? Let me explain:

300 Win Mag: I don't own a rifle in this caliber, but I have two sons-in-law that do. One has a Ruger M77 MkII with a 24 inch barrel and the other has a Browning A-Bolt with a 26 inch barrel. Both are left handed actions. A few months ago, @Manny R posted a for sale note for a bunch of once fired 300 WM brass, so I jumped on that deal.

Alliant 4000-MR powder: @tarbe made some people happy by selling some of his powder inventory earlier this year at pre-crazy prices. I bought an eight pound jug of this stuff, as it looked like a powder that would work on 7mm mag, 300 WM and 338 WM. There isn't much info available on this powder, but Alliant had this on their webiste:

1629138231018.png

Federal 215 Magnum primers
I have a bunch of these in inventory, but I am embarrassed to say what I paid for them during the past year or so.

Hornady 200 gr ELD-X bullets
I finally found some of these on GB a few weeks ago. Got 4 boxes of 100 for pre-crazy prices. This bullet has a high temp resistant plastic tip and a sleek boat tail design, giving it a very high BC of 0.597. Also lots of good real world reports. I sort of view the ELD-X and an improved SST, another bullet which I have used to take quite a few critters.

1629138781798.png

Given the Alliant recipe info, I decided to load 69 to 72 grains in one grain intervals. Loaded 5 rounds each, so 25 round total. Since the 200 gr ELD-X is a fairly long bullet, I seated the bullet as max COAL of 3.340 inches and put a slight crimp on it with a Lee factory crimp die.

1629140203094.png

Velocity is from a Magneto Speed. These are the results:

1629139090779.png

The 68 grain group was the worst (could have been me) and the 69 grain group was the best. I could have stopped with the 69 grain group and would have been very happy, about half an inch group. The 72 grain group was very good too. I think for my next trip, I will load some 0.2 gr intervals around the 69 and 72 and see what happens. I am also thinking 72.2 might be my max, as I don't need the 3000+ fps velocity. I typically hunt 300 yards or closer.

Any comments or observations are welcome.

So you shot these groups through a left handed rifle? You just finished saying that you don't own a rifle and then we've got data. My curiosity demands that you fill in this void. Please.

@Forrest Halley, yes I used the left handed Browning A Bolt with the 26 inch barrel. I am actually left handed, but right eye dominate so I have shot right handed all my life. I shot these rounds today, right handed from a Lead Sled

Like you, I think I'd be more inclined to the 72 Gr. load. Velocity is approx. 150 FPS faster across the board. Ft. Lbs. of energy and penetration will be better as well.

I think the better load is the 69 grain running 2,856 fps. It just seems ideal for a 200 grain non bonded bullet. Easier on the rifle, brass and shooter as well.

It was 60 F today in NW Louisiana so I loaded up and went to the range today and did a little more testing with 300 Win Mag loads. I might have found a magic load for the 300 WM! At least for the Ruger.

All previous testing was done with son-in-law #2 left handed Browning A-Bolt. It has a 26 inch barrel, 1-10" twist. I finally got hold of son-in-law #1 left handed Ruger MkII 300 WM with a 24 inch barrel, 1-10" twist.

I loaded 5 rounds each with 68.8, 69.0 and 69.2 grs of Alliant 4000-MR and a 200 gr Hornady ELD-X bullet. Shot them in the Ruger on a Lead Sled and used my MagnetoSpeed to measure velocity. These are loads 1, 2 & 3 in the table below.

After that, I had 10 rounds left of 69.2 grs. This load grouped the best in prior testing with the Browning A-Bolt, but not a huge difference in other loads plus or minus a few tenths. Today, I shot 5 rounds through each rifle and the 2 inch longer barrel on the Browning yielded 15-27 fps over the Ruger. (Comparing Loads 3 & 4 vs Load 5). Load 4 in the table essentially is a second 5 round test of same load as Load 3. Load 5 is the 69.2 gr load, shot through the Browning.

For the Ruger, the 69.0 gr load looks really good from a standard deviation and extreme spread from a 5 shot group.

1645392242292.png

My plan is to load up 20 more rounds with 69.0 grs and go shoot 10 rounds from each rifle. Maybe 5 at 100 yards and 5 at 200 yards for each rifle. If the groups are 1 MOA or better, call it good and go load 300 rounds with this recipe and give each SIL 150 rounds for birthday presents this spring.

I am trying to settle on one load for both rifles, but I might have to go with a specific load for each rifle. Not a big deal, custom loads in the reason for reloading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross