300 Holland and Holland

larry4831

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Found a gun shop that has a pre 64 model 70 Winchester in 300 H&H. The rifle looks about 95% and the bore looks good. Could I get some ideas on what it would be worth? I like the model70 and I really like the 300 H&H caliber.

Gunbroker currently has 7 Winchester M70 in 300 H&H for auction. The prices listed are the current bid, not the asking price. There are 3 of the auctions that have a "Buy Now" price listed. Suggest you put these 7 on your "Watch list" and see what they ultimately sell for. Or you might find one of these listed more interesting than the deal you are looking at. Either way, best of luck to you!

upload_2016-5-7_9-13-48.png

upload_2016-5-7_9-9-29.png

In April, 2015 I passed up a custom M70 in 300H&H at Tulsa.. The dealer was from one of the Carolinas. It was about $2500. I have whined about to myself ever since...

Found a gun shop that has a pre 64 model 70 Winchester in 300 H&H. The rifle looks about 95% and the bore looks good. Could I get some ideas on what it would be worth? I like the model70 and I really like the 300 H&H caliber.

$1800-$2000

Drilled and tapped lowers it. Williams or Lyman sight inletted into wood lowers it.

Cabelas had one such specimen for $1500 that sat for 6-12 months. What a glorious weapon for less than a new FN clone! I love vintage so maybe I'm biased?

Not sure if it will lost on the readers, but the G&H scope mount is worth $500 used alone! If G&H records indicate they did the work or sold the rifle, price goes up.

I'm getting a G&H mount installed on a rifle this month: costs $1000 now! :(

So yeah, it's a really good value.

Not sure if it will lost on the readers, but the G&H scope mount is worth $500 used alone! If G&H records indicate they did the work or sold the rifle, price goes up.

I'm getting a G&H mount installed on a rifle this month: costs $1000 now! :(

So yeah, it's a really good value.
I am acquainted with the Griffin and Howe scope mounts on older rifles that were not drilled and tapped. I did not know that it increases the value of the rifle though. I would have thought that it may decrease the value since it is not particularly attractive in my view. I have never shot a rifle equipped with the a scope on a G & H mount. Is this increase in value primarily with collectors or with hunters also?

I was speaking to the value of the mount, not to the appreciation of the gun. The latter is subjective. Sometimes lowering value, sometimes neutral, sometimes increase.

It is an age appropriate mount contemporary with the rifle in question. It in my opinion is neutral value. -$500 originality loss. +$500 utility value gained.

It is the best mount in the world for a gun of that era and make. It will hold its zero when reattached. Tremendous value to the hunter.

I am acquainted with the Griffin and Howe scope mounts on older rifles that were not drilled and tapped. I did not know that it increases the value of the rifle though. I would have thought that it may decrease the value since it is not particularly attractive in my view. I have never shot a rifle equipped with the a scope on a G & H mount. Is this increase in value primarily with collectors or with hunters also?

Had a horse drop and roll about 150 yards off the side of a mountain with my G & H in the scabbard; remarkably gun was fine and the G & H scope mounts never lost zero. I have a few G & H and none have ever lost zero. Pretty is as pretty does.

Edited to add an afterthought. Make sure the scope you provide at time of having G&H do gun is one you intend to keep or one at same size. G & H scope mounts are as low to bolt as scope will allow. You can not put a larger scope on without having the mounts reset - more holes in your action. Most older G&H's sit very low and only accommodate a small tube.

Last edited:
Hi guys, was thinking about what I said about the G & H scope mounts. They are two piece, and it wouldn't be difficult to just have the side plate re tapped or order a custom side plate or just a solid and tap it yourself, aligned with same action holes, for the purpose of affixing a larger scope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois