300 H&H Craig Boddington "Kudu" advice

I chronographed Nosler factory 180gr ammo in that rifle after the throat was cut and it registered roughly 200 ft./s below the factory claim.

There is no reason to cut the throat if you’re going to shoot factory ammo.
What Tarbe said!
I have not shot any factory ammo through it, but I would assume groups to open up with that much jump to the rifling at standard COL.

BLASTFAMY! But if I did I would recommend Nosler Trophy Grade 180 accubonds. As Tarbe said he had the throat cut .2 longer so that he could seat the longer mono metal bullets out further and give a bit more case capacity. I load 180 peregrines for that rifle and it shoots lights out!
I have shot the Nosler loads through my Pre 64 Winchester 300 H&H and they just over 1/2” at 100 yards. I believe Norma loads their Oryx bullet for 300 super but don’t hold me to it.
Cheers,
Cody
I have and do shoot Nosler factory Trophy or Safari on several of my rifles. They are always better than the other "stuff", but you pay for it dearly in the cost unless you watch the factory site closely and catch a big 2 for 1 sale. My .264 and .275 only are fed Nosler factory ammo unless I am just wanting to burn some rounds, then may shoot cheaper stuff. The only reason Nosler is not going with me to Africa in July with my .404 is because I couldn't get them with TSX bullets. My son has made up my TSX rounds for this trip over!

EA, I should warn you that Tarbe has a disease/madness. He has to attend a Handloaders Anonymous meeting once a week!

I can quit any time I want! :LOL:

One word "Bang" No celebrity endorsement will ever take a normal factory rifle and appropriate it. Shoot it and have fun! The 300 H&H is a great little round that will take care of your plains game needs.

One word "Bang" No celebrity endorsement will ever take a normal factory rifle and appropriate it. Shoot it and have fun! The 300 H&H is a great little round that will take care of your plains game needs.

Thanks, though I have to say I've long since taken care of those needs with other rifles lol. This is just for, hopefully, some longer range fun than my 270 can give me. Though I have to admit that I'd love to take a Kudu with this Kudu!

@Eventually_Africa Bullet jump is something that target shooters worry about because it is harder to get boat-tail bullets going straight down the barrel and short-shank VLD bullets, i.e. bullets with very short parallel sections are even trickier to deal with. This will not be a problem with hunting bullets and a case with a decent neck. The .300 H&H has a nice long neck. N.B. The short case-neck nutters (and they are exactly that) go for short necks in order to load more propellant in the case.

@Eventually_Africa Bullet jump is something that target shooters worry about because it is harder to get boat-tail bullets going straight down the barrel and short-shank VLD bullets, i.e. bullets with very short parallel sections are even trickier to deal with. This will not be a problem with hunting bullets and a case with a decent neck. The .300 H&H has a nice long neck. N.B. The short case-neck nutters (and they are exactly that) go for short necks in order to load more propellant in the case.

I appreciate the heads up, thank you! I picked up some 180 grain bullets and the rifle should be in next week, can't wait to let you all know how it handled! Of course I'm tempted to leave it without a scope, but the odds are I'll root around in the ole cabinet until I find some glass for the top.

I guess I will chime in and say that I have three #1s and all three have been to Africa. If you got the rifle at a good price....go shoot it in Africa.

I guess I will chime in and say that I have three #1s and all three have been to Africa. If you got the rifle at a good price....go shoot it in Africa.

I think I got it at a good price (at any rate my wife isn't filing for a divorce over it :ROFLMAO:) and I just ordered some rounds. Looks like, at the least, it will get some range time!

Good morning all!

Well I got my rifle back from the gunsmith last night and took it out to the range. Having had a very negative experience with the 300 WinMag I was worried that perhaps I'd let the "gun bug" run away with me and would be selling this rifle shortly (the Win Mag was horrible to shoot, it kicked like a mule and after 10 rounds I was done for the day). I am very happy to report that the 300 H&H performed like a dream. I put 10 rounds down range (our indoor range is only 30 yards and I use it to make sure the bore sight is on paper before I take it to the outdoor range) and had no issues at all. The recoil is a "thump" to be sure but not a "jab" and that makes a huge difference. I just want to thank the AH community for introducing me to this great new round!

Nice acquisition! I wish it were mine... On the topic of reloading, I won't aurgue about potential accuracy improvements, but it allows me to afford to shoot as much as I like. It also gives me access to bullets I would not otherwise be able to find here in Canada.

Nice acquisition! I wish it were mine... On the topic of reloading, I won't aurgue about potential accuracy improvements, but it allows me to afford to shoot as much as I like. It also gives me access to bullets I would not otherwise be able to find here in Canada.

I can see that. I cannot seem to find any good 200 grain factory bullets, it handles the 180's just fine though! Still I imagine eventually I'll head over to the reloading forum as well. It seems to be the way this addiction runs it's course :ROFLMAO:

I can see that. I cannot seem to find any good 200 grain factory bullets, it handles the 180's just fine though! Still I imagine eventually I'll head over to the reloading forum as well. It seems to be the way this addiction runs it's course :ROFLMAO:
There are folks out there that will reload for you. At least then you can get the bullets/loads you want. But reloading is fun, it's not hard, and it provides a much cheaper way to do a lot of shooting and get familiar with you guns.

I just want to thank the AH community for introducing me to this great new round!
It is truly a great round, the Holland and Holland Super 30 made its debut in 1925, it has definitely been over shadowed by the new magnums but it will never be out classed! Glad you like your new rifle!

It is truly a great round, the Holland and Holland Super 30 made its debut in 1925, it has definitely been over shadowed by the new magnums but it will never be out classed! Glad you like your new rifle!

I think you are correct. As I said, I can handle this one far better than the 300 WinMag. In fact I also handle my 375 H&H better than the WinMag!!

I would shoot it and not think twice. I shoot everything I own, even the stuff that is iffy, I just can't help myself.
That’s what they were made for, I ain’t ever had a good looking woman around the house just for lookin at! Haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois