AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DU, NRA, Alaskan Wild Sheep, SCI
Hunted
Tanzania, USA, South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique
Hey Guys!

As some of you know I finally finished my .458 Win build. So far the gun is sweet, but I have only been shooting 500-510 grain bullets out of it. I am starting to have enough brass to think about reloading for it. Does anyone have any good 300 grain loads worked up? I'm think deer and Hogs are on the docket for this fall. NO Buffs Just yet.

I don't, but you may also want to give a look at this bullet:

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=FB_S258_RAPTOR

I've used this in my .458B&M and it is crazy accurate. I shot a 1.25" 4 shot group at 200 yards with these. They might be a bit tough on deer however.

If you do give it a go, contact the guys at CEB and they'll provide you some starting loads. Expect to use a very fast burning powder.

55 grains of IMR 4198 with the 300 grain bullet. Should get you about 2,100 fps.

Use magnum primers to help ensure reliable ignition.

I have gone as low as 50 grains, but ignition can get spotty...don't go below 54 grains.

Tim

I am tried 80 Grains of H335 but it produced horrible accuracy 4 inch group at 100 yards... So right now I am going to try some 75 gr - 79 gr and see which is going to produce the best accuracy... MY goal is to get this load as close to 2600FPS as I can safely.... I might have to start trying new powders...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,