Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
I just got back from a range session this morning, taking advantage of the cloudy, 82 F temps which rate as a cold snap for August in Louisiana. As the title to this thread states, I was testing some 300 Win Mag loads with Alliant 4000-MR and Hornady 200 gr ELD-X bullets.

Why this combination? Let me explain:

300 Win Mag: I don't own a rifle in this caliber, but I have two sons-in-law that do. One has a Ruger M77 MkII with a 24 inch barrel and the other has a Browning A-Bolt with a 26 inch barrel. Both are left handed actions. A few months ago, @Manny R posted a for sale note for a bunch of once fired 300 WM brass, so I jumped on that deal.

Alliant 4000-MR powder: @tarbe made some people happy by selling some of his powder inventory earlier this year at pre-crazy prices. I bought an eight pound jug of this stuff, as it looked like a powder that would work on 7mm mag, 300 WM and 338 WM. There isn't much info available on this powder, but Alliant had this on their webiste:

1629138231018.png

Federal 215 Magnum primers
I have a bunch of these in inventory, but I am embarrassed to say what I paid for them during the past year or so.

Hornady 200 gr ELD-X bullets
I finally found some of these on GB a few weeks ago. Got 4 boxes of 100 for pre-crazy prices. This bullet has a high temp resistant plastic tip and a sleek boat tail design, giving it a very high BC of 0.597. Also lots of good real world reports. I sort of view the ELD-X and an improved SST, another bullet which I have used to take quite a few critters.

1629138781798.png

Given the Alliant recipe info, I decided to load 69 to 72 grains in one grain intervals. Loaded 5 rounds each, so 25 round total. Since the 200 gr ELD-X is a fairly long bullet, I seated the bullet as max COAL of 3.340 inches and put a slight crimp on it with a Lee factory crimp die.

1629140203094.png

Velocity is from a Magneto Speed. These are the results:

1629139090779.png

The 68 grain group was the worst (could have been me) and the 69 grain group was the best. I could have stopped with the 69 grain group and would have been very happy, about half an inch group. The 72 grain group was very good too. I think for my next trip, I will load some 0.2 gr intervals around the 69 and 72 and see what happens. I am also thinking 72.2 might be my max, as I don't need the 3000+ fps velocity. I typically hunt 300 yards or closer.

Any comments or observations are welcome.

Forrest Halley

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
So you shot these groups through a left handed rifle? You just finished saying that you don't own a rifle and then we've got data. My curiosity demands that you fill in this void. Please.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
@Forrest Halley, yes I used the left handed Browning A Bolt with the 26 inch barrel. I am actually left handed, but right eye dominate so I have shot right handed all my life. I shot these rounds today, right handed from a Lead Sled

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Like you, I think I'd be more inclined to the 72 Gr. load. Velocity is approx. 150 FPS faster across the board. Ft. Lbs. of energy and penetration will be better as well.

shootist~

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
I think the better load is the 69 grain running 2,856 fps. It just seems ideal for a 200 grain non bonded bullet. Easier on the rifle, brass and shooter as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benhvienkhoa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gprippers wrote on Tucketed's profile.
Hello, saw that you want the Jeffries brass. So you an either send a USPS money order or paypal i guess, which ever works for you is fine with me at this point. If you want to us Paypal use [redacted] friends and family and dont mention gun stuff at all or they will go bananas! LOL!

Let me know what you want to do.
Thanks,
Rob
Cowboy wrote on MBIZI SAFARIS's profile.
Good afternoon, please send me a list of pricing for 2022.
NTH wrote on JimT's profile.
Hey Jim, I read that you’re from Dequincey and just returned from Africa. I’m from Lake Charles and went there in April. What outfitter did you use and would you share your experience and pics? I won our trip to Kuche through DU.
gprippers wrote on SAFARIKIDD's profile.
Hello! Nice rifle! I have IDENTICAL rifle in 375 H&H so i was wondering what gunsmith did the work on it? Appreciate it and if you decide there is anything you are willing to take in partial trade, let me know. I have quite a few pistols, long guns and sxs & o/u shotguns as well.

Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular.

Thanks,
Rob
Bearhunter46 wrote on Philip Glass's profile.
Philip, do you still have the 416 for sale?