.300 H&H ammo

rigbymauser

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Living here in Denmark one has to look hard to find ammo for what considered oddball calibers. Today I was lucky. 13 boxes of .300 H&H Winchester Silvertips.

As I recall the Silvertip was known to blow-up, but for smaller softskinned game I ain`t worried....and for $350 what does one get in these times?....

OTcpwoBl.jpg

Your Silvertips will also work on any plains game in Africa.

I was fortunate enough to hunt a huge eland bull in 1982 with a pre '64 Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .300 Holland & Holland Magnum (loaded with pre '74 made 220Gr Winchester Silver Tips). Photo can be seen on my media page.

The early Winchester Silver Tip bullets had a jacket which was made from a mixture of copper, zinc & nickel. These were absolutely fantastic. Then, in 1974 ... Winchester (in an attempt to cut corners and reduce manufacturing costs) switched the jacket material to aluminum. The new Winchester Silver Tips became notorious for expanding too quickly on game without proper penetration.

The lesson here is that whenever a company begins to sell products after reducing manufacturing costs, run the other way and never turn back. This will never end well.

Living here in Denmark one has to look hard to find ammo for what considered oddball calibers. Today I was lucky. 13 boxes of .300 H&H Winchester Silvertips.

As I recall the Silvertip was known to blow-up, but for smaller softskinned game I ain`t worried....and for $350 what does one get in these times?....

OTcpwoBl.jpg
Wanna sell a couple boxes?

That is a good buy. Hope they are old style silver tips. I have heard and know people who have used them in 375 h&h on brown bears successfully.
Krish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!