.300 Savage

Kevin Davenport

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
USA,
Has anyone used this in Africa? I've used a .300 savage on whitetail, mule deer, and a small bull elk. I think it would be a decent cartridge for plains game up to Gemsbok, maybe a wildebeest.

Should be fine if you can shoot it accurately. Similar to a 308 giving up some FPS, but with the right bullet, ie 150 gr or 165 gr should work fine, just do not try to stretch its limits on long shots.

I agree that it is close enough to the .308 that there should be no problem.

Used sensibly it should prove to be useful on game up to kudu size.

Largest caribou I ever took was with a .300 Savage and 150 grain Winchester "Silver Tip" factory loaded ammunition - (caribou are not very "impact resistant").

Likewise, I have shot the heads off ptarmigan ("snow grouse") with it so, it is capable of excellent accuracy in some rifles.

Mine was a 1950's vintage Remington pump action "Woodsmaster" with factory brass bead front sight and Lyman receiver/peep rear sight and was as accurate as most bolt action hunting rifles.

My sons learned to hunt with it instead of the more traditional "kid's first deer rifle" (the dreaded .243, which I see as primarily an excellent varmint cartridge that can be used on deer and antelope - as long as you are an above average rifle shot - not the best beginner's deer cartridge at all - IMO).

Personally, I feel that the .300 Savage is one of the best cartridges to give to a young/beginning deer or PG hunter but, I would recommend a bolt action if one is available (the old Remington model 722 was made in this caliber and usually not expensive when located these days.

This cartridge was supposed to compete in ballistics with the .30-06 / 150 grain loading .... "but in a short action" (sound familiar ?).

However, in today's factory ammunition it is somewhere between the .30-30 Winchester and the .30-06.

Not that this is any reason to avoid the .300 Savage (I really like it actually, mostly for nostalgia but also for it's very mild recoil).

Anywhoo, for adults who presumably will not have trouble with recoil from a regular .308 and / or a .30-06, the .300 Savage has no advantage and actually will be more difficult to find ammunition for, even in N. America but especially so in Africa.

In the question of the .300 Savage being adequate for African PG or not, in ballistic terms - I would recommend using 180 grain bullets and would specifically be nervous about using it on truly large so called "Plains Game" such as, eland or giraffe.

But for animals like kudu on down in size, I bet it will do very well.

I hate to correct you old codger:p but that would have been a Gamemaster if a pump gun. Woodsmaster was the semi auto.:p:D:eek: You let these duffers go to Alaska and they forget everything!:rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Largest caribou I ever took was with a .300 Savage and 150 grain Winchester "Silver Tip" factory loaded ammunition - (caribou are not very "impact resistant").

Likewise, I have shot the heads off ptarmigan ("snow grouse") with it so, it is capable of excellent accuracy in some rifles.

Mine was a 1950's vintage Remington pump action "Woodsmaster" with factory brass bead front sight and Lyman receiver/peep rear sight and was as accurate as most bolt action hunting rifles.

My sons learned to hunt with it instead of the more traditional "kid's first deer rifle" (the dreaded .243, which I see as primarily an excellent varmint cartridge that can be used on deer and antelope - as long as you are an above average rifle shot - not the best beginner's deer cartridge at all - IMO).

Personally, I feel that the .300 Savage is one of the best cartridges to give to a young/beginning deer or PG hunter but, I would recommend a bolt action if one is available (the old Remington model 722 was made in this caliber and usually not expensive when located these days.

This cartridge was supposed to compete in ballistics with the .30-06 / 150 grain loading .... "but in a short action" (sound familiar).

However, in today's factory ammunition it is somewhere between the .30-30 Winchester and the .30-06.

Not that this is any reason to avoid the .300 Savage (I really like it actually, mostly for nostalgia but also for it's very mild recoil).

Anywhoo, for adults who presumably will not have trouble with recoil from a regular .308 and / or a .30-06, the .300 Savage has no advantage and actually will be more difficult to find ammunition for, even in N. America but especially so in Africa.

In the question of the .300 Savage being adequate for African PG or not, in ballistic terms - I would recommend using 180 grain bullets and would specifically be nervous about using it on truly large so called "Plains Game" such as, eland or giraffe.
I hate to correct you old codger:p but that would have been a Gamemaster if a pump gun. Woodsmaster was the semi auto.:p:D:eek: You let these duffers go to Alaska and they forget everything!:rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You are too right.
I stand corrected, it doubtless was a "Game Master".
All these "Master" names are just too much for this old geezer to keep straight, twenty something years after I owned one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondU66

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross