300 PRC options

Rimshot

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I have a hole in my lineup! I don't own a 30 cal magnum, which is odd given the versatility.

I think I've settled on the 300 PRC, since I reload and I think the design has a lot of practical advantages over the competition. I'm open to other .30s, but I'd really like a 1:8" twist to handle all bullet designs instead of being limited to the shorter ones. 26"+ barrel length would seem to be optimal for the cartridge, especially given it's longer than even the 300 RUM COAL. Threaded barrel for silencer would be a bonus. Lighter weight is good, but I don't feel the need to spend thousands extra to save a few ounces with carbon fiber. I'd actually prefer wood, but that seems rare for this.

I do like single shots, but I see that the Winchester 1885 300 PRC is "no longer in production". The Blaser K95 in various 30 calibers comes with a disappointingly slow 1:11" twist barrel.

The Browning X-bolt Pro looks promising. Christensen Arms has a few options. A lot of the other players either have shorter barrels or slower twist rates. Anyone have opinions on the X-bolt Pro? Suggestions or some neat options I might be overlooking?

I have owned several Christensen arms ridgeline rifles now, from 300 prc to 6.5prc, 28 nosler, and the 6.5 Creedmoor. I am a huge fan of their ridgeline series because of what it offers but is still somewhat reasonable price wise. You can buy them online for about $1650 shipped if you find the right store. I think it fits what your looking for perfectly due to being lightweight and with a threaded barrel. You just won't have a wood stock which is damn near impossible to find on most rifles these days anyway. I also am a big fan of the 300 prc because it's already set up to shoot the high BC bullets and buying a gun with a 1:8 twist gives you any option you could want.

I shoot with a suppressor as well. My 300 prc with hand loads will shoot half moa. My other rifles are all very accurate as well and have been around .5 to .8 moa. I'm sure I could get better but I just never saw the need to try and shrink any of those groups as the loads were all found with a very small amount of development so I just ran with the easy route The 28 nosler is my worst shooting one at the .8 moa.

The only change I've done is changed out the stock on them. I really like the style of the McMillan A3. The ag composite alpine hunter is dang near the exact same thing. With edge fill on the McMillan you can get pretty lightweight. Depending on what all you put onto the gun you can easily be under 10lbs scoped and with a bipod.

Here is my last group of 5 shots with the 300. I realize every gun is different but with that said, I've had good luck with the ridgelines I own and have nothing bad to say about them at all.

PXL_20210815_174236421.jpg

My mate was looking at .300 PRC, He said Howa make them if you are looking for an affordable workhorse.

I own a .300wm sporter, my second one.

I might consider a .300Norma if I were looking for something different or Long Range

I’ve owned Christensen rifles as well but it’s a Remington action with a larger bolt throw. If you use a 30 mm scope (Swarovski) the rubber piece on the dial came into contact with the bolt when extracting a cartridge.

I bought a Fierce Carbon Fury Rifle which is essentially a Ridgeline but on a Sako action (shorter bolt throw).

Both rifles shoot lights out BTW.

@Rimshot - I went through something similar looking for the latest and greatest .30 caliber at the time. Not wanting to be anything like the earlier generations. It absolutely had to be fast. Gotta have that threaded barrel, muzzle break, suppressor...the list goes on but you get the point. I bought a 300WSM because it was the early 2000's and at the time it WAS the latest and greatest. I also consider this purchase one of my biggest learning experiences.

What I learned - There is very little new under the sun. The 30-06, 308WIN and 300WM have all of (my) practical hunting ranges covered for the game I wish to hunt up to and including Elk out to 350 yards. Another thing I learned is that a muzzle break sucks for everyone except the shooter and I don't want to be "that guy" in hunt camp or at the range. I learned to shoot appropriate calibers without the need for a brake. Lighter rifles are generally better, because rifles are carried much more than they are shot. A 300WM that weighs 7.5# or less with a scope makes a great rifle to carry and is easy to learn to shoot well. Lastly is ammo availability. I've seen guys leave their ammo in the truck at the bottom of the mountain, turn to a buddy and ask for a handful of 30-06 because there is ALWAYS a 30-06 in a hunt camp. If I'd forgotten my ammo, it would not have been the same. Several lessons were learned with this one rifle. I sold the rifle a few years later and now have a 300WM to cover my .30 caliber needs.

If you have specific need for twist rate or you want a 300PRC because it's different or cool or whatever, you should get it for those reasons. What I'm saying is that the game you harvest at 300 yards isn't likely to know the difference between any of the .30 calibers I've mentioned.

Just finishing up a safari with a 300 PRC. It was my pick for plains game when I went about having a rifle for that purpose built. Absolutely love the caliber and the performance is absolutely devastating.

A7B0B9D3-E0D6-4940-8B56-B6AFE0F9566C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finishing up a safari with a 300 PRC. It was my pick for plains game when I went about having a rifle for that purpose built. Absolutely love the caliber and the performance is absolutely devastating.
Beautiful wood! Is that a custom rifle?

What I learned - There is very little new under the sun. The 30-06, 308WIN and 300WM have all of (my) practical hunting ranges covered for the game I wish to hunt up to and including Elk out to 350 yards. Another thing I learned is that a muzzle break sucks for everyone except the shooter and I don't want to be "that guy" in hunt camp or at the range.

If you have specific need for twist rate or you want a 300PRC because it's different or cool or whatever, you should get it for those reasons. What I'm saying is that the game you harvest at 300 yards isn't likely to know the difference between any of the .30 calibers I've mentioned.

I'm mostly in agreement about there being very little new: Probably why my most frequently used rifles are 80 to 100 years old, chambered in things like 8x57IR, 250 Savage, 6.5x55...even my new guns are in old chamberings like 9.3x74R, 30-40 Krag, 22 Hornet etc.

I also have no use for muzzle brakes and wouldn't buy a gun that had one unless it could be removed (and thrown away).

But...I do think the 300 PRC offers something that wasn't available before without swapping in a custom barrel with a specially reamed chamber. The ability to shoot long bullets without cramming them way down into the case, while fitting in a magnum action, and a fast twist to stabilize them. Check out the Barnes 212 LRX 30 caliber bullet. The Barnes and most other heavier monometal bullets require a 1:8 twist. The aerodynamic bullets have a nice advantage in wind deflection even at reasonable hunting ranges, also I have no use for light bullets in a 30 magnum.

You also make a good point about range. If 300ish yards were enough, I'd just use my 9.3x74R and call it a day. Once things stretch out much further, I don't currently have anything suitable at the moment for larger (elk sized) game.

I’ve owned Christensen rifles as well but it’s a Remington action with a larger bolt throw. If you use a 30 mm scope (Swarovski) the rubber piece on the dial came into contact with the bolt when extracting a cartridge.

I bought a Fierce Carbon Fury Rifle which is essentially a Ridgeline but on a Sako action (shorter bolt throw).

Both rifles shoot lights out BTW.

It seems like some rifles get close but they miss the mark somewhere. Fierce only offers a 24" barrel with 1:9 twist unless I'm missing something. Do you think a VX6 would work on the Christensen without interference? Any opinion on the X-bolt pro, or is it not in the same league?

What a great looking rifle! What’s the parts list and who’d you have build it?

I'm mostly in agreement about there being very little new: Probably why my most frequently used rifles are 80 to 100 years old, chambered in things like 8x57IR, 250 Savage, 6.5x55...even my new guns are in old chamberings like 9.3x74R, 30-40 Krag, 22 Hornet etc.

I also have no use for muzzle brakes and wouldn't buy a gun that had one unless it could be removed (and thrown away).

But...I do think the 300 PRC offers something that wasn't available before without swapping in a custom barrel with a specially reamed chamber. The ability to shoot long bullets without cramming them way down into the case, while fitting in a magnum action, and a fast twist to stabilize them. Check out the Barnes 212 LRX 30 caliber bullet. The Barnes and most other heavier monometal bullets require a 1:8 twist. The aerodynamic bullets have a nice advantage in wind deflection even at reasonable hunting ranges, also I have no use for light bullets in a 30 magnum.

You also make a good point about range. If 300ish yards were enough, I'd just use my 9.3x74R and call it a day. Once things stretch out much further, I don't currently have anything suitable at the moment for larger (elk sized) game.
Fair enough...and beyond 500 yards there is a clear advantage that the 300PRC gives over the 300WM. Inside of 500 yards the numbers are very similar with less than 10% difference in velocity and energy depending on (factory loaded) bullet/weight/load. At what range would you consider taking a shot Elk sized game?

EDIT - Never mind. I'm just too damn old and stuck in my ways. You should have your 300PRC and not have to justify your reasons to anyone. I can honestly say that I hope you enjoy your new rifle, whichever one you decide on. Apologies for the rant.

I think the vx6 might work. There isn’t any rubber on the power dial to interfere.
I looked at the x bolt pro tungsten when I was shopping. It’s a nice rifle but I don’t think it’s in the league with christensen and fierce.

My 2¢ for a factory gun is the Christiansen in 30 Nosler. Another 2¢, Shooting ranges that caliber was designed, use another bullet besides a Barnes and go with a ten twist.

If you can swing a full custom, go with a 30-28 Nosler. That's on my list to fill the .30 opening.

The vx6 will work on the christensen. The 90 degree bolt throw on any remington 700 clone action is the downside. I prefer shorter throws like found on browning and Weatherby mark v rifles but I've learned to live with these and make them work. I use the vx6 scopes on all of mine. I like the 3-18x50 scopes on them as it still gives me the best cheek weld. My buddy went slightly bigger on his rifle and it doesn't feel quite as natural to me because it does sit higher on his rifle. Same stock and gun on his too but if I remember right, he has a 56mm vx5 scope and had to go with a high mount to make it clear. I use dnz game reaper 20moa medium one piece mounts and it gets the scope damn close to touching the barrel but still enough away that it works. Any larger diameter scope like mentioned above and you'd need to make sure to go with a high model.

This is my 6.5prc with the vx6 on it so you can see how close it'd be, same clearance on my other rifles as well.

Screenshot_20210828-072616.png

Fair enough...and beyond 500 yards there is a clear advantage that the 300PRC gives over the 300WM. Inside of 500 yards the numbers are very similar with less than 10% difference in velocity and energy depending on (factory loaded) bullet/weight/load. At what range would you consider taking a shot Elk sized game?

EDIT - Never mind. I'm just too damn old and stuck in my ways. You should have your 300PRC and not have to justify your reasons to anyone. I can honestly say that I hope you enjoy your new rifle, whichever one you decide on. Apologies for the rant.

Ha, no need to apologize! No rant was perceived. I enjoy discussion about the finer points and nuances.

If I already had a 300WM, or even dies/brass, it probably wouldn't be worth starting over with the PRC. However, since I'm starting from zero and never shoot factory ammo anyway, the PRC appears to do everything the 300WM does and then adds on the flexibility for several long, heavy for caliber bullet designs that the 300WM isn't capable of (without a custom barrel and chamber, of course). I'm not the type of person that ever forgets to bring ammo, so that advantage of the 300WM isn't useful to me.

Same with the various 6.5mm cartridges. I already have 6.5x55s in various rifles, so I doubt I will ever own a 6.5CM because the x55 handles heavy bullets just as well, and the CM offers nothing besides a short action. I'll probably never own a 6.5 PRC either, because I already have 6.5x284s. If I had no 6.5 rifles? Well, then I'd probably give the modern ones serious consideration.

As for maximum range for shooting at game? My best answer is that "it depends". I don't get any special thrill from shooting at animals from far away, and prefer to be as close as practical, but having the capability gives flexibility. I can shoot out to 850 yards on my property. In steady wind conditions that aren't strong/gusty, I can confidently hit a 10" target beyond 600 yards from improvised field positions with a certain 6.5x284 I've been tinkering with for a long time. With only a light wisp of wind, stretch that to 700. I can tell you that a laser rangefinder, chronograph data, and high ballistic coefficient bullet is essential to long range accuracy. The more aerodynamic the bullet is, the less accurate your wind estimation needs to be. Ethical range on game will always be variable for me based on conditions and my current level of proficiency. In light winds with plenty of time, a good position, a stationary animal, and with that particular rifle I've practiced with, I would take up to a 600 yard shot if that were my best or only opportunity. I know this topic opens a whole new can of worms.

The vx6 will work on the christensen. The 90 degree bolt throw on any remington 700 clone action is the downside. I prefer shorter throws like found on browning and Weatherby mark v rifles but I've learned to live with these and make them work. I use the vx6 scopes on all of mine. I like the 3-18x50 scopes on them as it still gives me the best cheek weld. My buddy went slightly bigger on his rifle and it doesn't feel quite as natural to me because it does sit higher on his rifle. Same stock and gun on his too but if I remember right, he has a 56mm vx5 scope and had to go with a high mount to make it clear. I use dnz game reaper 20moa medium one piece mounts and it gets the scope damn close to touching the barrel but still enough away that it works. Any larger diameter scope like mentioned above and you'd need to make sure to go with a high model.

This is my 6.5prc with the vx6 on it so you can see how close it'd be, same clearance on my other rifles as well.
Just the info I needed, thanks! I've got a spare VX6 3-18x44 I'd probably use. I do like the dnz mounts.

What a great looking rifle! What’s the parts list and who’d you have build it?

@Rimshot It is a custom rifle. Griffin & Howe All American with some upgrades, modifications, etc. it is a hell of a gun. The process was very fun and the folks there are best of breed. I have Pendleton and Superior load ammo for me and they can turn it around quickly. It’s a .5 MOA gun, at worst … though I am not better than that. The gun really is devastating to everything I have hit with it … and over the last 21 days, that was quite a few critters.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rimshot It is a custom rifle. Griffin & Howe All American with some upgrades, modifications, etc. it is a hell of a gun. The process was very fun and the folks there are best of breed. I have Pendleton and Superior load ammo for me and they can turn it around quickly. It’s a .5 MOA gun, at worst … though I am not better than that. The gun really is devastating to everything I have hit with it … and over the last 21 days, that was quite a few critters.
Just did some research on Griffin & Howe and the Pendleton and Superior companies, and all I can say is wow that is a great find! Would you mind if I PM you about your experience using both the G&H fitment service and the load development service?

Reactions: AES

@Rimshot is not offended by your rant and does not see any need for a 6.5ManBun so we can all agree on that.

I'm happy as long as they don't start bashing that Stupid, Useless, Outdated and Redundant belt on our .300wm cases.

Seriously, no brake, no option for suppressors and can shoot my .300wm on the bench for sighting in and don't notice the recoil so much on game in the field. Being a Tikka magazine length restricts seating depth but it's a factory hunting rifle and I would use it on plains game or a Bear if ever I get to hunt bear.

Now a .300PRC, If I needed a long range rifle I would consider it, I would consider it in a Chassis or Long Range style stock configuration I guess . It might make sense to get the best fit and a more vertical grip along with appropriate glass.it could still be used hunting but I do like the traditional looking rifles.

I might weigh up if I would go .300PRV or .300 Norma,

On my budget Howa make a .300PRC

My mate ended up with a .338wm for ammo/ components availability and because he is culling Sambar on contract. He wants them to stay dead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,